PDA

View Full Version : WWYD? Neighbor rant

shais_mom
07-13-2006, 12:11 PM
What Would You Do?
ok I have a good relationship with all my neighbors even the goofya$$ one that I share an alley with that doesn't trim his shrubs or bushes and they hang way low in the alley and people drive in MY yard to avoid them. I was driving home last week and heard the shrubs and bushes scratching the side of my car so I went and got a pair of wire cutters and trimmed them up at 2 in the morning. Then the other nite I used the pruners that my dad let me borrow and I trimmed them up even more in the rain.
But I digress this doesn't concern loser #1 this concerns LOSERS #2.
There is a rental property that is catty corner behind me it always seems to attract losers, duds, abusers etc. Keegan loves to have the run of the neighbor yards and no one else cares. Well, today Keegan and I were outside and the wife was out in the yard and (who is one of the strangest &itches I have ever come across) so Keeg took off running over there and then decided to poop (we are among friends here right? ;)) in their yard. I had the wrong leash - I have one that has poop baggie holder on the end of it so I took her in the house grabbed a grocery bag and headed back out to get the pile and met the husband storming across his yard with the pile in a spade yelling at me to keep the dog out of my yard I have grandkids that walk thru here. I opened the bag and said yes - I have a very NONconfrontational personality so I really couldn't say what I wanted. BECAUSE here is the kicker. if they were nice, sane quiet people I would have understood and not been upset.
*Their grandkids ride their bike thru my yard - while I was mowing the little twerp just about ran into me.
*They have at least 2 indoor/outdoor cats mostly outdoor - where do you suppose they poop? My yard, my landscape, my other neighbors yard.
*They have a toy fox terrier that starts barking the MINUTE you step outside. As he is chained to a clothesline during most of the day.
****did I mention that this rental is supposed to be NO PETS? the last renters had a chi that the owners CRABBED about b/c they were not allowed pets there****And they have at least one cat that is indoors that I see thru the windows so that is at least 3 cats and one dog in a no pet house****
*And this is a big one b/c a lot of the neighbors are in an uproar over this one: He has a small truck that is a street rod and at least 3-4 nites a week he starts it and sits in the drive revving the engine. Then he goes on a drive and starts driving around the neighborhood reeeeaaallllyyyy slow revving and banging and burning out. I was out talking to another neighbor one nite while he was doing this and this guy said he was going to talk to the cops about it.
Trust me I don't like it when my neighbor's dogs poop in my yard so I know that is the issue so don't lambast me for letting her poop in their yard b/c I really try not to let her AND I was headed there to pick it up - if I wasn't I KNOW that he was either going to drop on my back step or knock on the door and hand it to me. If I would have even had a Kleenex I would have picked it up but I didn't I was in my jammies!
Part of me wants to Call the little old lady that owns the house who is apparently not a nice woman and ask her about renting the house with pets, part of me wants to tell him I'll keep my dog out of his yard if he keeps all the above done.
Part of me wants to forget it b/c I hate confrontation.
Thoughts??

*iluvskipper*
07-13-2006, 12:16 PM
i don't like your neighbor. he sounds ****mEaN****!!!! (and annoying)

caseysmom
07-13-2006, 12:21 PM
Did you explain that you were on the way back with a poop bag? I just find that with people like this its best to ignore them. If he disturbs you at night with his car call the police.

moosmom
07-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Shaismom,

They all sound like a bunch of whackjobs. I'd let this biatch know what you've got on them as far as the "no pets" policy is concerned. My biggest concern would be what would happen to the animals if they should get evicted. I'd be afraid of them moving out in the middle of the night and leaving the animals behind.

As far as the idiot revving his engine, there are noise ordinances. Everytime he does it, call the cops.

Good luck.

elizabethann
07-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Is your yard fenced in?

