PDA

View Full Version : Peeing Issues

K & L
07-11-2006, 10:28 PM
I'm sure some of you have read the on-going problems we're having with spraying/peeing. Saturday I cleaned from 6:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. and most of my time was spent in the kitchen, living room, and TV room (where most the cats spend their time). I was appalled at what I saw. I pulled the fridge out and OMG spray everywhere, same with the oven (anyone with spraying issues should try this). I cleaned, scrubbed, cleaned, and scrubbed everywhere. I decided it was time to seclude and find out the biggest culprit (which use to be Mouser). I locked Kurby in our bedroom the whole day while we were at work. Came home to find one spot of dried pee on the floor. Today I secluded Miss Leila and found NO pee anywhere. So I'm going to seclude her in a small room with a litter box. If this doesn't work I've decided to confine her to a dog kennel with a litter box and force her to have to use this. Then I will gradually re-introduce her to larger areas of the house. If this fails, out to the cat-run she goes. What else can I do? I can't clean like that every weekend, and I can't stand pee in the house. Figure I don't have many choices here. I will continue to monitor Mr. Kurby since I did catch him spraying. Between this and medications makes me wonder "what am I doing with all these cats"? :D Just kidding of course!

Laura's Babies
07-11-2006, 10:34 PM
I have a problem with Amy not making it to the litter box but she can't help it.. Poor girl, she misjudges how long it will take her to get there and how many times she will fall over with how bad she has to go so we have the puppy pads out for those times she don't make it.

I think you are doing the right thing... it is what I would do if I had one that sprayed.

jenluckenbach
07-12-2006, 05:22 AM
Spraying problems are SO frustrating. :(

kb2yjx
07-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Agree!!! Spraying will drive you absolutely CRAZY!!! but we will continue to scrub and clean....because we LOVE THOSE CATS!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

K & L
07-12-2006, 02:09 PM
YES, it sure does. I can tolerate anything but this!

catmandu
07-12-2006, 05:28 PM
That sadly is a deal breaker in so amny homes, as most people will just get another Cat.
Thank God our Pet Talkers will give thier Cats a second chance.

krazyaboutkatz
07-13-2006, 12:54 AM
Lisa, I'm sorry to hear that you're still having spraying problems.:( I hope that your plan will work but at least you have another option to use if it doesn't.

I've been having some problems with Starr and he has peed on my bathroom rug before. Right now he's still pooping outside the litterbox but I'd much rather deal with this than pee any day. Good luck and please continue to keep us updated.:)

Lizzie
07-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Lisa - it's miserable, isn't it, and the battle seems never-ending. I can't stand the smell of old pee either and I too reach a point where I know I can't stand the problem any more. I don't have a cat run, or the weather to support such a life for my cats, so I don't know what I'm going to do.

It seems that you and I were doing almost exactly the same things last weekend - fun wasn't it :rolleyes:

I moved all 6 of my FIV+ boys downstairs over the weekend (much to all our misery) because at least one of them is spraying - I thought. This meant I had to set up a litter area upstairs and means that I now have litter boxes in 5 rooms, 4 of them with closed doors so each has to have bucket, gloves and scoop. I had to move furniture around to give them a somewhat comfortable space, then move furniture to find all the problem spots. I ended up removing the upholstery and padding from one end of my long sofa because I couldn't soak it. Then carpet and underlay was cut out. I just bought gallons of enzyme cleaner and an industrial size roll of foil so I can get to work on soaking all marked floor areas this weekend. I know there is more in the kitchen but have been too tired all week to move out the stove, etc. and tackle more of it. I also had to isolate my geriatric Ginger in another bedroom because I simply never know where she is going to pee and poop next - sofa, kitchen table, bedroom floor at 1am. She comes out when I get home for as much snuggle time as I can fit in after dealing with very sick kittens.

Anyway, I noticed that there were no spraying problems downstairs and was surprised since this area has been used by the outdoor/indoor cats my FIV+ boys haven't met yet. This morning I found spray all over a cabinet upstairs and realized it was Taranis and, possibly, not the FIV+ boys who is the cause of the problems. I had thought the Prozac she is on was working, but perhaps not. She's at the vet now, being checked for yet another UTI.

My vet remarked this morning that I have a full-time job looking after my lot on top of my full-time paying job. It felt good that he understood how hard I work.

K & L
07-13-2006, 10:46 PM
Lizzie
I sympathize with you also. The biggest problem is finding which cat/s are causing the problem. I think I have ours narrowed down to Kurby and Leila. I've been locking them up seperately and it seems Leila is the worse of the 2. I was worn out from moving couches, tables, beds, fridge , stove, etc. last weekend. And to think it's almost time again for another cleaning job! Are we crazy? ;) Hopefully this will end for both of us soon! Good luck with yours.

dionne
07-14-2006, 12:52 AM
feliway works!! i had the EXACT same problem with my cats, and they were peeing on my roommates bed as well (eep!), and we got some feliway, and haven't seen any pee since! it also stops them from scratching on things, like couches and tables, etc. its not very expensive, and from personaly experience, i HIGHLY suggest it! or at least give it a try, if nothing else.
good luck!!
dionne

QueenScoopalot
07-14-2006, 01:11 AM
Lisa..welcome to the club! Impy, my 3 legged backyard boy from some 8 years back has a serious issue with p**sing due to territorial issues with several other ex-tom cats. I swear that very soon I'm going to super glue and cork that boys whizzer shut once and for all! :mad: My household motto is "hang it high to keep it dry". I'd say 99% of the cats here behave fine (fosters, kittens..) but it seems to be without fail, the ex-toms here are the ones that start up all the marking. :( :mad: The ferals all are perfect potty users.

K & L
07-15-2006, 05:54 PM
:mad: My household motto is "hang it high to keep it dry".

Ha-Ha both that is the truth! I have to put up my purse, my work stuff, etc. When the granddaughters come over I tell them to get their stuff to the spare room (where we always keep the door closed) so they cats will not pee on them!

dionne
07-15-2006, 11:17 PM
oh my gosh, isn't that awkward?? my cat montana (who lives with my mom) went thru a rebellious faze and wee'd all over one of my friends backpacks right beofre school, back when i was in high school, and she also went on another friends clothes when she was taking a shower at my house...mortifying, it was!! :eek: