PDA

View Full Version : Local/Regional Sayings

kuhio98
07-18-2006, 01:17 PM
I thought it might be interesting to learn about local and regional sayings and phrases. You know? Things they say in your area that might be different elsewhere. For example:

From here to Timbuktu: This saying is usually means someplace far away or a long way to go. I think I heard it started in the Western World when Timbuktu (in Africa) was about the farthest place that had been explored by Europeans. I have a friend from Rumania who told me that their saying for this sort of things is ~ From here to Honolulu. Because to them (at least at one time), Honolulu was the farthest, most exotic, place they had heard of.

So here are some that we say in Alaska. They may also be used elsewhere, but I had never heard of them until I moved up here.

Lower 48: The 48 Contiguous United States. Hawaii doesn't count because it's not contiguous. We say, "Oh, he's from someplace in the Lower 48".

Outside: Any other place other than Alaska. See Alaska is the end all, be all. :p Any other place is "Outside". You might say, "We're planning a trip Outside." Which means you are leaving Alaska. Doesn't matter if you're going to "The Lower 48" or the Moon. You're going Outside. :D

So, how about your area?

JenBKR
07-18-2006, 01:21 PM
hmm we have several here in western PA. One that comes to mind is 'yuns,' kind of our version of y'all. "Are yuns going to the party?"

Also chipped ham. I just recently learned that you can't go into a store and order chipped ham just anywhere, it's a western PA thing. It's ham lunch meat, chipped up :D

"Pop" is another, I know most places it's called "soda" but not here!

Miss Z
07-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Oh my gosh, there are loads! And you need to hear how they're pronounced to get the full effect, but here are some...

eighup! (hi!)
trouble a'mill (there'll be trouble)
Ah y'reet? (you OK?)
Ah'm reet jiggered (I'm worn out)
On yer bike! (go away!)
A shut meawth keeps flies awt (keep your mouth shut and you'll stay out of trouble)

And one of my all time personal favourites (this is even in a book it's so good)

Tha go'a face lak a constipated blud'ownd!
(For God's sake, smile and cheer up!) :p :p :p

Laura's Babies
07-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Here is Louisiana..."AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" It is just something you yell when you are having a wonderful time! The "AAAA's" are a lower note, the "EEEEEE's" is done in a higher note.

I know you all know the differance between a Yankee and a Da**** Yankee?
A Yankee is the one who comes to visit, the da****Yankee stays!

My sisters husband is a da*****Yankee but we made a true grit out of him! Yessirrie, he even likes da grits.... and it is true what dae say about de south, you order breakfast and dae really do put da grits on da plate.

Maresche
07-18-2006, 02:06 PM
That State up North..Most Ohioans are rabid OSU fans and OSU's primary rival (footballwise) is Michigan. So we don't refer to Michigan by it's name. It is just that state up north.

Lizzie
07-18-2006, 02:15 PM
I'm from Derbyshire but we moved to Leicestershire when I was ten, and that's when I first heard "eyup" for hello. I never liked it and never used it, but my brothers loved using it all the time.

"Nesh" is a word I haven't heard used anywhere else. It means someone who feels chilled very easily. So, if someone slips on a cardie when it drops from 75F to 73F, they are nesh.

"You daft 'apporth" is an expression I got from my step-mother, and I still use it. Since a halfpenny isn't worth much, it's a double insult.

Glacier
07-18-2006, 02:53 PM
Outside is used here too. If you are leaving the Yukon and going anywhere except Alaska, you are going "outside". Alaska and the other two Territories don't count as Outside!

I imagine these two are probably used in Alaska too...If you are new to the North and have not yet lived here for a full year(including one full winter), you are a "cheechako". Once you survive a full year, you are a "sourdough".

Cinder & Smoke
07-18-2006, 03:02 PM
... here in western PA ...

:D

Ya mean Picksburgh, don'cha?
:p

We moved to Pittsburgh, PA, when I was about 5 years old ...
and I learned Pittsburgese as my Native Language! :eek:

Wherever I go, people say "You talk funny - are you from Pittsburgh?"

