PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for my friend, my family & I, SAD update, new pics toward bottom of page 3

lv4dogs
07-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Long long story short, my BEST friend, Missy is stuck in Ohio. The person she was living with (which was her ex b/f) got hurt & is unable to work. So he was forced to move out of his trailer... 3 days ago (he moved in with his mom). Missy was still staying there because she had no where else to go. She has not had any food in 3 days, no shower, no nothing. She has no family except for her brother who is already helping her. He flew in Missy's son, Dayton, to his house (from Ohio to Florida) and has temp. custody until August or until she gets back on her feet. She has already lost EVERYTHING, her son, all of her belongings, pictures, everything except one back pack of clothing. Thats all she could carry out of there, and carrying it was the only way she was able to keep anything. Everything else is gone, forever.
We have tried EVERYTHING, churches, ymca, united way, village hall, sheriff. Nobody can help her. So I am dishing out $105 out of my literally very last $129 to buy her a bus ticket back here. I am allowing her to stay in my house rent free but only for a couple weeks because that's all I can afford. I am allowing her to use one of my vehicles for work only!!!! And only for a few weeks.
She will be allowed to get emergency food stamps once she gets here but we are not sure what else they will help her with.
She really is a good person, nice, helpful, thoughtful, caring, volunteers when allowed, a church go-er & the whole nine yards. She so does not deserve this.
I am doing this out of the good of my heart because god knows I CAN NOT afford this. I am literally living paycheck to paycheck. I didn't tell anyone here but I got rid of my hamsters & a ferret, in hopes to regain at least some financial status. We are in the process of re-homing 1-2 cats as well. It was & is hard for me to do, very hard but it was best for the animals. In a small way I don't know why I am doing this because I can NOT afford it and that is the only reason. Sometimes I think that I am too nice too often.

I was in her shoes once before & I lived on the streets for a little over a year. I tried seeking help from all sorts of organizations & no one would help. My family couldn't help, my mother & brothers were broke & my father & I had a lot of problems back then. I tried everything I could & got no help from anyone or any organization. Sure I got food sometimes to keep me alive, but I couldn't get a place to live or a steady job with no clean clothes & shower, etc... Because I couldn't get any help, even with ALL my might I couldn't get out of my rut. It took a friend to take me in for me to get out of that rut. This is hard to type. Anyways I feel that in my heart that I am ment to help her out but I seriously don't know how I am going to do it.

If yous can pray for us both, for her for all that she has & is going through and for me, hope that I can afford to help her out, we'd greatly appreciate it from the bottom of our hearts.
~~goes off to cry~~

JenBKR
07-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Oh Sue ((((hugs)))) I can't imagine how hard that would be. I will most certainly keep you both in my prayers. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know! Maybe PT could take up a collection to help? We'll figure something out to help you.

And there's nothing wrong with re-homing pets when you can't afford them (even though I know how hard that must have been for you). You did what was best for them and that's what counts. more ((((hugs))))

Laura's Babies
07-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Hang in there, God will reward your good deeds one day.

cyber-sibes
07-10-2006, 08:25 PM
(((((hugs))))) Oh Sue, you will both be in my prayers. Maybe relocating with you will give Missy a fresh start. God bless you both.

sandragonfly
07-11-2006, 11:44 AM
oh don't cry, ((hug)) tell me how I can help you! even help you to take in your animals for a while too!
(psst .. I am a driver once again!!) :D http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/mystichild/pinkgrin.gif ;)

sorry to hear you had to get rid of hamsters and a ferret - I wish it was to me! I fell in love with them when I first met them. sue, remember this - doing a best thing for a creature is best of yourself too.

am only a few miles away from you. don't you dare giving it a second thought. I know I've had things going on too but remember we're alike. ;) I'll be there, at your door, for just a hug if you need too! directions: click on my username, click "send a private message!", type and click send!

can she take a short taxi to somewhere? is she already on her way? I know going through this is more than hell, be in my thoughts with lucks sending out.

(((don't forget to take care of yourself too))) and wish the best to missy!

ramanth
07-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Do you have PayPal? If not, PM you snail mail addy. It may not be much, but I'd like to help.

