PDA

View Full Version : Mugsy's trek to Indy

mugsy
05-18-2002, 05:32 PM
Weeelllll....I went down to Indy today and met Max and took Sox and Tigger with me and I have never had a smoother transition with a dog. Max is SO low key. He doesn't like cats (which isn't a problem at our house), but he rode very well in the car.

I met up with lizbud and we have a great time today. I went to her house and met Buddy...he is a real sweetie. Liz went with me to the shelter and met Max too. After about a half an hour of introductions in the middle of a VERY active yard, everything seemed fine. Tig got nasty once and I reminded him of his manners and after that he was ok with him. I went in and filled out the paperwork and gave them their money and we put Max's new collar on him with his leash and away we went.

Sox got up in Liz's lap for awhile (and she's no lightweight) and Liz was a real sport about it. Then, when Sox got down, Max decided that looked like a good deal too, so he spent a few minutes in Liz's lap too. When we got close to Liz's house, we decided to stop at Dairy Queen and we got some ice cream. The dogs got the smallest cup of vanilla and they thought that was just the greatest and slurped theirs down happily.

Now, for my trauma. On the way down this morning, I stopped about 45 minutes outside of Indy to get gas and use the restroom. Of course I left the dogs in the car, because they are so good. When I came back from the restroom I started to open the door and....OOPS....the dogs had locked the car!! lol I went inside and called a towing company who came within 15 minutes and had the doors open in less than 5 minutes. $45 later, I was on my way. The towing guy laughed hysterically saying that this was the first time he had ever had a dog lock the owner out of the vehicle. He chuckled the whole time he was working...at MY expense I might add! lol

All in all it was a very pleasant day. We got a new dog (who is a REAL sweetheart) and I got to meet Liz (also, a real pleasure).

Ok, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

lizbud
05-18-2002, 07:27 PM
Mugsy,

Thanks for the invitation to meet up & go to the Shelter
today. I had a Great time. Sox and Tigger are two of the
sweetest & most well behaved doggies I've ever met!!
I think you have a very special way with dogs . Max was
a treat to meet; such a 'mellow fellow'. Lots of energy for
sure, but as sweet as they come.I couldn't believe how well
everything went with the new dog introduction. After Max
got into the van and all the way back home to Indy, it was
as if these dogs had know each other all their lives.:) :)

It was a pleasure to meet you today Molly, and also Sox,
Tigger & Max. Max is a very lucky pup!!! :D Liz & Buddy.

mugsy
05-18-2002, 07:49 PM
Thanks Liz, it is spooky how well these dogs get along. Right now Max is asleep on the bed with his head on my pillow!! He and Mike had a rousing game of throw the ball, chase the ball, bring it back to Daddy when he got here. We have never had an easier transition than this one...almost scary!! lol It was great meeting up with you and I appreciate you going with me to the shelter...it was a big help.

tatsxxx11
05-18-2002, 08:02 PM
Congratulations Mugsy! I am so happy for you . I know Max is filling a big hole in your heart. And how extra special that you got to meet Liz and Buddy! I'm so jealous.;) And FYI, it's not the first doggie lock out in this house! It happened to me too, a few years ago! The kids were probably pouting because they didn't get a super sized DQ cup!:D Kiss your newest baby for me. I know he is having the time of his life in your happy household.

Freckles
05-18-2002, 08:53 PM
Did you take pictures to share with us?

sasvermont
05-18-2002, 09:53 PM
Congratulations on your newest addition to the FAM. Sounds like it was meant to be.

PHOTOS, WE WANT PHOTOS.

:D :D :p

mugsy
05-18-2002, 10:43 PM
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH....stupid me...I didn't even think about taking a camera. I'm sorry!! I will take loads of pictures though now that he's home and get them up ASAP. Thanks for your interest.

Cincy'sMom
05-19-2002, 07:44 AM
Congrats Molly!!! Sounds like you got a great dog. I told my mom about Max and she is very jealous! She has always wanted a weimie!! Glad to hear things are going well!

anna_66
05-19-2002, 08:23 AM
Pictures, me want Pictures!!
I'm so glad everything went to easy (except for getting locked out of your car!). I hope he's everything you want him to be, and by the sound of it he is!!! Good luck!!

sammi
05-19-2002, 09:22 AM
So happy that you got Max and everything worked out. Great that you and Liz got together also. You are a special person Mugsy.;)

kobieeli
05-19-2002, 12:39 PM
Mugsy, that was such a WONDERFUL story! I'm soooo happy everything worked out so nicely for Max and everyone else (even the lucky towtruck guy who made 45 bucks offa you ;) )! Now of course we do need pictures of this big beautiful Weim you have!

And to add another funny "dog-in-the-car" story to your own funny one.... We left Kobie and Eli in the car one day when we'd parked at a grocery store. We ran in, got what we needed, and as we were in the checkout line we heard a car horn honking erratically. A minute or two later the horn's still beeping as we're walking through the parking lot with our stuff, and we see a family standing at our car laughing. It's OUR car's horn that's honking, we see, and it's Eli honking it...with his butt! :eek: He was turned around backwards in the driver's seat watching a bunch of birds in the tree near the car, and he was so excited he was bouncing against the steering wheel. (Kobie just looked kinda embarrassed at it all.) The family thinks this is very funny, of course--apparently they'd never seen an Australian Shepherd honk a Camry before! :D

mugsy
05-19-2002, 01:03 PM
OMG!!! That is soooo funny...and I thought MINE was embarrassing! hehehee

lizbud
05-19-2002, 07:29 PM
Hi , just thought I'd check in to see how everythings
going with Max & the rest of the gang ? Molly, Soxdoes
weigh ALL of 45 pounds. LOL. :D Just kidding, she's a
little love bug. Guess what, today Bud went around to
the spots where Tigger peed in the front yard & re-marked
the territory. heehee. Dogs...You gotta love em !!! Liz.

mugsy
05-19-2002, 08:01 PM
Well, Liz, Max slept on my shoulder all night and is currently sitting behind me in the computer chair...let me tell you, it's not very comfy!! lol He gets along well with everyone but Tigger, who is still a little jealous, but it's going well. He is pretty much already housebroken, knows sit and lie down, takes food nicely from your fingers, and we're working on "come."

Actually, Sox weighs in at a hefty 57 pounds...see how much weight you can carry now? hehehe I've got a call in to Dr. B. to see about getting him in for his rabies shot.

As for the marking thing...Buddy is just protecting what's his...now, I hope he doesn't kill the bushes! :p

Oh, and Max got off his leash today and didn't leave the front yard...although he gave Mommy and Daddy quite the little scare!

Dixieland Dancer
05-20-2002, 11:19 AM
CONGRATULATIONS on the new family member! He is one lucky dog to get a place on your pillow already!!! :D

mugsy
05-20-2002, 01:37 PM
Well Candy, he kind of just usurped the position (which didn't make Tig very happy either) and last night he just about pushed me out of bed trying to get close!! lol Thanks for the compliments.

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-20-2002, 03:35 PM
Congrats on the new addition! I can not wait to see Max's pictures! Is he a purebred or a mix? How old is he?

mugsy
05-20-2002, 04:55 PM
He is a purebreed. His age is given at two but that does not seem correct due to his personallity and teeth. Our vet will tell us with more certainty.

Gio
05-21-2002, 08:49 AM
I'm so sorry I'm late in congratulating you for your newest addition but I have not been able to log in before. Max sounds wonderful please give him a HUGE hug and kiss from me! :D
I'm a little bit envious of Liz since I'd love to meet you and your gang too! :D

lizbud
05-21-2002, 01:36 PM
Gio,

Just wait till you get to see Max's pictures.
He is a Beautiful example of the breed! Very
Good looking doggie & a sweetie as well. One
funny thing that happened while we were at the pick up window at Dairy Queen, the teen aged boy
taking the cash & handing Mugsy the order, was a
bit reluctant to put his hand close to the van
window b/c Tigger & Sox were watching very
attentively as the package was handed out. The
guy kept saying, Wow, is that a Pit?,etc.It was
kind of funny really b/c Tigger & Sox know very
well what comes out of the drive up window &
were only waiting for their treats. :D
(None of the dogs barked or growled at the guy,
just looked at him).

mugsy
05-21-2002, 01:45 PM
It's true...all of our dogs know exactly what happens in ANY drivethru that we go to...even the credit union gives them treats!! lol I might add that Max squeezed his 50 some pound body between the car door and the seat to get his ice cream and wouldn't let me drive because he ate it in my lap!! lol

Liz, Mike gave Max a bath on Sunday afternoon and he looks soooo good now. He does have a bad habit of play biting, but he is already learning to give "good" kisses. It took him 2 minutes to learn to sit and wait for his treats and to take them nicely out of my hand. He is also the epitome of velcro dog...I was trying to dry my hair this morning and he squeezed in to a space about 6 inches by 6 inches to lay at my feet!! Sheesh...I about killed myself twice trying to move! and also Liz...that kid was a weenie and obviously had had a bad experience with a pit OR buys into the bad hype about the breed.

