PDA

View Full Version : Sarah's getting rid of Max :-(

zoomer
07-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Sarah (WarahGirl1995) has to get rid of one of her boys, the GSD, Max because he apparently sheds too much, and since he sheds so much, her dad (allergic to dogs) keeps sneezing, he never had problems with Rupert before, just when Max came. Sarah's devistated she has to get rid of her dog, and her mom wants her to find the next one. Sarah wants my help. They want a dog that doesn't shed as much and will play with their other dog, Rupert. Any suggestions?

IRescue452
07-13-2006, 12:58 PM
Hair is not what people are allergic to. Dander is the problem. Heavy shedders can be fine for people with allergies. I suggest they try the dog on a different diet and maybe try a new dog shampoo before getting rid of the dog.

No specific breed is good for people with allergies. All people are different. I am fine around almost all dogs, but around shepherds and huskies I sneeze a lot. If they want a dog then he should ask to spend time with that breed or that dog to see if his allergies act up. Even individual dogs of a breed can cause different reactions. A poodle (supposedly a low allergy breed) fed a cheap brand of food might make him sneeze up a storm while another poodle fed a quality diet won't cause any reactions.

luvofallhorses
07-13-2006, 12:59 PM
:(

Alysser
07-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Isn't she already getting another dog? :confused:

elizabethann
07-13-2006, 01:01 PM
:(

:( :(

luvofallhorses
07-13-2006, 01:02 PM
why get another dog if he's allergic?? every dogs sheds.. all of my dogs shed even though their coat isn't that thick..Jenny's is the thickest. I am not trying to be rude at all.

ETA : I am allergic to dogs and cats (not that severe) but I get allergy shots and it helps. I'd rather get allergy shots the rest of my life rather than having no dogs/cats at all.

I just hope you don't take this the wrong way, Sarah. It's clear how much you love your dogs. I am hoping the best for Max that he'll get a good home.

zoomer
07-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Isn't she already getting another dog? :confused:

No they decided not to get Tessa... :(

dab_20
07-13-2006, 01:11 PM
:( :( All dogs shed. Yes, even poodles and similar 'hypoallergenic' breeds. Molli sheds clumps at a time, especially when I brush her.

It's dander that causes allergies. It's true for some people 'hypoallergenic' breeds will cause less of an allergic reaction, but not for all people. Can't her dad take allergy medication? If sneezing is the only problem, medication will definatly help. I do, because I'm allergic to Sammy.

I'm very sorry for Max, I hope he goes to a good home, if that's the final word. :(

pitc9
07-13-2006, 01:17 PM
How sad.... :(
It's not like it's a shock that a GSD sheds.

caseysmom
07-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Sounds like maybe they shouldn't get another dog if they are getting rid of a dog for shedding.

Corinna
07-13-2006, 01:20 PM
I' sorry for Max and for Sarah but when you still live at home you have to live under the rules of the house . Just a shame dad didn't take a test drive with the dog before she got in love with him.

luvofallhorses
07-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Sounds like maybe they shouldn't get another dog if they are getting rid of a dog for shedding.

I agree.

lute
07-13-2006, 01:22 PM
if they bathe and brush Max on a regualr basis shedding wouldn't be much of a problem. Gracie is finally ending the worst shedding i've ever seen. she never clumped up. i brushed her out 2-3 times a day. there are shedding control meds that help the dogs not to shed as much, but i think it's an unneeded medication.

yes, all dogs shed, BUT some breeds shed a lot less than others. like a siberian husky is one of the worst shedders, but a poodle, bichon, yorkie, schnauzer, etc shed a heck of a lot less. they are also hypoallergic. i don't believe the desighner breeds that are suppose to be hypoallergic are any good. when i worked at the petstore my had a litter of "non-shedding" black labradoodles. i had never seen so much black hair! it was everywhere. i think it's stupid that people spend $$$$$ on these dogs when right now there is a 10month old schnoodle on death row in my local animal control. his adoption fee is $65! :mad: :mad: (sorry, i got WAAAY off topic :o )

bckrazy
07-13-2006, 01:33 PM
It is very sad that Sarah's family is doing this, with seemingly no efforts to solve the problem. -_- Poor Max... they're already looking for a new dog before the even find a home for him??

I know for a fact that any dog's shedding will improve with a better diet. Gonzo sheds MUCH less on a raw diet, and shedded much less even on Evo. What is he eating? Are they adding any coat and skin-strengthening supplements, like fish oil & flaxseed? How often is he being brushed? He should be brushed with an undercoat rake and a bristle brush every single day, it is not that hard or time-consuming. Is her Dad POSITIVE it's the dog that is causing allergies, not just a reaction to seasonal allergens? Has he even looked into allergy meds?

molucass
07-13-2006, 01:40 PM
It is very sad that Sarah's family is doing this, with seemingly no efforts to solve the problem. -_- Poor Max... they're already looking for a new dog before the even find a home for him??

