PDA

View Full Version : The little nibbler, and how to stop it.

elminster20
07-11-2006, 08:12 AM
So Tiffany has no fear, NONE. Bob and Don hiss at her and she doesn't even twitch. If she's doing something she shouldn't and we clap our hands or raise our voices at her, nothing happens! I thought for a bit that she might have been deaf, but no, she comes running everytime you rattle the food bowl.......... So that's why I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do about her biting. She started off just lightly nibbling on your fingertips if you picked her up, but she's gradually biting a little bit harder everytime, and no matter what we do, she just doesn't seem to care. Short of giving her peanut butter to glue her mouth shut (kidding everyone, but the mental picture makes me giggle), what else can I try. spraying her with a spray bottle is kind of out of the question because, well, she's already in my arms. Loud noises don't work, and I don't really want her to become a biter. if someone tells me this is just a phase I'd be really happy!!:)
Thanks all

catmandu
07-11-2006, 08:45 AM
A Cat Shrink said to divert her with toys and if she hurts you, to go ouch in a cat voice, so she will be aware that she has caused you pain.
Kittens never mind the Older Cats even when they are swatted hard.
If a giant hit me, I would pay attention, but thats why they are Kittens.
Good Luck with Tiffany.

jazzcat
07-11-2006, 11:45 AM
I've never had a problem with that so I don't have any advice to offer.

Hopefully someone can help you. Good luck.

catlover4ever
07-11-2006, 12:17 PM
I had a nibbler...when holding him and he started to nibble I would gently tap his nose with my finger and say very sternly "NO". It took a little while but he stopped.....it could also be that Tiffany is teething or having problems with her teeth and needs to nibble...try diverting her attention with a play mouse that smells of catnip.

jenluckenbach
07-11-2006, 03:08 PM
1-she's a kitten! that is how they play with other kittens. The other kittens usually tell her when she is biting too hard. That is how they learn. (one of the reasons we advise TWO kittens at the same time)

So, you need to show her your displeasure. And it needs to be totally consistant.
a-the tap on the nose.
b-say OUCH or some other loud vocal like another kitten might.
c-never play rough with your hands. use a toy as a "shield".
d-stop giing her the attention she wants after the scolding. Then only play or pet (at a later time) until she bites again, then ignore her again. This way you do not encourage the biting but rather encourage "nice behavior".

2-she's a tortie. Get used to the fact that she WILL be in charge for the rest of her natural life. ;) (LOL) Of course, this is a generalization, but it is mostly a true one. torties can be headstrong.

3-realize that "this too, shall pass". they grow up all too fast.

elminster20
07-11-2006, 04:15 PM
Ha ha ha, thanks for the advice. It's too bad my only experience with kittens comes from barn cats, which are half feral most of the time anyway, but I'll see what I can do, and she can be as headstrong as she wants, I'm a big ol' softie and can never say no anyways:)

jazzcat
07-11-2006, 05:13 PM
2-she's a tortie. Get used to the fact that she WILL be in charge for the rest of her natural life. ;) (LOL) Of course, this is a generalization, but it is mostly a true one. torties can be headstrong.

LOL, maybe you should have made that #1 Jen! :D

KitCat
07-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Hiss at the naughty cat when it bites. It's a language the cat will understand.