How funny?
Check out this web site >>> http://www.pittsburghese.com/ (http://www.pittsburghese.com/)

I've prolly used most of the Phrases, Nouns, Verbs, and Places listed in the
Glossary - and STILL use some of em!

:)

JenBKR
07-18-2006, 03:04 PM
:D

Ya mean Picksburgh, don'cha?

We moved to Pittsburgh, PA, when I was about 5 years old ...
and I learned Pittsburgese as my Native Language! :eek:

Wherever I go, people say "You talk funny - are you from Pittsburgh?"

How funny?
Check out this web site >>> http://www.pittsburghese.com/ (http://www.pittsburghese.com/)

I've prolly used most of the Phrases, Nouns, Verbs, and Places listed in the
Glossary - and STILL use some of em!

:)

Oh yes, Picksburgh indeed! I'll have to check out that site, as I am sure there are many I know. We certainly have our own language, don't we :p

kuhio98
07-18-2006, 03:05 PM
I imagine these two are probably used in Alaska too...If you are new to the North and have not yet lived here for a full year(including one full winter), you are a "cheechako". Once you survive a full year, you are a "sourdough".
Yep! A cheechako is a new comer here too. And a sourdough is an old timer. People who have lived in Alaska for a long time but complain and grump about it are also called Sourdough's. But, "They are Sour on Alaska but don't have the Dough to leave." :p

Another saying is, "Happiness is a Texan going down the road with an Okie under each arm." That came about during the building of the Alaska pipeline when thousands of men from Texas and Oklahoma came up here to work. Lots of folks were upset because they felt that Alaskan residents (even if they didn't have the required skills) should have been hired first.

Anita Cholaine
07-18-2006, 03:09 PM
Great thread!

There so many sayings in Argentina, but they wouldn't make sense if I translated them, anyways... I'll try to think of some that I can translate...

kuhio98
07-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Here is Louisiana..."AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" It is just something you yell when you are having a wonderful time! The "AAAA's" are a lower note, the "EEEEEE's" is done in a higher note.

I know you all know the differance between a Yankee and a Da**** Yankee?
A Yankee is the one who comes to visit, the da****Yankee stays!

My sisters husband is a da*****Yankee but we made a true grit out of him! Yessirrie, he even likes da grits.... and it is true what dae say about de south, you order breakfast and dae really do put da grits on da plate.
Too funny! I guess it's all a matter of perspective. I met a lady in Galveston, Texas who refered to the American Civil War as "The War of Northern Aggression". She pronounced war as 'wa-wa".

elizabethann
07-18-2006, 03:17 PM
All I can think of is:

Ya can't get there from here.

JenBKR
07-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Does anyone else "read up" their room? Cheer for the "Stillers" football team? "Buy Sam a drink and get his dog one too!" No? It's a 'Burgh thang!

haha forgot one more: "Kennywood's open!" Don't ask me where it came from, but it means that your pants are unzipped (Kennywood is an amusement park 'round here)

slick
07-18-2006, 03:56 PM
This is a way cool thread, eh?
I'm trying to think of some Canadian sayings, eh? :D :D

Dorothy39
07-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Yes, this is indeed a good idea for a thread.

I've lived in Michigan all my life.

Pop--- was Coca Cola or Pepsi, Orange Crush or Vernor's Gingerale.

People who live in the Upper Peninsula are Yoopers, while , those of us who reside under the bridge are referred to as " trolls" :eek: , Geez, I am a troll folks!!!!! :(

The town , Charlotte, is pronounced Char-LOTT----since people living here in the early 1800's had a hard time pronouncing "french" names :confused:

"The Union" means UAW, since, Unions originated in this State.

Anyone who travels past St. John's is going "UP NORTH"---

and, if you move from lower Michigan to the Upper Penisula, you have become a "TROOPER".

cyber-sibes
07-18-2006, 04:16 PM
All I can think of is:

Ya can't get there from here. :D Yup, that's what ma brutha in Maine says, "ya can't get theya from heeya". and Mainers refer to us Ohioans as "flatlanders". At least here in NW Ohio, they're right!
Also, I don't know what you call it, but its POP in Ohio! Not soda, POP.

