PDA

View Full Version : what does it mean when a cat snorts...

carole
07-19-2006, 03:50 AM
I am a little concerned for one of my cats Ella, she was fine all day sleeping inside on the couch, as it was raining here and all the cats were happy sleeping inside, then she did this big yawn and snort, at first i just laughed as i had never heard a kitty do that before, anyhow she was fine until this evening, she started snorting all the time until she fell asleep again and stopped, is she ill? does it mean she has a cold or what, or something stuck in her nose, i have no experience with this and so i am hoping someone here can give me some advice, she is eating and drinking normally and seems ok otherwise, but she has never done this before, should i be concerned?

Laura's Babies
07-19-2006, 06:42 AM
I have heard mine do that from time to time and I think it is because they have something in their nose. I am alway pulling small wads of fur out of Amy's nose.

moosmom
07-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Carole,

Since she's eating, playing and pottying normally, I'd keep an eye on her. As long as she doesn't start sneezing, getting gooey eyes and major congestion, it could be nothing.

If for some reason she starts getting symptoms of a URI, (including a temp of between 102-104) I'd take her in for a check up with the vet.

aki
07-19-2006, 09:04 AM
Chuck does it all the time. He has allergies and was doing it last night. Sneezing too. I wish sometimes I could get him to blow his nose in a tissue! LOL

Sometimes he if he is meowing in rapid sucession, he will snort.

~Aki

catmandu
07-19-2006, 09:24 AM
I wouldnt worry about it, as he could have a bit of dust, or fur in his nose.
Moose The Magnificent snorts all the time.

kuhio98
07-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Halo snorts too. She has asthma but she is basically healthy.

carole
07-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the re-assurance folks, actually this morning she is fine no snorts at all, so i guess she must have had something up her nose or could be allergies, silly me for panicking, but what i don't need right now is another vet bill,between dentists and vets we are stoney broke,ah well all is well so far ,so fingers crossed that is all it was.

Miss Z
07-19-2006, 05:25 PM
What kind of cat is she? If she is a breed with a fairly flat face it's perfectly normal. Zsa-Zsa used to do it all the time.

carole
07-19-2006, 05:41 PM
No she is just a moggie as we call them here, no specific breed, and she has not got a squashed face at all quite the opposite, she is ok now thats the main thing, glad i came here to ask as i have never heard a cat do that before,but then Ella is an unusual kitty in some ways,has very different vocal sounds that none of my other kitties make, when you pick her up you would think she is in pain as she kinda squeals, but rest assured she is not , has always done that from day one.

BigB_Kittys
07-19-2006, 10:33 PM
I don't think its anything to worry about. Snowball does his snort routine everytime he wakes up from a sleep and/or yawns and he's been doing it for years. One of these days I'll have to try and get a video of it.

Brian
Ontario, Canada