I agree. I was going to say the same thing. I can't believe they are already looking for a new dog when their other poor dog hasn't even found a home yet, and the reason they are finding a home for him is even sadder, when there is a lot of ways to help improve the problem.

zoomer
07-13-2006, 01:44 PM
How stupid. Shedding is the MOST idiotic thing to get rid of a dog for. DUH, it's a dog. They're bodies are covered with fur, as are our's with skin - we shed A LOT too!

You can easily reduce pet dander and allergies, with many solutions.

Frequent bathing, allergy medicine, a better diet = less shedding, etc. There are far many more solutions than simply giving up a dog and getting another. How is getting a different dog going to solve the problem? It's not.

Please tell her family to actually think about this before exchanging their family companion.

I will. She's coming over today and I'll be sure to show her this thread.

finn's mom
07-13-2006, 01:49 PM
I hope Max goes or stays where he's loved and deserved.

Alysser
07-13-2006, 02:34 PM
How stupid. Shedding is the MOST idiotic thing to get rid of a dog for. DUH, it's a dog. They're bodies are covered with fur, as are our's with skin - we shed A LOT too!

You can easily reduce pet dander and allergies, with many solutions.

Frequent bathing, allergy medicine, a better diet = less shedding, etc. There are far many more solutions than simply giving up a dog and getting another. How is getting a different dog going to solve the problem? It's not.

Please tell her family to actually think about this before exchanging their family companion.

Kay is completely correct. All dogs, regardless of breed, shed or give off dander. It's not fair to get rid of a dog just because someone in the family has allergy problems. They're are many things including medication,shots,ect. to help reduce allergies. Hopefully, this will convince them not to get rid of Max.

WarahGirl1995
07-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Kay, you're right, but I'm not the one who makes the choices in my house, you know. My dad's the one who decided it...

Vela
07-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Well I don't think you should get another dog if you can't keep Max. But that's just my opinion. WHat guarantee is there that the new dog won't cause allergies. They aren't toys. I really think you should try to explain it to your mother that if you can't find a way to keep max that you don't want to get any other dogs because it's not fair to the dogs. I realize you don't make decisions, but you can contribute your ideas to the situtation as best as possible. If there is still nothing you can do to help convince them, since I know how parents can be, then I would tell them you are sorry but you think it's the wrong thing to do to get another dog and you don't want to take part in it. I'm not saying this to try to upset you, but since you don't make the decisions, you can only do what you can do, but I think that would be a good step and may even make them think harder about it.

finn's mom
07-13-2006, 03:08 PM
I remember being your age and having little to no say on pet related issues, so, you probably couldn't convince your dad to keep Max even if you showed him this thread and talked to him (I'd still show him the thread, though, it can't hurt). I know we had to rehome a cat when I was young, and, I had nothing to do in that decision making process. (although, being an adult now, and, hind sight being what it is, it was the best decision in our situation at the time) I will say that I agree with Vela in telling your parents that if they're going to get rid of Max, that they shouldn't get another dog. They may take that thought into consideration as it shows maturity on your part. Good luck, no matter what happens.

WarahGirl1995
07-13-2006, 03:28 PM
THANK YOU Kari, FINALLY someone understands!

finn's mom
07-13-2006, 03:42 PM
THANK YOU Kari, FINALLY someone understands!

Try not to take people maybe disagreeing with the decision or giving you a little crap about it as not understanding. Just because someone disagrees with you or gives you a little crap doesn't necessarily mean that they don't empathize. But, on the other hand, some people have (or had) a lot of say and a lot of pull in their family's decision making processes. No matter how young they are (or were). It just wasn't that way in my house. I could debate and research and argue and talk til I was blue in the face, it was never my decision on anything that had to do with getting a pet or keeping one. I had no choice in how my pets were cared for or anything like that. My pets were taken care of, but, not like they are now that I make the decisions. ;) anyway, people just get passionate about this kind of thing and forget sometimes to show a little compassion for the person (or people) involved in amongst the "tough love." I'm sure most of the comments are made because the people genuinely care! I just hope Max is taken care of, wherever he goes.

lute
07-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Try not to take people maybe disagreeing with the decision or giving you a little crap about it as not understanding. Just because someone disagrees with you or gives you a little crap doesn't necessarily mean that they don't empathize. But, on the other hand, some people have (or had) a lot of say and a lot of pull in their family's decision making processes. No matter how young they are (or were). It just wasn't that way in my house. I could debate and research and argue and talk til I was blue in the face, it was never my decision on anything that had to do with getting a pet or keeping one. I had no choice in how my pets were cared for or anything like that. My pets were taken care of, but, not like they are now that I make the decisions. ;) anyway, people just get passionate about this kind of thing and forget sometimes to show a little compassion for the person (or people) involved in amongst the "tough love." I'm sure most of the comments are made because the people genuinely care! I just hope Max is taken care of, wherever he goes.

