PDA

View Full Version : Rescued orphaned swallow chick

larbabe
07-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Several months ago, we noticed a large flock of cliff swallows enter into our So. California neighborhood (We live in Palmdale). They immediately set about constructing their mud nests, one of which is under the eaves of the roof of our two-story home. Last week, we discovered a chick in our yard, which had fallen out of the nest. From what I can tell, he (or she) was a week old . He had a broken foot, so we couldn't leave him on the ground or place him in a tree without keeping a close eye on him. We waited to see if his parents would find and care for him, but they didn't. Our only solution was to take him inside the home. We gave him water and (you'll never guess) peanut butter.

I honestly had no hope of him surviving. We even had the animal shelter send an officer over, but the man told us that there was nothing they could do for him. He told us if they took him, he would have to be destroyed...and we couldn't do that! The following day, he wouldn't take any food or water, so we placed him outside. He immediately perked up, and we were able to feed him. We then placed him outside our upstairs window sill, but still no visits by his parents all day.

Well, it's now day nine. He has grown tremendously since then, and I guess we are his adopted parents. We've named him Fred. Every time we approach his cage/nest, he chirps and flaps his wings. Fred has a terrific appetite (still seems to love peanut butter), and we feed him 5-6 times per day (is this normal?). We still place him outside every day so that he may observe the other swallows. Our hope is that he can learn to fend for himself, so that he can migrate with the other swallows which we think will be in September. As I understand it, these are the same swallows who return to Capistrano every year. Any ideas or similar experiences would be welcomed. I'll try to take some pictures of him as he matures

larbabe
07-14-2006, 10:03 AM
During the night, he expired. At the last feeding, he didn't take much food or water, but continued to chirp throughout the evening. The reason for his demise? I can only guess. I would perceive that his foot wasn't really broken, but deformed; Fred didn't fall out of the next, but was expelled. This was nature's way of insuring that only the strong survive. We tried everything we could. I can truly say that that during his short life, Fred was loved. :(

Argranade
07-14-2006, 09:19 PM
Im so sorry fred had died penut butter was not the best thing to feed him the starling diet would have done better but you did your best and Im glad you gave him a place to rest and that he did not die In pain but in a loving home.

Rest in peace little fred.

larbabe
07-24-2006, 10:41 AM
I've had two more orphaned swallows fall into the yard. The difference is that with these two, the colony immediately began to feed them. We put them on an open stand, and at night, covered them with a cage to protect them. The first developed his flying feathers and has flown the coop. The 2nd is lame like Fred. He has not gotten all of his feathers yet, and is still unable to fly. The only thing we give him is water. It is very hot and easy for him to get dehydrated. I have attached a picture of the chicks.

Dorothy39
07-26-2006, 11:49 AM
and, now I know the other end of this story!!!!

So sorry about little Fred :( .

Have you given a name to the other swallow?? :rolleyes:

Wish I could offer you some good advice , however, you seem to be pretty good with bird rescues .