PDA

View Full Version : Dalmation/husky Mix

dawnandchris
07-12-2006, 12:31 PM
I have been tryiny to find out if anyone has ever seen these two breeds have puppies. My dalmation is due any day both her and the father(siberian husky) are full blooded. I have heard if the two had puppies they would be mean.. Any advice??thanks...

Lady's Human
07-12-2006, 12:41 PM
1)spay and neuter so it doesn't happen again

2) there is no telling what the puppies will be like. Make sure they are socialized early on.

Glacier
07-12-2006, 12:43 PM
We had a litter of them in our humane society a couple years ago. If they are like the ones we had, they will be extremely hyper, hard to train, difficult dogs, but not mean. They were like normal puppies on crack! :p They were a very difficult group to place out of the shelter. Most of the litter stayed for months on end, at least two were returned as adults by their adopters.

Neither breed is known for being mean. With any mixed breed, you just never know what the puppies will turn out like. They could get the best traits of both breeds or the worst of both or any combination thereof. Puppies from the same litter can display dramatically different traits.

And get your dogs altered. As someone who does a lot of husky rescue, there are more than enough husky crosses in the world already. Thousands of them die every year because there aren't enough homes for them. There is absolutely no good reason to breed more mutts.

Vela
07-12-2006, 03:00 PM
I have to agree with the other's advice, fix the dogs. As far as the puppies, there is no telling.

dawnandchris
07-13-2006, 12:06 PM
thank you all for your advice.. WE did not breed them on purpose though! It was a mistake my Husky is only a year old and we had no idea the dalmation would become pregant. we hadnt had the chance to get her fixed before this happened. I do plan on getting her fixed as to this is her first litter and her last. Any advice as to placeing the pups into a home?? what should we look for in the home and people before allowing the pups to go??

IRescue452
07-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Look for a home without small kids and one that knows how much exercise the pup will need. Make sure they are ok with hair because its a mix of two heavy shedders and you don't want the dog to be tied outside for its life just because it sheds.

Karen
07-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Yes, make sure it is a home that will have a fenced yard, a tie-out where the dog can run around, or a home that has a strong commitment to exercising the dog on leash every day. As you know, owning a husky, they do tend to want to run first, and think about the consequences later (if ever).

shais_mom
07-13-2006, 01:34 PM
thank you all for your advice.. WE did not breed them on purpose though! It was a mistake my Husky is only a year old and we had no idea the dalmation would become pregant. we hadnt had the chance to get her fixed before this happened. I do plan on getting her fixed as to this is her first litter and her last. Any advice as to placeing the pups into a home?? what should we look for in the home and people before allowing the pups to go??
Kudos to you getting her spayed after she has the pups.
My best advice that I have heard - charge something for them.
$5 or $10 minimum. Most people that have to pay for something would take better care of it then if it were free to good homes.
I am NOT a fan of designer breeds so don't tell them that they are getting a huskimation or anything like that b/c GOD KNOWS it'll start a whole new breed!

catnapper
07-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Also insist the adopter gets them in a puppy class! A cross like that NEEDS to be in class where their owners will be taught how to care for their dog and how to properly communicate with them. Make sure you stress that they will get big, strong, and independant fast. Be willing to take them back should the adoption not work out, otherwise they will be placed in a shleter and most likely euthanized because they are so large and energetic. Even though you had no idea that they could breed (a dog can get pregnant as young as 4 months depending on the breed) you still have a lifelong responsibility to these puppies.

jackie
07-14-2006, 11:28 AM
When my friend "sold" her puppies, she charged a spay and neuter fee, when she returned when they had the dog altered.