If not, perhaps you can fence it in (if you own the house) so your dog won't go over to their yard anymore. I wouldn't want them to hurt your dog. Not sure if they're the type of people to do something like that. Also, that would keep their kids out of your yard. Not sure about the cats. I think there is a spray that you can spray your yard with, that keeps cats out but doesn't have an effect on dogs.

I'm a firm believer that fences make better neighbors.

I wouldn't call the landlord because they might find out you called and do something mean to you or your dog.

Good luck.

shais_mom
07-13-2006, 12:49 PM
Did you explain that you were on the way back with a poop bag? I just find that with people like this its best to ignore them. If he disturbs you at night with his car call the police.
No I didn't I guess I assumed they would be smart enough to figger it out -
he he - guess I was giving them the beneifit of the doubt they don't deserve.
Donna - I was afraid of what would happen to the animals too -
No the yard isn't fenced as much as I would love it - I do own my house and property but a fence is a considerable expense that I can't afford at this time.
Funny how when I am home those are the nites they don't cause a lot of noise - its apparently when I am at work.
Actually I was going to pretend to want to rent the house and mention that I had pets and ask the policy and then say well the people there have a bunch of them. Then give a fake number. Immature I know...

Pam
07-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Is your yard fenced in?
I wouldn't call the landlord because they might find out you called and do something mean to you or your dog.

That's what I was thinking too. Even as far as calling the police about the noise I would hesitate because around here you have to give your name if you lodge a complaint and I wouldn't want this guy mad at me. I hate confrontations too. I had a next door neighbor for years that I couldn't stand. The first week they were here they complained that they found dog poop in their front yard and assumed it was my dog's, and it actually was the dog across the street who had done it and I knew that. I didn't even bother trying to explain. I figured that when you are here one week and already complaining things are not going to get better.

I guess you will probably have to grin and bear it. For years I lived next to these ignorant people and eventually they moved to Florida. I feel sorry for the folks down there. :p Hopefully your neighbors won't be there too long. It sounds like they aren't the kind to put down roots.

Corinna
07-13-2006, 01:28 PM
Next time you find cat poop fill the bag and send it home with the grand brat . Maybe a nice ribbon on the bag would be a nice touch.
I fix barking dogs buy tape recoprding it and calling at about 3 am and play it back truck noise would be good too.

shais_mom
07-13-2006, 01:29 PM
That's what I was thinking too. Even as far as calling the police about the noise I would hesitate because around here you have to give your name if you lodge a complaint and I wouldn't want this guy mad at me. I hate confrontations too. I had a next door neighbor for years that I couldn't stand. The first week they were here they complained that they found dog poop in their front yard and assumed it was my dog's, and it actually was the dog across the street who had done it and I knew that. I didn't even bother trying to explain. I figured that when you are here one week and already complaining things are not going to get better.

I guess you will probably have to grin and bear it. For years I lived next to these ignorant people and eventually they moved to Florida. I feel sorry for the folks down there. :p Hopefully your neighbors won't be there too long. It sounds like they aren't the kind to put down roots.
yea I don't think they will be here long either.
The goofy neighbor I mentioned at first has 2 dogs that run the neighborhood a lot especially the younger one - he has gotten caught so much by the dog warden that he just brings him back and chains him back up. :rolleyes: His dogs get into my trash and string it all around my yard and his dogs poop in other's yards too - I am sure that even I keep Keeg out of his yard or pick up after her we will get blamed. Keeg isn't going to get to enjoy her yard much now since she just assumes that it is all "her's" and she isn't welcome.
The next time one of his grandkids rides their bike thru my yard tho - I WILL say something -
I have a pretty good relationship with the most of the cops in this town due to work so I'm not worried about retaliation and you don't have to give your name for a complaint. Actually one of the cops lives just down the street from these yutzes so its possible HE may have already said something to them about the noise and that is why I haven't heard it much - that's what happened with one family that lived there - b/n the revving of the engine and the loud music coming from them - he ended up saying something to them - not that it helped. I should have stepped up to the plate when those people lived there but I fell into the trap of 'not wanting to get involved' it will be something I regret always. I heard him screaming at his kid he was "f-ing stupid" for making a mistake while they were making a SNOWMAN! And then my other (good) neighbor heard him calling his wife's daughter an F-ing B-----!!! I should have called the cops or children's services then but hindsite is 20/20. I regret it to this day.

