PDA

View Full Version : A New Feline Friend.

ShylanHal
07-19-2006, 02:45 AM
A few weeks ago I found a cat...
well, actually, it was the cat that found me.

She was young, probably no older than a year. Tiny for her age, and very thin. Emaciated was also a given, being that she was a stray, but she looked healthy and bright other than that. With bright gold green eyes that reminded me of rays of sunlight poking in through a forest canopy.
She was a tuxedo girl, long black fur along her back and tail and white for her legs and underbelly. Her face looked a bit like a zorro mask, with the black wrapping around to her nose but letting everything else be white; exept for the black blotch on her chin, and the white marking on her forhead that had at first reminded me of a parralellogram, but then it quickly dawned on me that it looked like a third eye in her forhead.

When I first met her, it was amazing how much I needed a friend. At that time my signifigant other (whom I love and miss very much) was sent with his family to visit some friends in another state, a "self discovery" mission. He didnt' want to go, but he was forced, and we could hardly talk to each other via email, phone, or instant messaging because of this fact.
So of course I was desperate for some loving attention from someone other than my father, who was stressed out because of the divorce that he was going through, trying to escape his wife and my mother.

Anyway, on the first day i met her, it was nearing evening. I had a friend over to spend the night, as it was summer and we were out of school, and had lots of free time on our hands. Her boyfriend had decided to stop by to say hello to her, and as they were off to the side talking to each other and having a slightly romantic moment, I was left alone to my thoughts.
I was about to go back inside and let my friend come in when she wanted to, when I heard a "MEOW!" behind me.
I spun around to see that it was this young feline, small and bright eyed and looking very awake and interested in me. I reach over to let her sniff my hand, and she immediately starts purring like a 747 jet engine, butting her head against my hand.

The first thing going on in my head was why this young cat was over here, as the landlord doesn't allow felines, indoor OR outdoor, anywhere on her property. I wondered where her owners where, or if she had been abandoned since she must have just lost her kittenhood, if she had a name. Then suddenly it hit me like a bulldozer would a milk carton: "CLOVER!!!!!!"

It was a very random thought, but there was obviously a reason for it. I've read books about how cats can have psychic connections with people they trust, perhaps this was her way of telling me her name...?
No, of course not. I'm just a stranger that she met just now, what interest would she have in me other than a simple pet before she went on her way.

Well, you wouldn't believe how wrong I was.

She followed me around all the rest of the evening, and when I went inside, I could hear her meowing out there for my attention. I didn't dare bring her inside, as such an act could get me and my father evicted, but I couldn't just let her stay out there alone. I snuck a small meal out with me (not exactly the brightest idea, I suppose, but she was so thin!), the last of the sandwich meat and a leftover burger from the night before. I wasn't sure how she'd take to boca burgers, but they taste like meat, and in all actualities they aren't much different than most cat foods, which some are now almost 70-80% veggitable matter.
Anyway, she ate like a... like a... well, like a starving cat. She snarfed it down in seconds. I was tempted on getting her more, but I was afraid that she would eat til she could burst, as she was small, and I was sure that the meal I had already supplied her would fill her up.

As soon as she finished eating she promptly went on a quick grooming spree, cleaning her paws and her whiskers and adorable kitty cheeks, then yet again promptly jumped onto my lap and curled into a little ball and dozed, her jet engine purr going off at full tilt.

She wouldn't leave our small porch area for the rest of the night, or really for the next several days, except to sleep in a small tree/bush near the car ports and perhaps to hunt for mice or something in the nearby wetlands.
She meowed for me even when she hadn't even seen me or heard me, and she knew which window to sleep under at night, every night, to meow a good morning to every morning.

After a few nights, I realized that she was not going to be going away any time soon, and the cat that my father had promised me when we moved to a better place seemed to have come a few months early.
Clover may have come a several months early to live with me, but she came at just when I needed a friend most.

Of course, when I tell my father that this was the cat that I wanted, he was furious.
We can't keep a cat here! How are you going to take care of it? he asked me
Well, I wanted to see if a friend could take care of her for a few months until we move out to a better place.
He took what I said with MUCH skepticism, as I have been known to be a bit of a lazy sort of person, preferring to sit on my ass and read or draw my comics than to do much work around the house.
But I persisted.

At one point I even took her to Astoria with me and my father to visit a friend of the family, who said that though she couldn't take care of her, she was welcome to come and visit.
She didn't much like the car ride, but she fit in very well in the house, and curled up next to me to sleep every night after her explorations, her jet engine rolling away happily until she fell asleep to my petting her.