i wish more PTers looked at it like this! :D

finn's mom
07-13-2006, 03:56 PM
i wish more PTers looked at it like this! :D

Well, people's upbringings, lives, and, situations are all so different, they are going to view certain decisions or situations a certain way. One thing I've learned (and, I've probably said this already in Pet Talk somewhere) is that you can't control what others say or do, but, you can control how you react to them. I was just trying to empathize somewhat. This is just one of those threads that can very easily turn ugly, and, I like to try to put some positivity out there. I mean, I think it's a crappy reason to rehome a pet, too, but, it's not Sarah's decision. I probably wouldn't bite my tongue if I could speak directly to her dad, though. ;)

Muddy4paws
07-13-2006, 04:02 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Why not try regular trips to the groomers? they have tools to get most of the dead coat out so that it wouldnt be as bad, I've heard about the furminator in USA maybe try that? if its a last resort even having the hair shaved right down? Poor boy..

lute
07-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Well, people's upbringings, lives, and, situations are all so different, they are going to view certain decisions or situations a certain way. One thing I've learned (and, I've probably said this already in Pet Talk somewhere) is that you can't control what others say or do, but, you can control how you react to them. I was just trying to empathize somewhat. This is just one of those threads that can very easily turn ugly, and, I like to try to put some positivity out there. I mean, I think it's a crappy reason to rehome a pet, too, but, it's not Sarah's decision. I probably wouldn't bite my tongue if I could speak directly to her dad, though. ;)
maybe enough positivity will make all the negative go away! :D

finn's mom
07-13-2006, 04:10 PM
maybe enough positivity will make all the negative go away! :D

It's a process called opposition thinking. It's worked for me. ;) I don't know about making **all** the negativity go away, but, I've surrounded myself with people willing to at least try! :)

zoomer
07-13-2006, 04:11 PM
I agree with Kari!! :D

Alysser
07-13-2006, 04:43 PM

Kari, you always know what to say. I agree with you *partly*. I know she is 13-15 years of and has limitations on decisions made in her parents house BUT I think Sarah should at least attempt to tell her parents about the many medications, shots, ect out there that can control dog shedding and allergies. Trust me, Sarah, I have been in your situation, many a time, about pets and strays and other things. Sadly, limitations had to overule that.

lizbud
07-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Maybe you have no say in household decisions about Max, but you could
refuse to go along with looking for another dog right now. It's not right to
go along with bringing another dog into the house on consignment, like a new
car or something. I wish Max the best of luck where ever he goes.

finn's mom
07-13-2006, 04:51 PM
BUT I think Sarah should at least attempt to tell her parents about the many medications, shots, ect out there that can control dog shedding and allergies. .

I did say that, too. ;) I think she should at least show her dad this thread, it can't hurt!

zoomer
07-13-2006, 04:51 PM
I did say that, too. ;) I think she should at least show her dad this thread, it can't hurt!

I think she's going to...

Alysser
07-13-2006, 04:57 PM
See that's what I mean, you ALWAYS know what to say. ;)

finn's mom
07-13-2006, 05:02 PM
See that's what I mean, you ALWAYS know what to say. ;)

Not hardly! But, thank you! ;) (read my signature about where happiness comes from, trust me...i've made many, many bad calls and will continue to do so, i'm sure!)

zoomer
07-13-2006, 05:08 PM
Thanks, Kari, you make and made everything better :)

finn's mom
07-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Thanks, Kari, you make and made everything better :)

Wow. That's a lot to say! Thank you! I'm embarrassed, now, it was just my intention to share my thoughts on it, not hijack the whole thread. But, if it helped keep the thread not so ugly, then I'm glad I did it. Hope it lasts! :)

dab_20
07-13-2006, 05:57 PM
I agree, Kari, you always word everything well and know what to say! :)

Oh, and btw, I don't recommend shots for your dad. Usually shots are given every day and the shots contain what you are allergic to. It makes your allergies worse for about a year, the point of doing it is, it will make your allergies go away forever. Although, only people with horrible allergies choose to go with shots. But medication usually works!

molucass
07-13-2006, 06:14 PM
No matter whether or not she has any say about what her parents do, I'm still sticking by my opinion that they shouldn't get a new dog when they can't keep one for such a reason.

This is a life, not an object.. Well "this ones not right, so lets get rid of it and get a new one". :(

finn's mom
07-13-2006, 07:01 PM
No matter whether or not she has any say about what her parents do, I'm still sticking by my opinion that they shouldn't get a new dog when they can't keep one for such a reason.

I haven't seen anyone say that getting another dog would be a good idea. Most are specifically saying that she shouldn't. I think everyone shares this opinion. ;)