PDA

View Full Version : lexie is unwell.....

carole
07-14-2006, 03:10 PM
My sweet girl showed signs of having a UTI Friday morning, thanks to PT and the fact she uses a litter box, I know the signs, I had her off to the vet promptly, she has been put on antibotics, but so far there is no change, I have been up on and off all night taking care of her, she is such a good girl and uses her litter box mostly, I have made sure she has one upstairs and one downstairs, but of course she is trying to do it in the house, as they do, but I have managed to pick her up and put her in her box.

I have never experienced this before with any cat i have ever owned, but have read it here many times, it is so stressful watching her straining and obviously in pain, she goes on her box continually, i am concerned because so far the treatment is not working, the vet said give it two days, which will be up after today, but I would have thought there would be some improvement even in one, correct me if I am wrong, so the possibility is crystals,in which case i will have to get a urine sample, not sure how one achieves that easily, anyhow i am hoping this is not the case.

I am so worried about my wee girl, any advice or help much appreciated.

Catty1
07-14-2006, 03:36 PM
The vet takes the urine sample...

Oscar went on a second antibiotic, Clavamox, as it kills a wider range of bacteria.

If she is still straining, have her checked for crystals.

Good luck

Laura's Babies
07-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Awwww! I hope it kicks in soon and she starts to feel better soon.

RobiLee
07-14-2006, 05:09 PM
I hope she feels better real soon.

lizbud
07-14-2006, 05:42 PM
How long has she been taking antibiotics? If you've used up one RX already
and see no improvement, I would call the Vet & maybe bring her back in for
re-evaluation. I would think she should be showing some improvement.

Lizzie
07-14-2006, 06:05 PM
I'm afraid that sometimes it takes more like 3-4 days before you see an improvement, and I know that's horrible to live through because I've done it too. Did the vet give you something to relax or smooth out the bladder so that it is less irritated?

moosmom
07-15-2006, 08:27 AM
How old is Pumpkin?

Has she been tested for Diabetes? Sounds like the next move to me, if the vet hasn't done it already. That and liver tests.

Let us know as soon as you find out, please!

carole
07-15-2006, 04:19 PM
I got in touch with the vet second day, and she gave us some antiflamms for her to take, which the first vet in my opinion should have given her to ease her pain, it is her third day today, not much improvement, she is not going as often and is more comfortable and getting some sleep due to the pain relief to ease the irritation but she is still sitting on her box for ages and going at least four times, and obvious the area has irritation as she is licking her bottom a lot, i think we will have to get a urine sample, they have a kit they provide as often at the vets they are stressed and don't provide one, however i think she would as she cannot stop going, but i will explore the home option first, it looks like it might be crystals, as the antibots don't seem to be kicking in, her third day today,as i type this she is behind me on her litter box sitting there for ages trying to go, she does always go but just little bits.

Yes i am feeling quite stressed, not a pleasant thing to watch your kitty suffer, and if you have had them yourself you know just how painful and uncomfortable they are,hopefully the pain relief is helping that out.

Donna are you having a senior moment, snigger snigger,Lol i have no pumpkin, this is my lexie, she is four years old .

Anyhow fingers and paws all crossed please for my sweet girl.

Killearn Kitties
07-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Aww Carole, poor baby Lexie! I don't have experience with UTI's or crystals, but I want to wish you and Lexie all the best!

carole
07-15-2006, 04:41 PM
Thanks, it is my first on hand experience as well, and honestly if i did not belong to PT i probably would not have had a clue what was going on, i just would have noticed that something was up but would not have known what.

I have been up when she is up at night time too, so i am feeling a bit tired on the lack of sleep, brings back memories of having babies, after all she is just that my precious furbaby, she is the sweetest girl ever, and she knows i am caring for her,and trying to help her,you can just tell by her actions and her little chats to me, now saying that to anyone one else would sound crazy, but i know here on PT everyone knows what i mean. :)

Catty1
07-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Oscar is going on a month now with a chronic UTI - and I asked the vet about cranberry tablets. He lit up and said they were great - they change the pH of the urine and are a natural antiseptic.

I found just capsules at a health food store, and the gal there suggested 1/2 cap of the powder am and pm.

My poor furbaby...I understand how you feel, totally.

Catty1

carole
07-16-2006, 04:54 PM
I have good news, Lexie started to pick up yesterday afternoon, she was happy playing and much more active and just seemed happier in herself, of course having pain relief sure helped, but she also had not used her litter box for hours, infact she went all night, this morning i waited anxiously for her to use it, sure enough she did, she only sat there for a few mins like normal and left and yes there was a pee there.

It seems she is getting better, she still has five days to go on her antibots, so here's hoping she continues to improve and it was only a UTI, not crystals.

I feel so relieved for her , i already have her on biscuits that have protection for UTI's so i am not sure what else to do other than the cranberry pills you suggested,i can buy one particular biscuit variety of her's that is specifically for Urinary tract protection, so i think i will do that from now on.

So fingers and paws crossed please that my sweet girl continues to improve, thanks

p.s I Think the vet had me panicked suggesting in two days all should be well if not bring her back, could be crystals, alot of you said it takes around 3 to four days, which is what i would expect to, not too impressed with her, first time i have had her there, but that and not giving her the antiflamms makes me question how good she really is.