*hugs*

JenBKR
07-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Do you have PayPal? If not, PM you snail mail addy. It may not be much, but I'd like to help.

*hugs*

Paypal is a good idea, I never thought about that!

BOBS DAD
07-11-2006, 03:50 PM
My God,

I am so sorry to hear all of this. Why won't Social Services and Welfare help? Will she be able to apply for these benefits once living with you in NY. I mean, isn't this why we pay taxes??? The government is supposed to help us out when we are down - so we can get back on our feet! I will keep you and she in my prayers.

sparks19
07-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Oh My I am so sorry. You are such a good person for helping your friend out when she needs it most. I know she will never forget it. I wish I was in a position to help. I hope I can find a little something to send.

petslover
07-12-2006, 10:31 AM
oh goodness Sue! Yes I agree with God will reward you someday for all the good deeds you do..

I will pray you and your friend..

I am sorry you had to rehome a few of your pets, but you did the best you could for them.... They were lucky to have you in their lives!!

Good Luck with everything..

pitc9
07-12-2006, 10:09 PM
I wish I could help you both!
What size clothes does she wear? Maybe people here that wear the same size would be willing to send some clothes to her!
Shoes too I'm sure, even the things that seem so small could help out a lot!
Do you have a Temp Employment place near you? If so have her stop by and fill out an application. Even a few days of work a week would help you both out! (if she doesn't already have a job)
Hugs to you both and I pray for you both!!
is she still in Ohio? If so, what part? There are quite a few of us here from Ohio!!

lv4dogs
07-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Well MIssy is here now, at my house, safe & sound. We let her rest & eat Tuesday afternoon after her bus came in & yesterday as well as she has went through a lot. She walked a LOT, for about 6 hours straight carrying a heavy back back on a 3 day empty stomach to get to the bus station. She was lucky enough to run into a friend who drove her a little more than half way. Her body was having a hard time adjusting to all the changes, being healthy then all of a sudden 3 days with no food & very little sleep, then going back to sleeping & eating regularly. But she's doing pretty good considering. She is having a hard time accepting the fact that her brother has her son, even though it is for the best it is still very hard, understandably so.

Today, hopefully one of my other friends is able to bring her to social services (I had no money to lend her for gas so she could use my other car). We shall see what they can do for her. Probably not much because they are greedy here in NY, especially so if you don't have children in your custody. We are pretty sure that she should be elidgable for emergency food stamps but very doubtful for any other help they will give her, it is the government after all.

Tomorrow she's going out job hunting. Jobs are not very plentiful in my area at all, heck there really isn't even too much in my area, let alone places that actually have job openings. Seeing as I have to provide transportation for her or at least give her money for gas & more upkeep on my vehicles until her paychecks start rolling in makes it even harder. She will be using one of my vehicles but I am not sure how long that will last. I was planning on putting one up for sale this week or next week because I need the money. If I were to sell one now Missy would have almost no chance at all to get a job. Kind of stuck between a rock & a hard place. We do have Temp agencies, but they are all about 30+minutes away. So thats not much help at all.
(too bad this didn't happen next year, they are going to be building a super walmart & a lowes at the end of my street this fall, less than a mile away)

We thought we would be all set on clothing, we have had enough of it offered to her. BUT then we started getting some of it & so far most of it is the wrong size. She's very tall, about 5'10" and skinny, weighs about 125 (she lost about 15lbs over the last week though). She wears size 4-6 pants, long legs of course. Shorts are of reg. length. lol She wears mostly med but sometimes small & large too, it really depends on if they are short or long sleaved (long sleave needs to be longer so her arms can fit properly) and the style. Like T-shirts can be a little baggy & still look ok. She's all set on shoes.

I can not even begin to thank you's enough for the prayers, thoughts & offers to help us out.
I have been feeling so very down lately, this circumstance certainly hasn't helped but I tell ya what, I think of how much you PT'ers care & it honestly makes me feel better.

Jadapit
07-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Gosh Sue, I feel for both you and your friend. I know what its like to have hard times, its so stressful on everyone. Please pm me your address (i used to have it but i dont know what the heck i did with it) I would love to send you a little something. It would at least help you on some gas for the car. You both will be in my thoughts. (((Hugs)))

emily_the_spoiled
07-13-2006, 12:12 PM
If the construction has started on the Walmart and Lowe's she should go to the company and see about a job. Construction companies hire "helpers" to do all the running around and lifting. Those jobs will likely pay better than a clerk at Walmart...

lv4dogs
07-13-2006, 03:17 PM
If the construction has started on the Walmart and Lowe's she should go to the company and see about a job. Construction companies hire "helpers" to do all the running around and lifting. Those jobs will likely pay better than a clerk at Walmart...

no, they start building in late fall or maybe they just start the lots then. The plans just got approved through the town & they still have to get the lots emptied (one lot is a trailer park). But don't worry, we are keeping that in mind.

lv4dogs
07-14-2006, 08:29 AM
Boy when it rains it pours. My car broke down this morning, some sort of radiator fluid leak. It's in the shop now and although he only looked at it really quickly (will look at it more later today) he thinks it's something that might be pricey because it's not leaking from any of the major lines that are visable. He *thinks* it might be the radiator. Gosh I hope it's something simple.

Sorry, I had to vent. I've had a rough week.

king2005
07-14-2006, 08:58 AM
Boy when it rains it pours. My car broke down this morning, some sort of radiator fluid leak. It's in the shop now and although he only looked at it really quickly (will look at it more later today) he thinks it's something that might be pricey because it's not leaking from any of the major lines that are visable. He *thinks* it might be the radiator. Gosh I hope it's something simple.

Sorry, I had to vent. I've had a rough week.

Oh no Sue :(

I cannot offer much, but I litterly have tones of shampoo & condishner! Its Fructice (ya my spelling is horrid lol) & I have that ummm the one where the girls are having an orgasm on tv :P .. I got it all for .10c when i worked back in Ottawa, so I can send you some for her :) I'll try to contact others here in the GTA so a larger package can go out & get them to help me mail it out...

What else does she need?

I have some body spray & other things that I don't need (I have so much stuff its not funny)... What size are her feet? I have a pair of black socks she can wear to interviews... Oh I think I have some Dove soap! I don't use the bar (I have WAY too much body wash to use up first)... I might have colgate tooth paste too, I haven't opened it as i don't like that kind. What about pads? I think I only have the overnight ones in cotton (thats the only kind I like).. I can send a few out to atleast help, since I no longer need them all that often. I have some Earl Grey tea that she can have... ummm... I can send out a couple of my CDs (I have them all in MP3 on my PC).. I also have an extra diskman (no head phones or batteries, sorry, but it works fine, I took it when Rob kicked me out hehe)

How old is her son? I have a butt load of kid games! I'll take out a few for his age & will send them aswell (I know she doesn't have him yet, but when she gets him back, atleast he'll have something)..

So make a list of things she needs & I'll see what other stuff I have laying about that I don't need or can live without :)

JenBKR
07-14-2006, 09:21 AM
Oh no Sue! It's just one thing after another isn't it. I'm going to send you a little something for now, then probably more next week.

Jess that's a great idea. If you can make a list of what she may need, I can send a care package too. I just cleaned out my closet and have a bag ready to go to good will, so I'll go through that and see if anything is her size. I might have luck there because I'm tall too (5'9) and...well I used to weigh about what she weighs, I've packed on a few since then, but I should still have some clothes that'll fit her.

lv4dogs
07-14-2006, 09:58 AM
Care packages, what a great idea Jess! We all know how handy those everyday products are. As you know, clothes are needed. She has a pair of shoes, 2 pairs of sneakers & a pair of sandles so we are all set there. I am sure the health & beauty products will come in handy because even if she gets approved for food stamps you can't buy those types of things with it. She wears pads, and having no money I don't think she's that picky. lol Jess, just about everything you listed will come in handy. Granted some of it is not "needed" but I am sure that it would be nice to have since she has nothing. I don't think we need the diskman because we have no money for headphones or batteries (we are not buying anything un-necassary right now), besides she can use my stereo/cd player whenever she wants. Her son is 9 years old, the soonest she would get him back would be August, but it will most likely be later than that because I doubt she'll be on her feet enough to care for him by then. Thats only a few weeks away & she has nothing right now. But as some may remember I have another friend and her daughter staying with me too. They are moving to Arizona, but medical problems came about just as they were leaving a couple months ago delaying her trip. Which left her & her daughter without a place to stay. At least she can take care of herself though, she's paying me a little extra to accomidate for the increased gas/electric & water bill & buys her own groceries & the like. It looks as if they should only be here for a couple/few more weeks though then off to Arizona they go.

As far as a list goes, I think Jess pretty much had it all covered, she listed all sorts of health & beauty products, personal care, clothes. Thats all the necessities I can think of right now and that is all I care to ask for because we all know everything else is materialistic. I am not the greedy type.

I've been signing up for free samples when time allows, they sure will come in handy too.

She saw social services yesterday. They still have to see if her application is approved for emergancy food stamps but she was denied for everything else because she has no children in her custody. We figured that but we also figured she'd be elidgable for emergancy food stamps right away. They did give us a list of some food cupboards but the ones that she is eligible for and are close by she has to wait to be approved for those too. Figures.

Thank yous so very much for your support & thoughts. We appreciate it immensely. :)

lv4dogs
07-20-2006, 09:32 AM
Oh my, I am at a loss for words. My nieces & nephews house just burnt down to the ground. Thank god they are ok, the ferrets were not so lucky.

We don't know whats going to happen. We are trying to find them help red cross, etc..

They will be staying with me this weekend, Missy is staying with my other friend so I have room at my house.

Oh my, I can't stop crying, for their loss of EVERYTHING and for the loss of the ferrets. One of whom I just gave to them a few weeks ago.

:( :( :( :(

JenBKR
07-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Oh my Sue....oh my....I am just so sorry. I am at a complete loss for words. ((((hugs)))) How many ferrets did they have? Ah, what a tragedy. Thank God that they are ok at least. I am just so sorry.

king2005
07-20-2006, 12:20 PM
If ANYONE can help me mail my care package to Sue I will love you forever!!

I was hit with a huge bill I wasn't expecting at all & then a smaller one lastnight, man the government really hates me this month. BUT I have so much stuff I can give to Sue & her friend!

I don't have it in a box yet (still adding more to it), nor do I know the price(yet).. I can get all that off of the CPC website.. I will take photos of the box(s), contents, show measurments, & will get the info off the CPC site & will post it (anyone can go to that site canadapost.ca) on request. It will be shipped Expidited (comes with tracking, insurance & takes about a week or less).

ALSO if anyone wants me to add MORE to the box(s), send me a list & the funds & i'll add it (I'll show the receipts & everything).

Karen
07-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Sue, so sorry about the fire, on top of everything else. You'll all be in our prayers.

lv4dogs
07-20-2006, 12:58 PM
If anyone is interested I have a list of my nieces & nephews clothes sizes. I know that originally this thread is for my friend Missy & I but as you have probably guessed we need help for other people now too.
Our family & friends will be forever grateful for all help that we recieve, weather it be actual items or just prayers.

We still do not know the cause of the fire but we do know that EVERYTHING is destroyed, they have NOTHING.

We contaced Red Cross, they are putting them in a motel for the night & gave them money for food but will NOT do anything mroe until she contacts social services.

RIP sweet Bigge & Mr. Nibbles. The ferret cage melted into nothing. COuldn't even tell it was there. I hope that somehow they died as peaceful as possible.

Anyways:
Brad, my nephew, age 9
clothes size 10 to 12
shoes 5.5

Michaela, my niece, age 6
clothes size 7
shoes 13

Crystal, my almost sil, age 32
shirts, large preferably x-large
pants 20
shoes 8

Pembroke_Corgi
07-20-2006, 01:14 PM
Gosh I am so sorry to hear about all of these hard things, especially the fire. If you PM me your address, I'll see what I can do about a care package. I really hope things turn up for you and your family. :(

JenBKR
07-20-2006, 01:20 PM
I hadn't gotten a chance to get together the care package I was planning for Missy, so I'll do that and add in your family. Any other items they are in need of? I imagine just about anything, but anything in particular?

lv4dogs
07-20-2006, 01:27 PM
I hadn't gotten a chance to get together the care package I was planning for Missy, so I'll do that and add in your family. Any other items they are in need of? I imagine just about anything, but anything in particular?

