PDA

View Full Version : Pro Plan Selects

lute
07-15-2006, 06:34 PM
what do you think about this kibble? i bought a sample bag of it and Gracie really liked it. it even smelled healthy!LOL

Roxyluvsme13
07-15-2006, 07:33 PM
I was going to switch Lily over to that. It looks pretty good to me, but if it's the same as other pro plan kibbles it's not that great.

K9soul
07-15-2006, 07:42 PM
It looks better than regular Pro Plan as it doesn't contain meat by-products but it still has a lot of filler in it. Brewers rice, corn gluten meal, beet pulp etc are all fillers. It claims it doesn't have corn in it, and while it doesn't have ground corn in it, it does have corn gluten meal. Corn gluten meal is just a powdery byproduct of the corn milling process and contains no nutritional benefit, again it's just filler.

Corn Gluten Meal - the dried residue from corn after the removal of the larger part of the starch and germ, and the separation of the bran by the process employed in the wet milling manufacture of corn starch or syrup, or by enzymatic treatment of the endosperm.

Taken from here: http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/dog_food_ingredients.htm

Brewers rice is a waste product of the alcohol industry.

Danegirl2208
07-15-2006, 07:51 PM
well, i really dont reccommend any kibble, but, like k9soul said, it does look better than regular Purina One

lute
07-15-2006, 08:37 PM
thanks. i know RAW is what most everyone is feeding. i have nothing against it, but i just probably won't ever feed it.

K9soul
07-15-2006, 08:45 PM
I am not feeding raw at this time (though I plan to at some point), but there ARE decent kibbles out there. I just happen to think the list of "good" kibbles is not a particularly long one. I feed Innova EVO. It has no grain at all in it. I'd look for foods without things like beet pulp, corn gluten meal, and brewers rice. Those are fillers with no nutritional value at all. It is a better food than any of the purina foods I've seen, but it is still not an outstanding kibble at all. There are many threads with people's recommendations for good quality kibbles. I'd go through those, study the ingredients, get educated on just what all those ingredient names really mean, and make the best decision you can.

lute
07-15-2006, 08:56 PM
thank ya! :D

GreyhoundGirl
07-15-2006, 09:16 PM
well, i really dont reccommend any kibble, but, like k9soul said, it does look better than regular Purina One

:confused: What's wrong with Purina One? I feed it, and since I started, my dog has been much, MUCH healthier. ( :D )

Kfamr
07-15-2006, 09:22 PM
I personally will never feed any Purina kibbles ever again. Even this food is filled with.. fillers. ;)