Laura's Babies
07-18-2006, 05:57 PM
My brother in law always asked us where we were going... we'd answer "down Yonder"..... After years of this he said he finally figured out where "yonder" was... It was my mother-in-laws house... Because whenever we said "down Yonder" we always ended up at her house.

Anybody ever go down the road apiece?

In Virginia where I grew up we went outdoors... In the south you go outside.... In Virginia it was a pocketbook... in the south, it is a purse.

(funny how all this stuff is coming back to me)

joanofark
07-18-2006, 06:12 PM
I live in Kentucky, but not in the part where veryone talks with a 'Southern Hillbilly' Accent, lol .

Hmmmm, I say the 'Pop' think for soda.

Also, *I* don't say it, but people with the southern accenet say 'Fixing too...' Meaning About to, or getting ready to.

Example: "She's fixing to have a baby..."

LOL

Pembroke_Corgi
07-18-2006, 06:26 PM
In Virginia where I grew up we went outdoors... In the south you go outside.... In Virginia it was a pocketbook... in the south, it is a purse.

I spent several years of my childhood in northern Virginia, where "gravel" roads in Iowa were "dirt" roads there. I also frequently heard, "Ya'll come back now, ya hear?"

In Iowa, the only things I can think of are: "Don't like the weather? Wait 5 minutes," which refers to the unpredictable weather, and I sometimes see bumper stickers that say "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa," referring to the movie Field of Dreams with Kevin Costner.

I don't know about Colorado yet! :)

Karen
07-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Probably peculiar to my family; "Go play in the swamp" - stop bothering me, kid!

Similar sentiment; "Take a long walk off a short pier"

Book - to go quickly, make haste - "Mr. Moran could really book it!"

Grinder = what Subway serves, but better

Packie: Liquor store, often official called a Package Store, which doesn;t make any more sense.

Wicked=good, also used as an adjective, so Wicked good means very good!

DrKym
07-18-2006, 08:08 PM
More nervous than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs

Don't know them from Adams housecat=new family

y'all need to go up the line a bit and tote your sister= go to the store and take the kid sister along

some Tennessee upbringing wisdom :rolleyes:

.sarah
07-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Also, *I* don't say it, but people with the southern accenet say 'Fixing too...' Meaning About to, or getting ready to.

Example: "She's fixing to have a baby..."

LOL
Oh man, I can't not say fixin' to unless if I think real hard about it lol.

Y'all is huge here. I don't think anyone from here says "you guys" or "you all".

Barking up the wrong tree - you're wrong.

That'll go over like a fart in church - they ain't gonna like that!

I did a search on the internet and found these, so don't blame me if they are used more than just here ;) We use them a lot here though.

AIM TO- plan to do
HOLD YOUR HORSES- be patient
RECKON- think or supose so.
SORRY- inferior quality, worthless, and lazy
SOUTHERN BELLE- Southern lady
SPRING CHICKEN- young thing
WORRY-WART- one who worries a lot

BOBS DAD
07-18-2006, 08:18 PM
JEN,

YOU JUST SCRATCHED THE SURFACE.

i don't recal ever using pittsburguese... but i sure knew relatives and friends who did!!!

OK.. I did use a few.

GUMBANDS - Rubberbands... I went off to college saying, do you have any Gumbands?

POP - Soda... I never heard Pop called Soda until much later in my teens.

JUMBO - Forget Chipped Ham... Jumbo was the ****. Of course, Jumbo is Baloney every where else.

IT'S HOCKIN OUTSIDE or the HOCK IS OUT - means that it is really cold out!!!

Dorothy39
07-18-2006, 08:31 PM
More nervous than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs

Don't know them from Adams housecat=new family

y'all need to go up the line a bit and tote your sister= go to the store and take the kid sister along

some Tennessee upbringing wisdom :rolleyes:
When stopping for a bite to eat in Georgia, I bought a little booklet titled" How to speak Southern"

It is hilarious!!!

i.e.

Madge=A state of wedlock that any preacher can put you into, but only a lawyer can get you out of.

Jawja=southern State just north of Florida.

Fem=A necessary ingredient in the creation of photographs.

Very entertaining booklet!!!!

davidpizzica
07-19-2006, 01:52 AM
Does anyone else "read up" their room? Cheer for the "Stillers" football team? "Buy Sam a drink and get his dog one too!" No? It's a 'Burgh thang!

haha forgot one more: "Kennywood's open!" Don't ask me where it came from, but it means that your pants are unzipped (Kennywood is an amusement park 'round here)
Jen, "Kennywood's open" sure brings back memories! And don't forget that in the winter the roads are "slippy!" and remember to buy groceries at the local "Gint Egl"

JenBKR
07-19-2006, 08:05 AM
haha Bob's Dad and David p good ones! I love Pittsburghese...but honestly I didn't know that gumbands was a regional thing, I actually thought that everyone called rubber bands gumbands! :eek: I think I've been living in PA too long!

king2005
07-19-2006, 08:25 AM
I say "eh" a lot & it means more then 1 thing..
-Nice weather eh? meaning "right", or "correct"
-What ya doin eh? damned if I know, but I say it a lot :confused:
-eh? meaning, "pardon me" or "what" or "what the hell are you talking about?" or are you crazy?"

Honestly I have no idea what "eh" means 1/2 the time, but its forever trapped in my vocab :rolleyes: Its how people know I'm Canadian :D

joanofark
07-19-2006, 08:44 AM
Y'all

HOLD YOUR HORSES- be patient
RECKON- think or supose so.
SORRY- inferior quality, worthless, and lazy
SOUTHERN BELLE- Southern lady
SPRING CHICKEN- young thing
WORRY-WART- one who worries a lot

I've hear ALL of theese!! I don't say many of them though!! :p

.sarah
07-19-2006, 09:07 AM
I've hear ALL of theese!! I don't say many of them though!! :p
LOL I do :o :p

shais_mom
07-19-2006, 09:17 AM
-I have noticed from my Michigan family members that if you reside in the upper half of the state if you are traveling to the lower half they call it downstate.
-I say a lot about someone moving fast - they are like a fart in a skillet.
-My dad says when you ask him how he is finer then frog hair - why do you say that - b/c frog's hair is pretty fine.
-The one that I have noticed people from other states say like MN and others is do you want to come with? instead of adding me, us or whatever and I always wait for the rest of the sentence.
-My friend that grew up around Picksburg (;)) said to us once when were walking and walking down the Navy Pier in Chicago - it just goes down there a piece we were like what the h^** are you saying?
-My sister traveled with a group to England back in high school and they were from Bowling Green OHIO and they wanted to know where she was from b/c of her southern accent. Bowling green is about a 45 minutes North of where we lived. :eek:
-My parents have a cottage in Grayling MI and if they are talking to someone sometimes they are asked how far south we are from. :eek: Now compared to people from really south that blows my mind b/c I don't think we sound alike at all.
-It is often stated here in Ohio it is hotter then a wh*^# in church and cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey. You can also be as nervous as a wh*^# in church

DrKym
07-19-2006, 09:46 AM
the southern counterpart to that LOl
Colder than a witches T*T in a brass bra :rolleyes:

then there is
Hotter than the Day satan fell and not much happier

Cataholic
07-19-2006, 11:35 AM
I **think** this is Cincinnati regional, to say "please?" or "sorry?" when you mean "what did you say?"

A "pony keg" is a drive through or walk up liquor (package) store where you can buy the obvious (alcohol), pop, snacks, cigs, etc.

sirrahbed
07-19-2006, 12:58 PM
In Texas, any sort of pop, soda or soft drink is a COKE :D

.sarah
07-19-2006, 01:04 PM
That's the way it is down here too! If you go to a restaurant and order a coke, the waiter asks what kind :p

sirrahbed
07-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Too funny! I guess it's all a matter of perspective. I met a lady in Galveston, Texas who refered to the American Civil War as "The War of Northern Aggression". She pronounced war as 'wa-wa".

