PDA

View Full Version : New tiel had to go to the ER vet.

My Peanuts
07-18-2006, 01:38 PM
but she is ok now. Here is the thread where I adopted the girls Other thread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=108911) Last night, when I had Riley and Spanky for less that 36 hours, I decide to take them out of the cage for a bit. Well those plans got cut short. Riley's wings are clipped and Spanky's are not. Spanky flies past Riley and me sitting on my bed. Riley tries to fly and lands on the floor. Not a big fall. I've seen worse and the birds are fine. Well, Riley broke a blood feather and she was bleeding. My brother and I tried to stop the bleeding, but I realized it needed to be pulled and I don't know how to do it. We were at the ER avian vet within 20 minutes of the fall. So now Riley is home and she is fine. I really couldn't believe this though. In the 10 plus years I've had tiels I've never had to deal with dangerous blood feathers.

My boyfriend is adopting Clifford tonight and literally 30 minutes before this happen he asked me about blood feathers. I gave him all the info and then I told him that I've never had to deal with a bad one. LOL! I'm never talking about potential ailments with my pets again! :rolleyes:

Chilli
07-18-2006, 04:19 PM
What a scare! Glad to hear she is alright, though. :)

My Peanuts
07-18-2006, 04:36 PM
I called the foster mom today that I got the girls (guys?) from and she made me feel so good. She said that these things happen sometimes and the fact that I got Riley to the vet so fast makes her think that I am the best mom they could get. :) It's always good to hear that kind of stuff. :)

Logan
07-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Diana, did they go ahead and clip the wings while you were there? I hope so! I must get Roger and Milly's wings clipped soon. I have waited too long, because of the eggs, but it is time.

I'm so glad the sweet thing is ok.

Logan

IRescue452
07-21-2006, 10:55 AM
I had always wondered if styptic powder would work on the feathers, at least until they can be pulled? any thoughts?

My Peanuts
07-24-2006, 12:19 PM
Diana, did they go ahead and clip the wings while you were there? I hope so! I must get Roger and Milly's wings clipped soon. I have waited too long, because of the eggs, but it is time.

I'm so glad the sweet thing is ok.

Logan

I don't like getting the wings clipped. Her wings are clipped which is why she tried to fly and fell. I know some people swear by it and I have no problems with it, but personally I like to keep them with full feathers.

My Peanuts
07-24-2006, 12:20 PM
I had always wondered if styptic powder would work on the feathers, at least until they can be pulled? any thoughts?

I know people say to use it, but my brother and I tried on Riley. She was flapping her wings and making it worse.