PDA

View Full Version : 10 month old CANNIBAL kitten?!! Please help!!

SammyCat
07-22-2006, 10:39 AM
My 10 mo/ old female kitten had her babies last night. She gave birth to a black kitten and 3 hours later she gave birth to a tabby kitten. I left her in the room to do her business (not to intrude) and when I peeked in, the second kitten she gave birth to was dead? I saw a wound at it's stomach (what should have been it's umbilical cord?) I refused to believe it was dead and just left my 10 month old kitten to lick the stuff off it so it can breath. It was 2 am and I was so tired so I went to bed..

This morning I awoke to my horror. The 2nd kitten was no where to be found, while the black kitten was drinking it's moms milk.

My question is, if a kitten gives birth to a kitten and it is dead.. will it eat it? If not what will it do? I lifted up the towels and did a little search but couldn't find anything. I'm afraid it ate it or I might find it somewhere :(

Please help.. oh and my kitten got pregnant by it's own BROTHER, will there be something wrong (like humans)?

Also, when I feel my kittens stomach it feels a little bulky, like there's more kittens in there..

help please

jazzcat
07-22-2006, 11:53 AM
Oh how sad. My guess is that she carried the dead kitten off, away from her and the live kitten. You better look around really good.

If you think she still has kittens inside you better get her to a vet quickly. As for inbreeding, I would think it works for cats and dogs like it does humans. It can cause problems with the offspring. I know that back in the 80s Cocker Spaniels were very popular and there was lots of inbreeding. My sister bought one from a "breeder" and he had serious behavioral issues (acted retarted). The vet said it was due to inbreeding.

I hope when she is finished nursing you will get the momma cat fixed, and her brother, so this doesn't happen again.

critters
07-22-2006, 12:27 PM
I saw a wound at it's stomach (what should have been it's umbilical cord?

Since she's only a baby herself, I wonder`if she might've accidentally hurt the baby while cutting the cord? Puppers are particularly known for accidentally injuring a baby, such as taking off an arm or leg, so it seems that a kitty might accidentally get too close to the baby's belly. As for where the baby is, I could only guess.

I totally agree with spaying her as soon as possible.

CultureJunky
07-22-2006, 01:29 PM
I would suggest taking her to a vet if you think there are still kittens left inside, she could be having problems giving birth and this could cause her to hemoerage and die. The kitten that is lost I would imagine she's hidden it somewhere where she doesn't want to be near it, away from her and her other kitten.
My cat Doris had a deformed kitten in one of her litters once, it's legs were backwards and it's intestines on the outside, she bit it on it's neck to kill it and then moved it away from her and the rest of the kittens to let it die.

Have a good search around the house, if you can't find it it is possible that she's eaten it, though I've never heard of that myself.

It's very important she is spayed as soon as it's okay for her, and also spay her brother, this will cut down his roaming instincts and his mating instincts towards her and other females in his terratorial areas.

catmandu
07-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Pouncette ate one of her babies that was born dead,all I found was a tiny little head.
I named the little head, and buried Pouncer 2 in the Flower Bed.
Its thier instinct to eat a dead Kitten, as they dont want to attract predators.
We hope your Momma Cat and Kittens will be all right.

moosmom
07-22-2006, 04:12 PM
Gary is absolutely right.

I also agree with everyone here, if she hasn't given birth to all her kittens by the time 10 hours comes up, it's time for a trip to the vet, ASAP!!

SammyCat
07-22-2006, 10:28 PM
Hi thanks you all for your replies.. :) Much appreciated

I was going to get my kitties spayedneutered last month but we moved and it's been so hectic

I am going to get it done asap. also I am goig to keep the kittens so no worries. :) will get them fixed when it's time also :)

Catty1
07-22-2006, 11:27 PM
Try to get momcat to a vet asap...or even phone and ask them how you can tell if there are more kittens.

