PDA

View Full Version : How do you cook bacon?

Flatcoatluver
07-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Yes, I am still a veghead. It's for my Zoey, for her dog show tormorrow and Sunday.
So I have it on the right temperture and everything but I don't know when it's ready. My mom said I could tell. But I can't. Help!! :confused:

Vela
07-21-2006, 01:15 PM
if its flubbery and still whitish it's not done, if its nicely browned and crispy it's done, if it's black, it's overdone.

Dorothy39
07-21-2006, 01:19 PM
There are now 2 ways to fry bacon.

Now that we have microwave ovens, frying bacon is not as messy.

If you don't have a special "bacon" tray for your microwave, fear not!!!

Just place as many strips as preferred onto a micorwavable plate, and, cover it with paper toweling.

I set my timer on a minute per strip. so, three strips, 3 minutes,--

If it still looks too "un done", I just add another minute, untill it is crisp but not burnt.

You can pan fry it, but , this requires standing over it at all times, turning each strip and setting the heat at the correct temperature. Electric stoves versus Gas stoves , as well as the pan used, make for constant checks.

I'd use the microwave method if I didn't eat bacon a lot.

binka_nugget
07-21-2006, 01:19 PM
*nods* What Vela said.. :p But don't worry too much.. being a dog, Zoey will be able to handle a bit of raw bacon just fine. :)

Dorothy39
07-21-2006, 01:21 PM
Yes mam, I forgot this was for a dog!!!! :D

Dorothy39
07-21-2006, 01:23 PM
Wait a minute, isn't raw pork dangerous? :D :confused: :D :D Just kidding!!!

Now, I want BACON, Thanks!!!!! :eek:

Flatcoatluver
07-21-2006, 01:39 PM
So it's burned, but I am sure she will still like it. I did to much of multi-tasking and didn't check this thread in time. Oh well! :p

Dorothy39
07-21-2006, 02:13 PM
So it's burned, but I am sure she will still like it. I did to much of multi-tasking and didn't check this thread in time. Oh well! :p
It's only bacon honey!!! You get many more chances in this silly bacon game!!!! :D I've been there, I've done that myself!!!!

The dog won't even care!!! :D :D :D

RedHedd
07-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Now that we have microwave ovens, frying bacon is not as messy.

If you don't have a special bacon tray for your microwave, fear not!!!

Just place as many strips as preferred onto a microwavable plate and cover it with paper toweling.

I set my timer on a minute per strip. so, three strips, 3 minutes,--

If it still looks too "un done", I just add another minute, until it is crisp but not burnt.
This is what I do. I will never fry bacon again. Also, most of the fat is cooked out especially if you have one of the special microwave bacon cooker racks where the fat drips down into a receptacle.

Barbara
07-21-2006, 04:06 PM
If you fry it in the pan at low fire you will have more chances to check plus it is not as messy- and it will end up just as golden and crispy. And yes: Zoey will like it anyway :D

cyber-sibes
07-21-2006, 04:13 PM
A timely thread...I just made delicious BLT's for lunch! The pan's still hot...

I do mine in a frying pan on med-hi heat. Put it into a cold pan, when it starts sizzling, run a spatula under it to keep it from sticking. let it cook till it smells good, then flip it over carefully with a spatula & let the other side cook. If you need to, gently spearate the strips with your spatula and a fork so you can press the fatty ends into the grease to cook right. Drain on paper towels, and SAVE the bacon grease for the furballs, too. Mine absolutly go bonkers for a tablespoon of bacon grease on their kibble!
The key is finding the right temperature - hot enough to sizzle, but not so hot you start to see smoke - that's a bad thing, move off flame immediately! And if you're a novice, here's a tip - pour out the bacon grease in between batches of bacon - if you add raw bacon to hot grease, it can result in a massive explosion of hot sputters all over you & the stove.
I've done it in the microwave, too - it's ok, but you don't have all that delicious bacon grease then.

k9krazee
07-21-2006, 05:14 PM
I HATE frying bacon, I always end up getting burnt :o I'm making hotdogs for Jack's show this weekend...I never really thought about bacon...but I might have to try it ;)

king2005
07-21-2006, 08:20 PM
I do mine on the grill YUM.. The fat leaks into the cracks & the bacon doesn't burn! YUM

I also like my bacon soft :) BUT I cannot have much as I cannot digest post.. stupid tummy! I can't even touch ham.. I get sick for days off ham & its very painful.. almost like food poisning

DrKym
07-21-2006, 09:45 PM
mentions freeze dried liver for shows....................................... :rolleyes: