PDA

View Full Version : Snoopy went to the vet! * HELP !!!!!*

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-12-2006, 08:06 AM
Some time ago, I posted about one of my cats peeing on the floor, in boxes, on clothing, etc.... ; up till yesterday I didn't know who did this. But then I saw little Snoopy peeing on a freshly washed catbed!!! Darn, I washed it that morning because I found cat-pee on it . And now Snoopy was "christening" it again :eek: :eek: !
I was glad though that I saw her doing it, now I know who is the culprit!!
I collected as much as possible of her pee in a glass, and brought it to the vet.
Today I went to the vet again, taking Snoopy with me. She has an infection and needs antibiotics; there are also chrystals in her pee :( . This is all new to me; is there anything I can do to prevent more problems? The vet advised to give her special food, but that will be almost impossible. Snoopy is our "vacuumer"; meaning: she eats all the leftovers of the other cats... :rolleyes: . Can anybody give advise here?
As Snoopy is very difficult to pill, I ordered a pillshooter, and also the pillbags someone posted about lately. Let's hope she will let me give her the pills.... .

Little Snoopy was not very well behaving at the vets :rolleyes: . She was mad when the vet tried to examine her belly, and she even bit her when she tried to clip her nails! Naughty little monkey!!!

Pawsitive Thinking
07-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Ooooh poor little Snoopy - I hope she starts to feel better soon

Bengalz
07-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Lut,

Although poor little Snoopy has an infection and needs medication, it is better to know the problem and find a solution. I'm sure your other kitties will appreciate the outcome as well and, having their baby sister well again.

I wish I had some good advice about the feeding issue. Isolating her to feed would be my only suggestion but that would also mean the others could not free feed. I don't know how well that would work with your current routine.

Good luck with the medicating - that's always a tough chore. Hugs to Snoopy and to you.

Betty

mruffruff
07-12-2006, 08:49 AM
If the other cats can also eat her special food, that would be the easiest for you. And prevent problems with the others in the future.

catnapper
07-12-2006, 08:57 AM
I'm so sorry. I know EXACTLY what you're feeling. I know EXACTLY how impossible it is to keep one cat away from the others food. I solved it by simply puttig all 5 cats on the special food that Pouncer needs. It was the only way that worked. Pouncer REFUSED to eat his special food when I locked him in the room by himself. They refused to eat thinking Pouncer got better food than they did. So I'd open the door and Pouncer would fly out to eat what the other guys had and they'd fly into the room to eat what Pouncer had. It just was not working.

Now we have a nice little scheme going. He gets his special food at night as a treat. This food actually dissolves the crystals. He gets the Eukanuba Low pH diet (the crystal reduction food) at night as a treat and then I feed him and everyone else HIlls WD (which is a prescription weight management food, but perfectly safe for a cat susceptable to crystals). I spend $40 a month in food but its weel worth it because I have not had a recurrance of Pouncer's crystals in a few months. When I consider the vet expenses & all the cleaning product expense related to the crystals... I'm quite happy to spend the extra money each month on food. I figure it sounds more but is actually less since I'm not buying meds, paying for urine tests, buying enzyme cleaners, washing and rewashing a hundred things, etc.

catmandu
07-12-2006, 09:47 AM
We are Praying very hard for Our Dear Little Friend Snoopy, and pray that she is well soon.
If she has to stay overnight, there will be a Pet Angel Delegation to keep her company.
WE LOVE SNOOPY AT THE HOTEL.

Laura's Babies
07-12-2006, 12:42 PM
I think Catnappers way will be the way for you to go in order to make sure she has the food she needs and it sure won't hurt the others. It is a good thing you found out who it was and WHY she was doing it... Poor Snoops!

orangemm
07-12-2006, 03:02 PM
I guess that was the only way little Snoopy knew how to tell you she was not well! I'm so glad she went to the vet (even tho' she was rambunctious!) and you all found out what was wrong. Now she can start feeling better!

Yes, if you can get all of your girls to eat the 'good' stuff, that would solve the problem.

As for the pills, I am useless. ;)

lvpets2002
07-12-2006, 03:16 PM
:( Oh I am so sad wittle Snoopy is ill.. Oh yes I have give many of cat pills & there is no easy way to do it.. I have & use the pill giver.. Wrap the baby in a large towel so the baby wont hurt herself & you & put the pill in the giver & get mouth open &&& Good Luck.. I have seen now at PetsMart of little sausage looking things you can use to put the pill in.. I will admitt dogs are much better at pill giving due to you can stuff pill in a little viennee & this works great..

kb2yjx
07-12-2006, 05:42 PM
I got worried when I read the title of the thread!!! O POOR LITTLE SNOOPY!!! You were so lucky, Lut, that you CAUGHT her peeing out of the box!!!! If she is a vaccum, like you say, you may have to feed her away from the others and no longer leave food out all day. I have had bladder cats in the past, and the special diets do help!! I hope that sweet Snoopy will be in the pink very soon!!!! Please give her a BIG hug from ALL of us!!!
Sandra, Norton, Molly Meu, Raven, Tina Peepers, Nicholas, Riley, Hayley, and little Hope Simone

Glacier
07-12-2006, 06:31 PM
I tried switching mine to a scheduled feeding when Pete first developed urinary tract problems. Not happy cats! Didn't work at all. I had a kitty rebellion on my hands! Now they all eat the prescription food that Pete needs. Cost is similar to a high end kibble anyway. The only time they can't eat it is when Pete needed Hill's S/D formula. It's not safe for any cat to eat long term. Pete needed it for a couple weeks only. All of the other prescription urinary health formulas are safe for any adult cat.

Increase her water intake any way you can. It will help flush out her bladder and reduce the crystals. My cats like moving water so they have two fountains--the rejected the actual cat fountain and prefer two decorative ones I have in the living room! If she likes canned food, give her lots. The prescription food likely has a canned formula.

Good luck. Hope Snoopy is feeling better soon.

krazyaboutkatz
07-13-2006, 12:49 AM
Lut, I'm so sorry to hear about Snoopy.:( At least you now know which cat was peeing on things. Storm also has the crystal problem so my only solution was to feed everyone the same food. I feed them both the wet and dry Royal Canin Urinary S/O formula and they love it. Unfortunately it doesn't come in weight control formula so I have to measure it out. No more free feeding since I now have two piggies named Starr and Sky. Good luck and please keep us updated.:)

gini
07-13-2006, 09:10 AM
I had to laugh that Snoopy misbehaved at the vets. I always feel like I am a bad mother and not training my "children" very well when they act up at the vets.

But if someone grabbed your foot and tried to cut your toenails you would act up too! :D

My three always want to eat together.........but they don't eat the same thing. Annie and Rascal share a plate of wet food - and Emma hangs around until they are eating and then she goes over to her dry food and eats.
Emma doesn't eat wet food at all.

As someone has suggested, maybe feeding them all the same thing would work for you.

At least you now know who it is.

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-13-2006, 10:08 AM
HELP!!!!

I tried to pill Snoopy!!

1) normal way: put in mouth: does NOT work, she spits it out!!
2) with pill-shooter: she spitsit out
3) in a pouch: I added it to some knibble: guess what, she ate eveything exept the pill-in-pouch...

and.... I have lots of scratches on my arm :(

HELP!!!

Pawsitive Thinking
07-13-2006, 10:11 AM
have you tried crushing the pill in something sweet like jam or honey?

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-13-2006, 10:12 AM
Well, it is a very small pill, so I just put it in that pouch, it is same size as her kibble
:confused: :confused:

Pawsitive Thinking
07-13-2006, 10:13 AM
When Cally needed pills I crushed them between teaspoons and mixed them in something yummy that she then licked off my finger

Killearn Kitties
07-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Does Snoopy like tuna? The best way to get Jessica to take a pill is to crushing it in some tuna mixed with a little mayonnaise.

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Does Snoopy like tuna? The best way to get Jessica to take a pill is to crushing it in some tuna mixed with a little mayonnaise.

What a perfect idea!! She goes bersek for tuna, and she adores mayonnaise!!
I will let you know the result!

Sonia59
07-13-2006, 10:36 AM
I am sorry to hear this Lut, poor little Snoopy! I have no advice for the infection and feeding, but I think many more PT'ers had done it.

