PDA

View Full Version : Need rx help

Chrispyfur
07-12-2006, 07:29 PM
Ok, long story short..
Discovered three little kitties under my shed a week ago.
Mom seems to be missing in action... They are probably 6 to 7 weeks old.
They have upper respiratory problems and one of the poor little guys has eyes completely glued shut by secretions from the infection.
I dont have a lot of money to take them to the vet, but I'm certainly not
going to turn them over to spca for euthanizing.
I've purchased some Teramycin but I cant for the life of me remember what kind of dosage is needed. Does anyone out there know how much of the antibiotic goes into the water.
I and three little tabbys would very much appreciate some help.
Thanks
:)

moosmom
07-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Put warm compresses over the kitten's eyes. This will help open them up. Teramyacin is an ointment, I believe. To be honest with you, these kittens need a vet. I'd call around to different vet hospitals. Explain your situation to them. One of them HAS to be a little compassionate and offer their help.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

barncat
07-12-2006, 10:58 PM
I agree a vet would be best... but as a kid I used to have to try to help sick kittens with little or no vet help available either.

Warm water and a wash cloth to clean the eyes.... take it slow. imagine the way a momma cat licks them. rinse the cloth frequently and use a fresh cloth for each kitten to prevent spreading anything (I know. Chances are they all probably have the same stuff, but safe is better than sorry.)

Call for advice on doseage...a vet will tell you or call the manufacturer.

Good luck!

PM me if you want

Chrispyfur
07-13-2006, 01:17 AM
Thank you all for the advice.
In the past I was a Vet tech.
So I've allready done the warm moist compress. Which obviously has helped some, but what needs to be addressed is the infection itself.
Teramycin is also a watersoluble, waterborne antibiotic that is administered to a variety of animals to clear up low level infections (including upper respiratory infections) erythromycin is what I remember using years ago, it's disolved in water and the kitties drink it. Teramycin is pretty much the same thing. I've allready gone ahead and administered it, I'll keep everyone posted.
Thanks again.

moosmom
07-13-2006, 09:46 AM
CF,

Teramycin is also a watersoluble, waterborne antibiotic that is administered to a variety of animals

Wow! I did not know that! Thanks for the info. If you need Teramycin ointment for their eyes, let me know. I've got lots of it.

Good luck with the babies.

Chrispyfur
07-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Update.
So far so good, all the kitties are now responding well to the food and the antibiotics. They are behaving like kittens... running around at 300mph
They all seem to have better respiratory function as I'm not hearing the telltale rattle. The littlest one has his eyes open now and they are clearing up quite nicely. My next trick will be to catch them and apply advantage...
Eventually find the little guys homes... Oh... almost forgot... it's four little kitties :eek:

moosmom
07-16-2006, 10:16 AM
From what I know, Advantage shouldn't be used on kittens less than 10 weeks old. Same goes for flea shampoo.

Chrispyfur
07-17-2006, 01:03 PM
8 weeks is the youngest recommended.
These guys are just about that. I'll wait a bit longer, let the antiobiotics
run the full course. Keep on feeding them, (they're getting stronger everyday)
then I'll apply the flea meds. They'll be fine. :)

Laura's Babies
07-18-2006, 09:04 AM
It sounds like you have them on the mend and things are going to turn out great for them once you can catch them. Do you have a trap?