PDA

View Full Version : Need advice, please

ThumperFlower
07-19-2006, 01:01 AM
I'm in need of some advice...My aunt was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, she makes frequent visits to the doctor for chemotherapy and other meds, ect. She is the sweetest woman I know, but she is going through a lot right now. All of the stress is too much for her, to top it all off..her husband had a stroke yesterday, he is in the hospital, having seizures..I cannot even imagine what is going on in her mind. She is just having an awful time lately. Her children are not much of a help to her, as they don't treat her very well. Well, I'll get straight to the point. She has a dog, that we bought for her about a year ago before all of this happened..a pomeranian. She is an animal lover, and has always taken excellent care of her dogs, her previous dog died after living a great 14+ years, and she really wanted another..so we got her the pom. However, I am worried that she isn't able to care for the dog properly, because of recent events..and I know it is not her fault, that she has a lot on her plate..and she loves her dog, but I would hate for the dog to suffer through this. The dog has broken her leg by jumping off a bed when it was younger..I don't want something to happen to her because she isn't being supervised.. I don't know if I should ask her to let me care for the dog..maybe atleast until things calm down a bit at her home..I may be out of line, but I want to be sure the dog is being cared for properly. I live about a 6 hour drive from her, so I can't make trips up there to check on them or anything..I plan on visiting her very soon, and I'll check out how the dog is doing as well, but am I out of line for wanting to take care of the dog? Her children work, are in college, and her husband owns a business, and is in the hospital currently..so I think the dog may be on her own a lot..I don't know what to do..any advice is greatly appreciated. :confused:

Pawsitive Thinking
07-19-2006, 04:25 AM
You may find that she is glad if you offer to take care of the dog for her - one less thing for her to worry about as she knows her pet will be in good hands. She is lucky to have you

Lady's Human
07-19-2006, 06:49 AM
I would make arrangements with a neighbor of your aunt and ask them to check in on her and the dog. If your offer to take care of the dog would require that you take the dog with you, find another way. Your aunt has had enough stress, and the pup may be her only stress relief at this point.

Laura's Babies
07-19-2006, 06:58 AM
That is my thinking too Lady's Human. Animals help to calm and cheer up and I would think this is a time when she needs her comfort more than ever. That dog could keep her going when she would feel like giving up.

Having said that, I would let her know IF it was to big a burden on her to care for the dog, that you would come get him and keep him until she is feeling better.

jackie
07-19-2006, 04:54 PM
I agree that the dog may be one of the only good things going for her right now.

You can ask her if she needs extra help with walking the dog, or if she is out for a long period, she can drop it off with you. That will leave it open if she needs you to take care of the dog on a more long term basis.

I hope things start to look up for her and your uncle.

ChessyFreak
07-25-2006, 01:55 PM
I think she would me more than happy if you just offered to take the dog for a while. I am a nurse and people are alot more at ease when they know their dogs are being taken care of. People really worry alot about pets when they are sick, you would be suprised. It also may be hard for her to ask for help, so if you put the offer out there, it will be easier to take. :)