For the pill, Jasmine is terrible for it also, even if the pills are very small! I have found something that works like crazy: I use the soft cheese that you put in hamburgers or "croque-monsieur". Do you see what I mean? Sorry, I don't know the name of this cheese. I have tried with tuna and other food, but it is very difficult to hidde the pill enough. This cheese works very well because it is soft (you can also try the "vache qui rit" cheese, I am sure you know that in Belgium ;) ), you can really hide the pill in it.
Jasmine is crazy with fish, but fish did not work at all in this case.

I think your Snoopy is just a delicate princess, like my Jasmine :rolleyes:

Good luck, and kiss her for me, OK?

Abby&Buddy'sMom
07-13-2006, 03:23 PM
I dont know if this is any help or not, but when Abby had her UTI just a few weeks ago, I had to give her a pill daily for 10 days. The vet showed me how to do it by grasping her cheeks with one hand and popping open her mouth with the other hand and just inserting the pill at the very back of her throat , so she could not throw it back up. I think Abby was easy to do (give the pills) as she had to get another 7 daily pills as a follow up treatment. I am sure most kittys would not be so co-operative as her :eek: ;)

sasvermont
07-13-2006, 03:41 PM
What I do is hide the pill in a pocket. When the cat is least expecting it, I grab her and hold her under my left arm (I am right handed) and pry her mouth open with my right hand, hold it open with my left and toss the pill in with the right. I use this method to clip nails. I do the old "death grip" on them and the usually freeze. Even little, not so little anymore, Lucy.

You may want to ask for some assistance until she gets the hang of it. Miley is my current kitty taking meds and she is a dream compared to the others.....I dread the thought of having to pill all the cats at one time. I will have to take the time off work, to catch them all.

I feel your pain.

:eek:

Grace
07-13-2006, 03:45 PM
I do a combination of what Abby&Buddy'sMom and Sasvermont have described. Get it as far back in her mouth as you can, then clamp those jaws shut, and lightly blow on her face.

Only real trouble is that after few days, they stop trusting you and run for the hills when they see you.

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-13-2006, 03:49 PM
The vet showed me how to do it by grasping her cheeks with one hand and popping open her mouth with the other hand and just inserting the pill at the very back of her throat , so she could not throw it back up. ;)

I tried that, and even with the help of my daughter who was holding Snoopy and her paws, it was Impossible to get that pill in her mouth :eek: . That little monkey is really very lively.....!

CarrieUnderwood
07-13-2006, 04:09 PM
HELP!!!!

I tried to pill Snoopy!!

1) normal way: put in mouth: does NOT work, she spits it out!!
2) with pill-shooter: she spitsit out
3) in a pouch: I added it to some knibble: guess what, she ate eveything exept the pill-in-pouch...

and.... I have lots of scratches on my arm :(

HELP!!!

why don't you justask the vet for licoed bottles you know like motion is in example of what it looks like

Lizzie
07-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Lut - thank you for making me smile this morning with your description of what happened when you tried to pill Snoopy. That may sound heartless but I'd just come from the vet with the news that yet another kitten has a cold (calici virus, really horrible) and it made me feel better to see that someone else is going through heck. Misery loves company!

Have you tried wrapping her burrito style? If your daughter can hold her in one arm because she is wrapped up, she can also squeeze against her jaws to open her mouth and you can push down on her lower jaw with one hand and throw the pill, or poke the pill, right to the back of her throat with the other. I have to do this on my own and when I hold the jaws open, I make sure to slide a small amount of the lip over the lower teeth so the cat is less inclined to bite and it seems to work. There is also scruffing and upending. I'm laughing now, I'm afraid, imagining Snoopy squirming and thrashing and struggling - it's amazing what a ?about 7 pound cat can put you through, isn't it?

Husky_mom
07-13-2006, 04:14 PM
sorry i have no idea as ho to pill cats besides the one you posted, as for my dogs i usually inserted the pill in some hotdog or rolled it in cheese as they gulped it in, but i might think cats dont gulp as dogs so...........how about breaking the pill down to powder mix it with water and then shoot it with a syringe (sp?) of course without the needle ;) or mix it with some canned food?? well just a thought...........

sorry for your battle wounds.........