PDA

View Full Version : People who feed bones

sparks19
07-21-2006, 10:20 AM
What kinds of bones would it be ok to give my dog. I know nothing cooked or anything and I already got him a soup bone that he doesn't like lol but what other types of bones can I give him?

i need something for his teeth. They are in great condition right now but I would like to keep them that way.

Lori Jordan
07-21-2006, 12:36 PM
Whatever you do DO NOT Give chicken bones i give my guys bones off a roast everything else they look brittle and fall apart,

.sarah
07-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Actually, chicken bones are fine raw. They are very pliable and are the easiest to chew besides bones of smaller animals. :) My guys get raw chicken with bones all the time!

sparks19
07-21-2006, 01:01 PM
Actually, chicken bones are fine raw. They are very pliable and are the easiest to chew besides bones of smaller animals. :) My guys get raw chicken with bones all the time!

What part of the chicken? Like necks or are we talking breasts with bone in. are they good for his teeth too?

K9soul
Whatever you do DO NOT Give chicken bones i give my guys bones off a roast everything else they look brittle and fall apart,

I hope you aren't giving bones from a cooked roast. Bones should always be raw, cooking makes them brittle, they can splinter as well as more easily chip and break teeth.

Vela
You shouldn't give cooked bones to a dog ever, from any meat source. Just about any raw bones are fine. Raw chicken bones are perfectly safe and uch safer than a cooked bone.

CathyBogart
07-21-2006, 01:05 PM

Raw chicken bones are perfectly safe. I give my two chicken backs occasionally, or drumsticks or wings. For teeth cleaning (recreational bones) I like to give them things like beef ribs (pork is too rich for my two and they throw it up).

sparks19
07-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Raw chicken bones are perfectly safe. I give my two chicken backs occasionally, or drumsticks or wings. For teeth cleaning (recreational bones) I like to give them things like beef ribs (pork is too rich for my two and they throw it up).

Beef ribs aren't really big but would they still be ok to give to Teddy. he is a pretty big boy and a BIG chewer.

cyber-sibes
07-21-2006, 01:08 PM
I give mine raw chicken- backs, legs, wings. Most husky owners I know also feed raw chicken backs & stuff to clean their teeth. I like them because they are pliable. Star broke a tooth on a hard bone. I also give them hoofies, (cow hooves) with and without the foot. They love them.

binka_nugget
07-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Pretty much any appropriate sized, raw bone is okay. My dogs get chicken bones almost every day. They also get beef marrow bones here and there for recreational chewing.