shais_mom
07-13-2006, 01:30 PM
Next time you find cat poop fill the bag and send it home with the grand brat . Maybe a nice ribbon on the bag would be a nice touch.
I fix barking dogs buy tape recoprding it and calling at about 3 am and play it back truck noise would be good too.
that's a good thought too - lol
cept I don't know their names (don't want to) so I don't have their number.

ajc
07-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Here's my thoughts. You spent a boat load on your camera. Take pictures of the kid in your yard and then photograph any tracks the bike leaves. Maybe let "Grandpa" see you doing this. It is vandalism. He is trespassing in your yard. Check with Dan or some of the guys for info on this. I know you're not very confrontational- thanks mom. I know fence isn't an option. Keeg needs retrained that this yard is out of her area. How? No idea. Have Papa work with her. She listens to him better that she does you. :D
We have to deal with the street rod thing too. Especially in the fall on school nights! Shut the windows, and turn on the fan. If the cop lives down the street ask him to put on his uniform, or stop there right after he gets off work before he goes home and have him talk to the guy.
Next time EMPHATICALLY point out you weren't prepared to get the goo, but went in to get something to clean it up with and if would appreciate removing himself from your path you will clean up after your dog. Then a snide comment "unlike some people". You know I'm good at those.
I know it's tuff, but it's something that has to be learned and done. I've dealt with a lot nast a^% parents in my career and have discovered that upfront is always best. Some don't get the catty remarks or snide off track comments. Just not all the way to the top.
OR--- when in doubt, have dad come over and back you up. Not many will stand up to an ex-marine who was an ace marksman, and a truck driver, and farmer! :D
Good luck. OH yeah- better you than me ;)
Later Dude

lizbud
07-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Sorry, but I don't have any other suggestions other that whats been
said other than say I'm sorry you have to put up with these neighbors.I
would try to keep their kids out of your yard (or tell them to do it). Who
knows, if they would get hurt in a fall or something & then blame or even
sue you for damages. Hang in there.

shais_mom
07-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Here's my thoughts. You spent a boat load on your camera. Take pictures of the kid in your yard and then photograph any tracks the bike leaves. Maybe let "Grandpa" see you doing this. It is vandalism. He is trespassing in your yard. Check with Dan or some of the guys for info on this. I know you're not very confrontational- thanks mom. I know fence isn't an option. Keeg needs retrained that this yard is out of her area. How? No idea. Have Papa work with her. She listens to him better that she does you. :D
We have to deal with the street rod thing too. Especially in the fall on school nights! Shut the windows, and turn on the fan. If the cop lives down the street ask him to put on his uniform, or stop there right after he gets off work before he goes home and have him talk to the guy.
Next time EMPHATICALLY point out you weren't prepared to get the goo, but went in to get something to clean it up with and if would appreciate removing himself from your path you will clean up after your dog. Then a snide comment "unlike some people". You know I'm good at those.
I know it's tuff, but it's something that has to be learned and done. I've dealt with a lot nast a^% parents in my career and have discovered that upfront is always best. Some don't get the catty remarks or snide off track comments. Just not all the way to the top.
OR--- when in doubt, have dad come over and back you up. Not many will stand up to an ex-marine who was an ace marksman, and a truck driver, and farmer! :D
Good luck. OH yeah- better you than me ;)
Later Dude
a warm welcome for my older and wiser SISTER who is AJC - not sure if she will ever post again but she is mom to skin kids Jake and Josh - and a lovable dog names Scooby Doo :)