Gio...if you EVER get to come to the states, you have a standing invitation to come to Indiana and visit us and then we can drive 2 hours south and go see Liz!!

Gio
05-22-2002, 05:30 AM
Gio...if you EVER get to come to the states, you have a standing invitation to come to Indiana and visit us and then we can drive 2 hours south and go see Liz!!

I WILL come to the States and this sounds like and excellent plan! It would be great to get to know Liz and Buddy as well.

Cincy'sMom
05-22-2002, 05:17 PM
And Gio, if you want to come about 2 hours east of Mugsy, we would be glad to have you in Toledo too!!!

lizbud
05-22-2002, 06:57 PM
Hey Gio & Cincy'sMom,

Do I smell a Midwest Mini Pet Talk Meeting coming up??

It would be a great experience to meet you both.:D :D
Liz & Buddy.

mugsy
05-22-2002, 07:26 PM
You beat me to it Liz!! I was just going to suggest that!! Maybe we started a trend!! hehe...now, we just have to get Gio across the pond!! Gio, do you have any vacation time coming to you??? hint hint!! lol

I think we should have it in Fort Wayne though because I can't take 14 dogs all at one time! We could have fun making the ignoramus next door crazy!! <eg> Edwina's Secretary could come and visit in-laws too!! AND, we FINALLY have a dog park opening this summer just about 10 minutes from our house and it's in one of the prettiest parks in the city (Mike and I got married on the other side of that park).

lovemymaltese
05-23-2002, 03:37 PM
Glad to hear it. Hope that everything works out.

aly
05-23-2002, 07:20 PM
CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW BABY!!!!!

Max sounds like an angel. I am sure he was meant to be in your home.

I am so jealous Molly and Liz got to meet. And Liz got to see Sox!!! I know I'm not supposed to play favorites but when I see pictures of Sox, my heart melts!

kobieeli - I almost fell out of my chair I was laughing so hard at your story :D :D

Gio
05-24-2002, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the invitations all of you. :D I will organise a trip as soon as I can manage!

mugsy
05-24-2002, 09:11 AM
Geez Gio, I hope you have about a month of vacation coming to you!! Just think you could be here a month and never have to stay in a hotel!! Too bad you can't bring furkids with you. Hurry up and get it planned...I'm excited!!!

Sudilar
05-24-2002, 09:44 AM
Count me in on the Midwest meeting, too! :)

mugsy
05-24-2002, 12:46 PM
OK...Gio...it's on your shoulders now!! lol You gotta come up with some vacation time or we're all coming over to Italy and abducting you and bringing you back!! lol

anna_66
05-24-2002, 01:53 PM
Ohhhh, I could make it to Ft Wayne, it's only about 2 hours away from our house!!

lizbud
05-26-2002, 09:24 PM
Just checking in to see how Max is doing.I'm sure
he's probably feeling "at home" by now.? Of course,
the family doesn't feel complete without Daisy Mae.
All this talk about the Mid West meeting sounds very
good to me. I hadn't really realized how many of us
there are on Pet Talk. I'm looking forward to it.:D

mugsy
05-28-2002, 08:45 AM
Max is doing so well. Tig still doesn't like him and bit him in the mouth so it's a little swollen, but other than that he is wonderful. He is SO incredibly needy. Mike sits in the overstuffed chair and Max climbs up in his lap and lays his head on Mike's shoulder and goes to sleep. He also likes to sleep in laundry baskets of clean clothes!! lol I walked into the kitchen yesterday (where there is a tub of clean towels and rags, waiting until the bathroom gets done so they can have a home) and there was Max....curled up and sound asleep in the tub!! lol He LOVES to play catch with the ball and he still has a lot of pup in him yet...I don't think the shelter had a clue about how old he is. I might add that they don't keep any records on their animals, which forced us to call the animal hospital where he was neutered (I preferred to say butchered...they had to make 3 incisions and he is STILL swollen) and THEY didn't have any knowledge of the process because they have too many dogs that come through there. Needless to say, Mike was NOT happy when he hung up.

Anyway, Max is wonderful and I'm really happy we have him...he is such a beauty.

Cincy'sMom
05-28-2002, 04:18 PM
Poor Max!! Sounds like he went through a lot before you got him. Thankfully he is in a great home now! He sounds wonderful! Hopefully we will get that PT meeting together and will be able to meet him!

Gio
05-29-2002, 06:36 AM
Max sounds so adorable! I fee for Tigger as well though.
Whare are the pics (nag, nag,nag) ;)