PDA

View Full Version : I need help with an idea...

slleipnir
07-17-2006, 04:34 PM
My cats love going outside...however, I can't stand the idea of them wondering about on their own. So, the only time they go out is if it's on a leash when I'm out gardening. Sometimes they roll around and get out of the harness. (only Butter, really)

So I have been thinking for a while that I would like to build a small enclosure on the side of the house connecting to a window for the cats to come in and out as they want. It would only be a little space, but they could have some grass, and have a small bush/tree to play on...

My dad really doesn't like the idea, and doesn't think the cats would use it. I think they would, if I did it right. That's the problem, how!

I have a spot to put it...there is a window that would go out in the dog fence. It would need to be closed off with a top, though. My problem mostly is the window itself. The screen doesn't really come off, I guess (old house)...It must be able to lift up a little, I would think. How can I build something that will let them in and out, but keep bugs out at the same time?? If it was a door of some sort, how would the cats jump back inside???

Any ideas? I was thinking of using chicken wire...would that work?

Corinna
07-17-2006, 04:38 PM
I have an old dog kennel thats backed up to the window in my bathroom. it's a bit off the ground so I made a small ramp for the old guy to go down. They love it as they were used to going out until we moved in to town more .

moosmom
07-17-2006, 05:01 PM
Chicken wire is perfect for an enclosure. Another thing that would be god for the cats is a large tree branch so they have a place to hang and scratch.

Good luck with the enclosure!! Can't wait to see pictures.

slleipnir
07-17-2006, 05:55 PM
I can't figure out what to do though..and unless I come up with a good idea, my dad won't let it happen.

flamepony12
07-17-2006, 06:08 PM
I think it's a great idea! Amber would be like.. obsessed with it, haha D: Maybe you can use screening or something. Like, screen doors.. if you know what I mean XD That would probably work to keep the cats in and bugs out. But I'm not exactly sure how you'd put it together.. -hides-

slleipnir
07-17-2006, 06:09 PM
I think it's a great idea! Amber would be like.. obsessed with it, haha D: Maybe you can use screening or something. Like, screen doors.. if you know what I mean XD That would probably work to keep the cats in and bugs out. But I'm not exactly sure how you'd put it together.. -hides-

That's what I'm thinking, but I can't seem to figure it out...*dies*

Toby's my baby
07-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Maybe if you used screen, and a non-strong magnet?? I don't know...:o Sorry, good luck with it though!

Karen
07-17-2006, 07:00 PM
A screen on a hinge that swings both ways would allow cats in and out, but keep bugs out. Like a swinging door, but vertically swinging instead of horizontally.

slleipnir
07-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Can't seem to get around the fact that the screen doesn't move...(IE, the whole window needs to come off before the screen will...)

Glacier
07-17-2006, 08:26 PM
We just cut the screen--along the bottom and up a few inches on the side. Kitties can get through and the bugs stay out. They love their enclosure. Even the seniors use it occasionally. Boots is out there more than he is in the house!

mruffruff
07-18-2006, 09:27 AM
There are screen doors for cats in the DrsFosterSmith.com website. They are made to put into a window screen.

I would use chicken wire for your enclosure (in fact, I did in mine). The cats may be able to tear screening and escape when you aren't looking.

Kfamr
07-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Could you install a kittie door in the window?

slleipnir
07-18-2006, 04:38 PM
My dad keeps insisting bugs will get in....urg...

Kfamr
07-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Maybe as a last resort if you can't figure out a way to convince your dad, just make an inclosure that isn't attached to the house and set a time for them to have outside time?

slleipnir
07-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Ok, he said it is ok.

I'm thinking of ordering a kitty door online. I don't think they sell them in our stores. Have to see. I can't say mine will be anywhere near as big as mruff, but I think they will like it nonetheless.