YUP! "The War of Northern Aggression" is what hubby calls it too. But then, the matter of perspective is that hubby is from South Carolina.....he says that is the commonly used name.

animal_rescue
07-19-2006, 02:01 PM
hmm I don't know anything to hoosiery but I live on the "westside" aka rough part of town, even though it's not that bad, so I guess I could say I've learned some ghetto sayings.
Dip- running really really fast

Bust Down- someone that sleeps around

Nappy Hair- tangly hair

Aw Nawh- no way

and that's all I can think of right now

oh and here Pop is POP

Dorothy39
07-19-2006, 02:05 PM
I have done a little research into "Hoosier" dialect. As a child, I memorized poetry by James Whitcomb Riley!!!! My Mother knew many of his poems by heart and she taught me a few of them before I could even read.

"Little Orphan Annie" and "The Raggedy Man" are a few that I know by heart!!!!

I have a vast collection of his poems!!!!! :D

kuhio98
07-19-2006, 03:56 PM
This first time I went to Australia, I ordered a "pop" at a restaurant in Sydney. After choking and laughing for awhile, the waiter explained that pop means fart down under. :o I quickly changed my order to soda. :o

kuhio98
07-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Now these aren't common expressions in Alaska, but my Mom is from southern Illinois. She uses these 2 phrases regularly. "Well, that went over like a turd in a punchbowl" and "Well, that went over like a pregnant pole vaulter." :eek: Anybody else ever heard these?

lbaker
07-19-2006, 04:26 PM
Just a few off the top of my head from Maryland ("Merlin" in some parts :rolleyes: ) In Baltimore (Balmer) everyone is called Hon. Especially said by waitresses "Hey Hon, what can I get you?". And of course, as I'm often teased about by certain friends... it's not Virginians ~ it's "damned Virginians" because they steal our crabs from the lower Bay and don't even know how to make crabcakes :eek: :D

Edwina's Secretary
07-19-2006, 04:38 PM
"Back East" -- anywhere in the US that isn't California

"Freeway" -- any road with on and off ramps and no traffic lights or cross streets. What might be called an Expressway elsewhere (but always backed up so they aren't express) or a tollroad or a highway.

"The" -- numbered freeways take an article...as in "The five" or "the 91."

"Have a good one" -- this is used in place of "thank you" in retail establishments (along with "no problem" which equals "you're welome.") I always wonder what I am to have good. Good day, good life, good afternoon?

momoffuzzyfaces
07-19-2006, 04:38 PM
WOW!!! Who woulda thunk it!!!
Kansas is the most "normal" state in the union!!!! ;) :D

Chilli
07-19-2006, 05:30 PM
I love this thread! :D I never even thought about all the different saying in different parts of the US/world.
I've already heard all the ones around here already mentioned. Ours is just the typical "ain't, yuns, yonder, reckon, ya'll," etc...

((PS, soda is called soda here. ;) The only time people say Coke is when they're referring to either Coke-cola or Cocaine^^!))

Kater
07-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Interesting thread. Since my family is scattered all over the U.S., I enjoy making fun of whatever quirky slang they use when we get together.

Here are some words and phrases that are local to Hawaii...

Stink eye – also known as evil eye, a confrontational/angry glare

Talking stink – also known as talking smack, or gossiping about an individual

Bumbye – eventually, when we get around to it, someday

Choke – a lot, many

Grind – to eat voraciously, Grinds refers to food

Onolicious – really yummy & delicious

Junk – no good, rotten, lousy (used a lot)

No can – impossible, not feasible

Kay den – alright

Try – please

Lolo – crazy, insane or also stupid, idiotic

The mainland – used most commonly in reference to the contiguous U.S.

Slippers – we do not use this term to refer to fuzzy bedroom slippers, but rather what others call thongs, zoris, flip-flops, etc.

We call carbonated beverages soda.
Those are some off the top of my head.

