PDA

View Full Version : Numbing

K & L
07-11-2006, 09:52 PM
I'm curious if anyone else has this problem? I went to the dentist today to have a crown, and after 4 shots I still wasn't numb enough for them to do the work. She started drilling and I could feel it, so she stopped and rescheduled. She ordered a "special" kind of numbing stuff to see if this will take affect. I have such a fear of the dentist because of this. Anyone else experience anything like this? She said this is rare, but there are others like me. :rolleyes:

Roxyluvsme13
07-11-2006, 10:11 PM
I've never been numbed before, but OUCH!

Laura's Babies
07-11-2006, 10:39 PM
The last one I went for he was going to fill and after about 4 shots and I could still feel it, he said it was a "hot tooth" and couldn't be filled and had to be pulled... A few more shots and out it came.... Didn't feel a thing....

Craftlady
07-11-2006, 10:43 PM
It is not uncommon.

Chilli
07-11-2006, 10:57 PM
Nope, not uncommon. My father is the exact same way. :) I'm just happy I didn't inherit that trait.

Almita
07-11-2006, 11:44 PM
wow but no my dad is the same way also. For me i don't even get numbed when they do stuff to my teeth. But i haven't really gotten anything serious on my teeth.

caseysmom
07-11-2006, 11:47 PM
One of my teeth has the roots from the other tooth, it is in my chart that the other tooth needs the shot for that tooth. It wasn't fun figuring that out though.

Danegirl2208
07-11-2006, 11:50 PM
i am the same way...i had my teeth drilled last month it took more than 4 shots to get me numb too, the whole right side of my face was numb, it was ridicuals i was drooling like a baby :rolleyes:

Lizzie
07-12-2006, 12:29 AM
It's happend to me also. In fact, I once had a tooth pulled without being numb because the dentist said he'd given me as many shots as he could without killing me. That was on the National Health Service, where they expect you to be tough. Over the years I've found that the local anesthetics made me feel unwell, though I'm not allergic, and so I now go without for all my crown work. I'd rather cope with the pain than with the rotten way the shot makes me feel - when I tell people, they always cringe.

K & L
07-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks everyone! Well guess I'm not so rare after all! :D I go back tomorrow so keep your fingers crossed the new stuff works. I HATE the dentist!

Husky_mom
07-12-2006, 04:22 PM
when i got my root cannal (sp?) they gave shots like every 5 mins because i started feeling things, at the very last i just sucked it up cause they could give more and where almost done (my choice) but i wish they had some stronger stuff, for regular things i need a lot of anesthesia not like most people just one shot i need like 4 LOL.........so welcome to the club :D

lizbud
07-12-2006, 06:17 PM
I've never had that problem. The Dr. gives one shot, but injects in more
than one spot on the gums.So far, so good.