PDA

View Full Version : Catsitting question

catnapper
07-16-2006, 10:06 AM
I was talking to a customer yesterday and it got me wondering....

The customer was catsitting for a friend. They were refilling the water fountain when it broke. The lady almost fell over to find out its a $45 fountain (she initially thought of simply replacing the whole thing and calling it a day) and she's catsitting out of the goodness of her heart, not for any money.

So my question is this:
If someone was catsitting your cats and broke something worth $20 or more, would you make them repair or replace the broken thing, or just chalk it up to it was about to break and would have broken at some point anyway? Would it make a difference if the item was old or new?

I know if someone broke something of mine I wouldn't necessarily care, I'd just like to know how it happened. Right now my own fountain is looking like its fighting for life, so I'd be sure to tell a catsitter that its limping ;) and not to worry if it did indeed die on them

Now my next question is:
How would you handle it if you were the catsitter? Would you want to replace the broken item despite cost or just leave them a note explaining what happened and let them fix it? Offer to find the replacement parts and fix it?

If I was catsitting and broke something of someone else's I'd feel incredibly guilty and would feel the "need" to replace it for them, despite the cost (unless of course it was old and looked to be gasing its last breath anyway)

It made me think, and next time I go away, and ask someone to look in on the cats I will spell out everythign beforehand instead of making hte poor person worry the whole time I was gone. And if I ever catsit, I'll ask what would happen should something break while they were gone.

moosmom
07-16-2006, 10:12 AM
How did SHE break the fountain?? Could it be the fountain was on it's last leg?? I thought for sure my PetMate fountain was broken until I read the directions. Turns out you need to completely take out the pump and hand scrub it. With a new filter, it works great!

Unless she maliciously and willfully (sound like a lawyer, don't I??) dropped it, I'd just explain it to the owners. Would I replace it? No.

catnapper
07-16-2006, 10:28 AM
LOL.. I doubt she maliciously did it. The fountain was the same as my bubble shaped one. There's a little "wand" with a spring going the length of it that controls water flow and keeps a rubber plug in place. You have to twist the wand to open and close the valve as you fill it. She went to twist the wand when the srping popped... and the plug went flying for points unknown. Honestly if she could find parts, its got to be a $2 repair!

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-16-2006, 11:12 AM
I wouldn't "charge" her anything! Of course I would appreciate it if she told me about it right away, before I would find out.

kuhio98
07-16-2006, 11:49 AM
To me, it wouldn't matter how it broke. If it broke on my "watch" I would replace it. I used to housesit when I was homeless (2 years). One family had an antique mantle clock that had to be wound every other day. They gave me step-by-step instructions. Well, I wound it too tightly and broke a spring. Several hundred bucks later, The Clock Doctor had it replaced and working.

It was the right thing to do. This family appreciated it and recommended me to several families who hired me to to housesit.

The right thing is usually the easiest. No having to come up with excuses or rationalizations. No worry about a friendship being damaged, etc. Replace it. Keep the receipt. If they don't want it, take it back and get a refund.

Catty1
07-16-2006, 01:32 PM
The only option to replacing it might be to call a pet shop that sells them, and if you can talk to someone helpful and informed, they might have the part, or know someone who can fix it, or even do it themselves!

Try Googling it and see what you find.

Whatever happens, do tell the owners. Accidents happen.

Catty1

catmandu
07-16-2006, 03:22 PM
I would wait until they were coming up the driveway, toss it on the floor and wail oh no Fluffy what did you do!!!
Blame the Cat!!!

Just kidding.
I would replace it if I broke it.

orangemm
07-16-2006, 03:42 PM
ROTFLMBO!

Go, Gary! :D :D :D :D :D

Yeah, I'd feel so guilty that I'd replace whatever it was. I can't LIVE with guilt! ;)

momcat
07-16-2006, 05:05 PM
In that position I would definitely replace it then be completely honest with the owners about what happened and how it happened. The problem might be very simple to fix, a jammed knob or worn out washer or something like that. Be honest and offer to replace it.

catmandu
07-16-2006, 05:11 PM
I still like dropping it, and saying Oh Fluffy what did you do to that painting, vase etc.
And you were such a Good Cat.
What will I do?
Oh youre home! Fluffy was so excited that he broke this.
Oh, how did it fall from the second floor?
Homina Homina Homina. Aka Ralph Kramden.

slick
07-16-2006, 07:13 PM
I do alot of catsitting and they, in turn, catsit for me.

If I'm the catsitter and I break something, I replace it....no matter what the cost. I then tell them what happened when they get home.

If I'm away and my catsitter breaks something of mine, I absolutely do not expect them to replace it.

Oh yes, I don't catsit for money....just the pure pleasure of it.

G535
07-16-2006, 07:50 PM
I guess if I was clumsy enough to break something (which I am and do it all the time) then I'd replace it, I couldn't live with the guilt either. :)