*iluvskipper*
07-19-2006, 06:41 PM
how to talk like a real minnesotan:

"don-chya-no"

one hundred= "ahhunnerd"

i'm going to= "ahminah"

and= "n"

advantage= "avanage"

"eh?"

call them= "callum"

didn't= "dint"

don't= "dun"

that= "dat","dhat", or "dot"

there's= "dere's"

hello= "e-yellow"

for sure= "fer sure"

film= "fillum"

frozen= "froze-up"

hand it to me= "give it here"

going to= "gonna"

have to= "hafta"

how did= "hod"

in-laws= "inners"

did you eat?= "jeet"

remember?= "member?"

ok= "oh-gay"

mosquitos= "skeeters" or "skeeties"

@($#&@#!&!!= "uffdah!"

confident affermation= "you betcha"

winter= "winner"

(p.s., soda is "pop" here to nd coke is coca cola)

lbaker
07-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Ah'm down witcha with a coke meaning any carbonated brown libation... except, of course, root beer or cream soda *mmmm, cream soda!* :rolleyes: :D

shais_mom
07-20-2006, 12:23 AM
"Well, that went over like a pregnant pole vaulter." :eek: Anybody else ever heard these?
No I haven't heard that but that is tooo friggin funny!
I usually say
went over like a lead balloon
I also say a lot that someone or something is dumber than a box of rocks or dumber then a doorknob{ :p

cloverfdx
07-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Ok here goes...

Softdrink = pop soda
She'll be apples = everything will be ok
Amber fluid = Beer
To bag someone = pick on someone
Built like a brick S...house = tough/ strong
G'day = Hello - lol no one hardly says that these days ;).
Your a dag = refering to the thing on a sheeps rear end
Flaming Galah = idiot
Good on ya = can be good can be sarcastic... usually sarcastic when coming from me :p.
Mexican = someone south of the border/ country = me lol
Ring in = imposter.. we use this a bit Re: flyball hehe.
Ute = truck
Matey = friend

Dorothy39
07-20-2006, 01:28 PM
Those were great!!!

The only one used here is "Built like a brick s&^% house!!!!!!,, occasionally, I've heard the expression " Crazier than a s%$# house rat" from older people!!!!!

this thread is interesting!!!!!

kuhio98
07-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Cloverfdx (or any other Aussie's) What does "Bob's your uncle" mean?

I was just watching a TV show where the host said something like, "Quicker than you can say Bob's your uncle"..... something something something (I didn't catch the rest of it because I was too busy trying to figure out who Bob was). :rolleyes:

Muddy4paws
07-24-2006, 10:30 AM
Im from South East london so really any cockney slang you have heard of :D

Killearn Kitties
07-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Kuhio, Bob's yer uncle is an English expression, specifically cockney, I think, meaning "finished", "done and dusted" "no problem". It seems to have dozens of possible origins, most of them contradictory.

Muddy4paws
07-24-2006, 10:49 AM
Cloverfdx (or any other Aussie's) What does "Bob's your uncle" mean?

I was just watching a TV show where the host said something like, "Quicker than you can say Bob's your uncle"..... something something something (I didn't catch the rest of it because I was too busy trying to figure out who Bob was). :rolleyes:

As Killearn Kitties said It used as a expression to say something is done easily

cloverfdx
07-24-2006, 10:56 AM
Yep what KK & M4Ps said ;). Everyone says "Ta" instead of thankyou these days, has anyone else noticed?

lbaker
07-24-2006, 11:11 AM
In 1877, British Prime Minister, Robert Cecil,
appointed his nephew as Minister for Ireland.
The press had a field day when he referred to
the Prime Minister as “Uncle Bob”. That’s how
“Bob’s Your Uncle” became a popular phrase
applied to sum up any positive situation.

Killearn Kitties
07-24-2006, 11:18 AM
:D The Irish story is one of dozens of theories, Laurie. I don't think anyone has a reliable explanation. :D Those cockneys you know - no-one knows what they are on about!

lbaker
07-24-2006, 11:44 AM
It's probably something REALLY off color but the cockney accent makes it sound like "Bob's yer uncle" :o :eek: :D ;) Why the mind fairly boggles at the possibilities :p

.sarah
07-24-2006, 03:53 PM
I remembered another one today when I said it.