The first place I called was of a close friend of mine, Dannielle, who's had many a rescued cat in her house over the years that I've known her. But no, she didn't have enough room, they had four cats, and their landlord was stretching it with that. They couldn't afford more than that.
Dead end there.
I turned around and asked about the Humaine Society here, to see if they had a sheltering program.
No. They took in strays and as soon as they set foot in the kennels they were put up for adoption.
My greedy heart wouldn't allow me to put her there, for I wanted her for myself, and I just knew that if I allowed her to go there, she would be gone in an instant; being the wonderful and loving girl that she is.

Dannielle then calls me, telling me of a friend of hers, and mine, who was getting back to town in a few days, and that I should ask her if she would be willing to take her in.
I set to emailing her immediately.
She replies: Yes, of course I can take care of Clover for you!

It was the miracle of the day.

So we take her to the vet to get her some shots, get her checked out for feline leukemia and feline aids, neither of which she had-thank god!- and bought her a good supply of feline goods. A toy (we're a bit tight on funds, so we couldnt' get more than one. Plus she'd have plenty once she got to Melinda's place, along with other cats.), a litter box, food, dishes, and a few other things, including flee drops, to get rid of those pesky critters.

She is now happily staying at Melinda's house, queen of the temporary castle, gaining weight steadily and flee free, with feline friends abound.

I'm so glad that I have such good friends with me, and that I have such a wonderful feline. I just wish she could be living with me, as my greedy heart is yet again jealous that Melinda gets to have Clover curled up next to her with her jet engine when she sleeps instead of me.

ShylanHal
07-19-2006, 05:30 AM
.....Sorry if I bored you with the length...

To make the story a bit shorter:

I wanted friend;
Clover came when I needed her most;
I found a temporary home for her;
And now I'm waiting for the time when I move to a better place to keep her.

Miss Z
07-19-2006, 06:04 AM
That's a really cute story. It's amazing how cats can make you feel happier in situations. Whether she lives with you or not, you know you have a friend ;)

Laura's Babies
07-19-2006, 06:12 AM
That is a wonderful story and well written. They do seem to pick us and when they do, there isn't very much we can do about it. I have one (Samantha) that picked me. A neighbor found her on my doorstep crying to get in and took her home to keep her... but everytime she let her out, she would come sit on my doorstep and cry to come in. This went on for 2 years before that neighbor who was neglecting her terriably, let me have her. Samantha and I have been together for 2 years now and she lets me know every day how much she loves being here and I have never regretted having her as part of my feline family. I adore her just as much as she adores me.

I can't wait to see pictures of Clover, she sounds really lovely with how you described her markings.

CultureJunky
07-19-2006, 06:23 AM
That's such a great heartwarming story. I really hope that things work out and you move to somewhere where you can keep clover with you.
It's so great that you have the opportunity to home here with a trusted friend who will take good care of her.
Thats' so wonderful that you took her in an paid her attention when she needed it, it seems like you both needed eachother at the right time.
That sometimes happens with cats I reckon. You find eachother and it's all right and seems to fit.
I can't wait to see lots of pictures of clover soon when you have the chance to take some photos.

ShylanHal
07-19-2006, 12:21 PM
I just found this one photo of her that I made when I was up in Astoria with her. I'll try to get more later.
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/2741/dsc00018xa1.jpg
See? Her face even looks a bit like a clover! :D

That's Clover in her favorite sleeping spot when I was away, which she got to by crawling UNDER the cabinetry and around it through a tiny space between the cabinets and the wall, and then through a hole that the electric went through to get to the stove.
It wasn't exactly the safest place for her when she went through, but we sure had a scare when our friend couldn't find her while I was away! but as soon as I walked in the door she gave out a happy welcome meow, though she didn't come out.
She was scared of the little boy that was there XD

She also got herself lost between the drywalls and the actual concrete basement walls, since there were about four or five inches of space between them.
She mainly got herself lost (and I am not kidding, it was really funny and cute) because I decided to let her come out on her own time, and went to sit in the miniature apartment down there. I heard her meowing, and I meowed back, because it's fun to have mini conversations with your cat, and she always ended up right next to me, which oddly enough was in the opposite direction that you needed to go to get out.
Finally I went back to the intrance and called to her there, and after just a few minutes there she was, popping out of the hole with the attitude that she liked it back there and she MEANT to get lost.
I had to brush her fur to get all that stray bits of drywall out.

catmandu
07-19-2006, 07:02 PM
You certainly did not bure Cat Lovers with you story.
We are loooking forward to Clovers Gotcha Day with you, and more Photos.
Bless you for giving Clover that second chance.