animal_rescue
07-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Hmm I say call the old woman landlord! But I'm mean... :p

shais_mom
07-14-2006, 01:47 AM
I have a feeling if I "called" him on the cats running free he'd say it was just cat poop {that I would be stepping in}. Why is it people feel that small dog poop, and cat poop are not as bad as big dog poop? Poop is poop is poop!
I understand that stepping in a big dogs pile ummm goes more places then a small dogs but its still eneviably the same "thing".
eehh well -
what can ya say
WT? (and not just b/c of this either - I could go on and on and on over what that house attracts - I wonder if they have must rent to LOSERS in the contract?)
G'nite all!

BOBS DAD
07-14-2006, 09:06 AM
OK... just a few ideas. I personally would get a male companion (or realtive - perhaps your father) involved. And the sooner the better. They don't have to actually confront or personally interact with these folks, but rather merely be visible. Have them walk with you around the neighborhood. Look around your property, occasionally step out into the street and gaze at neighbors property. Even let yourself be seen standing in the street with companion looking down to neighbor's property and even physically point towards them. Unfortuneately, society is such that a single woman, without the threat of physical support can be the target of intimidation.

Don't go overboard, but actually work on being seen pointing out your "problem" to your potential ally and protector.

I also like someone's idea of having a cop friend drive by after work (in uniform) - real slow like. I personally would not antagonize them by giving them bags of poop or calling the landlord (unless you are absolutely 100% sure the landlord is "going to evict" them). This will only cause you more problems. Yes... I think you want to try the head game first. Why not - you're a woman and my wife attests to the fact that she (and other women) can be quite good at this. The silent ominous threat of a potential confrontation with your protector could be just enough to keep your problem at bay.

Cinder & Smoke
07-14-2006, 10:45 AM
... have Dad come over and back you up.

Not many will stand up to an ex-marine who was an ace marksman, and a truck driver, and farmer! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

Good luck.
OH yeah - better you than me http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

Later Dude

Yupperz - Send In the MARINE!

Park him in a lawn chair in the back yard, beer in hand,
maybe a baseball bat, too.

Having your Cop-Buddie pull in - in his B&W "Company Car" (the one with allua LIGHTS on it)
to have a chat with The Marine would certainly add to the overall effect.

A few visits by Dad otta have a "soothing effect" on the neighborhood Stress Level!

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

MomToThree
07-14-2006, 12:57 PM
Just one more idea. When you see one of "their" cats poop in your yard, go out pick it up walk down the street and hand it to them and them to start picking up their own cats poop. That's one thing I would do. :D

gini
07-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Stace, its Kelly, not "mom"...

I think that if I were you, I'd just ignore them. I'd be worried about retaliation as they don't sound like the most reasonable or educated people in the world.

But, if you feel that your daily life is compromised with the noise or the grandkids or the animals, I would absolutely bring it up. If its the noise, call the cops...that's the easier one. With the grandkids and/or animals, I guess I'd leave them a note? Or ask them to keep their kids and animal poop on their property.

The only thing with people like that is you never know how they'll react. The way he acted when you were on your way to pick up Keeg's little deposite was kinda crazy. Just be careful, honey.

If you need to, I'll call them and give them crap. I can pretend to be loser #1 (with the overgrown plants) and complain for you. ha ha!!

catland
07-25-2006, 06:24 PM
I'm in the "don't piss off the already unstable person" camp because it might make it worse. People this clueless can have a mean, vindictive streak to them and it can get ugly.

I certainly would go ahead and talk to the grandkids though - kids are often smarter than the grown-ups and they'll learn not to be in your yard. I can remember when we had a couple of boys in the neighborhood who thought that it was ok to climb in a tree of mine until I came outside and told them to stop. If that doesn't work, try some plants with stickers or thorns. :rolleyes:

If that doesn't work, just stay up late, drink on your back porch, and yell STFU!