Would hate to see an infection crop up!

hugs!
Catty1

QueenScoopalot
07-23-2006, 12:24 AM
Chances are the mom cat did eat the kitten. Sad fact of life, but there are many species that will kill, eat, or abandon malformed offspring. What I find very curious is the fact that your first threads on Pet Talk were mostly questioning cat breeds, gestation time, etc. Your babies were 3 months old when you adopted them from an obviously terribly run shelter (or maybe not)...the burning question is..why did you allow your cats to breed in the first place? Many vets are skilled at doing alters on kittens provided they weigh at least 2 lbs. Not to be harsh, but if you had ANY clue just how many cats & kittens will never find a home, and have been killed in the few minutes it took me to type my thoughts here :( ..... I'm sorry, but can you enlighten me as to why you allowed this to happen?
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=72277
I truly hope you understand what I'm saying...I mop up everyone else's mess on an almost daily basis, and 95% of their upkeep is out of my pocket. :rolleyes: It seems clear to me that all along you fully intended to allow your cats to reproduce. :( You posted this in Feb. when they were 3 months old. Ample time to get both altered. Please spay & neuter your adult cats and the kittens born as well, and be part of the solution instead of adding to the problem. ;) . Sadly there are BYBs of cats as well as dogs. :rolleyes:

I think I've given out the wrong idea. I wasn't intending that I want my kitten to have babies. I was just saying.. The idea of my questions is Can a cat give birth to multipal breeds of kittens?

Example:" A cat gives birth to a black, white, striped, and grey kitten in one litter. The father is the same breed as the mother.

I just don't understand. How can a cat have different breeds of kittens?

It's like a white woman giving birth to a black baby.

I just dont understand, thats why i am confused.

Please help me, I am getting a headache

Lizzie
07-23-2006, 01:43 AM
I'm confused also, after looking at all your previous posts. You've worked at a shelter, so you know the problems. Your Sammy had kittens last year because she got out of the house one day - the kitten who just had kittens was one of hers? You've now got Herc, Sammy, the new mother, her brother, and at least one kitten. Are these all your reponsibility now as was Sammy when you got her? You had a hard time coming up with the funds to buy worming med., so I'm concerned about how you are going to cope financially with yet more kittens. Are your parents going to help you?

catmandu
07-23-2006, 11:07 AM
A Cat may have different color Kittens, if there is more than one father.
Or one Kitten can take after the Mother, the other Kitten the Father.
Cat Genetics can be complicated, as my friend who is a Breeder has told me.
Miquelito looks like no Cat in the previous 2 generations as hes Orange, and they are darker.
Theres no corealtion between Cat coloring and Peoples.

SammyCat
07-23-2006, 11:39 AM
HI Hercules is neutered he is approaching 6 or 7 years. My parents got divorced and I moved to this new town 2 weeks ago. My mom started her own business so we have alot of money.

let me clear up the confusion.. my dad lives 2.5hrs away from me.. he is housing hercules and my black male kitty, which is going to be neutered in a week.

I had a kitten months ago. I think she was ferral. she was so afriad of everything and hid all the time. My moms friend is old and like animals so she adopted it.

My new 10mo old which is just have its babies is a new kitten. My sisters friend lives on a farm and needed somone to adopt. So we did.

I'm taking them all to the vet today, thanks for your replies :)

SammyCat
07-23-2006, 11:43 AM
oh about the post i made, that was a year ago and i didn;t nknow alot about that. I thought all animals are supposed to have babies?

Because I always see in the newspaper that they have kittens. So I thought I should know when my kitten was going to have babies

sirrahbed
07-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Good for you having the kitties neutered and taking them to the vet today. Did you ever find any trace of the missing kitten? Hope momma cat and the other kitten are doing well. Yes, this forum is a good place to learn things. I am sorry to read about the divorce of your mom and dad - but glad that you and your mom are doing better now.

Keep posting and let us know how everyone is doing after the vet visit ok? :)

CultureJunky
07-23-2006, 01:16 PM
I guess deep down I did know that shem probably ate the kitten, but didn't want to think about it cause it's quite upsetting to say the least!
It's hard to think of such beautiful animals doing things like that which to our nature would seem horrible. Poor cat she must have been quite stressed to have eaten her baby.