ShylanHal
07-19-2006, 10:55 PM
I'm planning on taking pictures tomorrow when I go and visit my friend Melinda who is taking care of her for me.
I hope to post them up here in the next few days.

You should see the new kitty tag I got for her collar! I'm so proud of it.
I spent literally ninety percent of my available pocket money for it... which was only nine dollars, but I think I got the best one.
I got it at Petco, which I know for a FACT is NOT the best store to go to for your pets, but it was the nearest one on short notice, and the only one that I can really afford while living with my dad still looking for a job.
The Tag says

"Clover
Beloved"
And my cell phone number

I'm very proud of it ^_^

Beauty17
07-20-2006, 03:08 PM
I read your story to the very end and I liked it. I like your drawing, too. It's beautiful. (So is Clover, and Clover is a beautiful name.)

orangemm
07-20-2006, 03:31 PM
What a happy and wonderful heartwarming story! You and Clover are so lucky to have found each other!!!

Just when you needed someone the most, there she was, eager to love and be loved!!

She is beautiful and her name suits her very well.

Keep us posted!!

Donnaj4962
07-20-2006, 03:38 PM
What a very heartwarming story... and I think most everyone on here would agree that our kitties "find and adopt us"!!!! :D Sounds just like what happened with you and Clover. I am glad that your friend is taking good care of Clover until she can come live in her furever home with you and your Dad.

Welcome to PT!

sasvermont
07-20-2006, 06:26 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk!

What a wonderfully written story. I hope you continue to share with us and I hope that your future will include writing. You have a calling my dear.

Again, welcome. And do let us know more about you and your feline friend. Keep us "posted"! OK?

Great, great story. Now I can go to sleep and have sweet dreams about a little black and white kitty, soon to have a new owner who loves her very much.

P. S. What about spaying her? You know, they grow up very quickly and you don't want ....well, you know the drill.....! :eek:

Terminalvelocity
07-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Oh, I agree! A wonderfully well written story and very, very interesting. Not one boring sentence. Yes, you do have talent and I'm sure you'll warm many hearts with stories about Clover.

She's a beautiful kitty and it sounds like she has picked you for a soul-mate. How lucky you are. I hope the two of you can live together very soon. I think she'll bring you luck and great joy.

Congratulations. Not many are picked that way.

ShylanHal
07-20-2006, 08:29 PM
I just got back from biking around town, and I had gone to my friend Melinda's house to see Clover.
That was when I put the tag on her collar, and I WOULD have taken some bloody pictures but I FORGOT THE BLOODY CAMERA!!! >_<
It's a nice digital one, too, so I coudl have uploaded the piccies up right away. Gosh darn'dit.
But I AM going back there tomorrow, and I'm putting the camera in my back tonight so I don't forget. Plus Mel has already taken several pictures of her that she just needs developed, and then I'll be able to find a way to scan them and post them up here (we don't have a scanner, but I'll find a way).

It was so sweet, I haven't seen her for over a week (I was down in Colorado two days after I dropped her off at my friend's) and so I wasn't entirely sure if she would really accept me back, seeing as how she was fitting in so well in her temporary home, but as soon as I walked in and said "Clooover!" I heard her "Prrreeeow!?" and she came sauntering out, like she didn't really believe it was me.
But as soon as she saw it was me she wouldn't leave me alone for more than a few minutes at a time, and I always had to be in the same room with her (unless she had to go to the bathroom). I watched a movie with Mel and Clover spent almost the entire thing curled up against my tummy as I lay on my side on the couch, purring like a jet engine.
I am the only person she bumps her head against, and still am. She doesn't do it with anyone else, so there's my reward. She still knows me and loves me!

sasvermont: I have been writing many stories, and hopefully I'll be able to actually finish one in the next ten years or something and publish it, perhaps make a bit of money from it. If I ever do, keep your eyes open for a book that's about a land called Grenwold, where most ALL of my stories are based.
The picture isn't mine down there on my signature, I can't draw quite as good as that yet.. My drawings still look a tad bit more cartoony than that. I'll post some of my own art up some time with Clover's pictures, once I find a good scanner.

As well as for her spaying, we're planning a trip to the vets within the next month or two. She's and inside cat, and the only males there are neutered, so I'm not worrying all that much right now, but we will be spaying her soon.
Though I am tempted to see what her kittens might look like if she ever has any. I love kittens.
But yes, I am going to get her spayed.

I plan on keeping you posted! And thanks so much for the warm welcome!