"Y'unt some?" = You want some?

molucass
07-24-2006, 04:33 PM
Robin is from TN, and they have some really crazy things they say. I usually had to ask them more than once what the heck this or that meant. I grew up in Southeast Texas. :p

"Can I have some chaw", means "Can I have some gum?!"

"Geet yet?" means "Did you eat yet?"

Millers, are moths...

Gallasses (sp?) are Suspenders, ya know, those things that hold up yer britches. Lol.

Drawers (sp?) "Where's my drawers?",, underwear or pants..lol

"Aint nary a thing wrong with that", means "There isn't anything wrong with that."

"Go down the road a piece", that usually meant go to the store or something along those lines..lol

"Will you carry me down the road?", means "Will you take me some where?"

I'm sure there is a lot more, but I can't remember them at the moment.. They had some weird words for different words that I had never heard.. Lol.. But like I said, I can't remember them all.

GreyhoundGirl
07-24-2006, 04:40 PM
I know many, but I can't think of any.

You know that feeling, eh?

It's difficult when there are so many to choose from,eh?

( Seriously, I don't type like that, but I do actually talk like that... :o :o )

Cincy'sMom
07-24-2006, 08:57 PM
I've noticed a few Toledo things, that maybe I nener noticed in Findlay (only 45 minutes south). Maybe I just missed them....

Adding "or no?" to a sentence. Do you want do go with me, or no?

"Happen to" Did you happen to mail the house payment?

There is also a distinction between Toledoans. Eastsiders are from east of the Maumme river, and a whole other breed! Over there, Nevada is pronounced Ne-vay-duh, and Oregon and "Or-a-gon".

IRescue452
07-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Wisconsin has its own dictionary, a little book you can buy at souvenier shops. I gave a copy to one of my Japanese friends at school so she could understand us Wisconsin folk. In Japan they had learned proper English so when they got to the US weren't they surprised!We speak a lot of broken German dialect here too, even if we aren't German.

Here's the most common:
http://www.homestead.com/cameronwis/WisDictionary.html
Ones I say most are Ain-a-hey, Ain-so, uffdah, and yahhey. The only misconception is the cheddarhead thing. Not many Wisconsinites call themselves cheeseheads, just the hicks and football fans, and honestly I can't distinguish between the two.

kuhio98
08-20-2006, 01:01 PM
I just thought of another one we use in Alaska. Termination Dust means snow. Like the termination of summer. Anyone else use that expression?

Miss Z
08-20-2006, 04:49 PM
I thought of another few things, there are many different expressions for chewing gum in different parts of Lancashire. In my area, it's known as 'spuggi', but in other areas it's known as 'chuddi', 'wriggers' or 'knash'. I have no idea where all those expressions came from :p

Kuhio, I've heard the expression of a pregnant pole vaulter many a time!

'Wha'the 'ell yer playin' a'?' is another phrase, which means what on earth are you doing. I think it's originally a southern phrase but the northerners borrowed it and made it with a thicker accent ;)

Also, 'aye' is used a lot for yes, and 'nay' or 'naw' for no. Some words are squashed together too to make one word, such as 'dusta?' (do you), 'hasta?' (have you) and 'nobbut' (nothing but).

Also, although 'eighup' is the most commonly used greeting, some more traditional Lancastrains may greet you with a 'now then'. It sounds quite severe, almost like an acusation, but really it's a kind greeting! :p :D

dukedogsmom
08-20-2006, 06:37 PM
I had never heard this one until I got to Texas but I don't know where it originated. Cop a squat. It means take a seat.

And dark-thirty. I think it means just before dark?

I've never heard the pregnant pole vaulter one, either. That would be a site to see.

Cinder & Smoke
08-20-2006, 07:03 PM
Dark-thirty.

I think it means just before dark?

"Dark-thirty" or "Oh:dark:thirty" usually means In the Middle of the Night.

;)