Thank you so very much. Yes, they obviously need everything but things are so hectic right now all we are worried about is clothing. (food & temp. shelter is provided by me & other family members).

I listed the kids ages, I imagine toys would be helpful to them, help get their mind off of thiings & to give them something to do.

Brad is into anything boyish, sports, board games, video games, army men, etc...

Michaela is a girl by all means lol she loves to play dress up, dolls, my little pony's, care bears, etc...

We already have a small list of some furniture for them (too big to ship anyways) lol

This is such a shock, it's so hard to remember all the things they will be needing. They pretty much need everything, it's remembering what everything consists of that is the hard part.

JenBKR
07-20-2006, 01:31 PM
it's remembering what everything consists of that is the hard part.

ha I know what you mean, that's why I asked what I did. I figured they'd need just about everything, but couldn't think of where to start lol. I'll gather stuff over the weekend and go from there. If you think of anything else in particular they need let us know!

catnapper
07-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Oh how tragic! I can clean out my closet... your almost SIL is my size. I just gave a whole bunch of clothes to goodwill Monday but I'll look more.

JenBKR
07-20-2006, 01:39 PM
If ANYONE can help me mail my care package to Sue I will love you forever!!

What do you need help with? Shipping costs?

king2005
07-20-2006, 03:14 PM
What do you need help with? Shipping costs?

Yes... It was hard typing my post.. kind of embarassed.. I plan to get everything together tonight & now that there are more people that need help I can send them some of my sized clothing! I have 3, yes 3 large postal bags filled with clothing I never wear!!

I don't give to goodwill or salvation army, only becasue they sell the clothing!! I'd rather give my stuff to people who really need it & cannot afford to buy it.. so I hord all my clothing & now I can finally give it to someone!!

This will be sent if I cannot get any funding to help me send the other stuff!!

A gameboy (the origional!!) & a gameboy colour with a bunch of games. It'll be for the ones that had the house burn down.. I have Pokemon so the girl should like that & I have several boys games. I haven't touched them in years, & I know it'll keep the rugrats busy & will put a HUGE smile on their faces :)

I remember the hell I went through when our house caught fire & I didn't loose anything! It was just scary, but these poor kids :(

cyber-sibes
07-20-2006, 03:47 PM
Sue, you and your family will certainly be in our prayers. (((hugs))) I would guess that Indy and Kaige are doing double-duty as providers of unconditional love and comfort!

lv4dogs
07-22-2006, 10:21 AM
Words can not express what I saw yesterday. I went to see thier old apartment, EVERYTHING is gone. I am absolutely devestated, I can't even begin to imagine how they feel. The poor kids are more worried about their ferrets than ANYTHING else. I saw it, the ferret cage,I lost it. What used to be about 5 feet by 4 feet by 3feet is now about only just a couple inches by a couple inches. But everything else is gone too, more than half of the furnishings and personal items were just ash and melted plastic, even the fridge melted.
I am surprised at the amount of help that people have offered. Still no help from the red cross or salvation army, or walmart or ymca or local churches yet but many friends, family & friends of friends are offering a helping hand.

This is a short update, I am on dial up, have a house full of people & kids & am VERY busy, but it's an update non the less.

EDIETED:
Most of the clothes that were donated are the wrong size, so everyone is still in need of clothing, and of course a lot of other items too.

They are in need of money for security deposit & first months renton an apartment and of course will be needing quite a bit of things for the apartment.

Between myself & a few close family members & friends we have gathered:
kitchen table & chairs
tv
vcr
dvd
vacuum
silverware set
and I think that is about it. Oh I am pretty sure we can find some kinck nacks for them too.

If anyone is wanting to get them something specific but can't ship it or the like, if you want to send money or whatever I can get it, show you pics of the item & send you the reciept. I am not asking for anything for myself, I am honest & offering to prove that.

I don't have time (dial up & family here) but here's one pic of the kids you are all helping & praying for: Dial up is too slow, here's a link to a post not too long ago with them in it:
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=107850&highlight=niece+nephew

cyber-sibes
07-22-2006, 09:16 PM
Those pictures are sweet, Sue. They look so happy in the heap of dogs! i'm going to check at work for some things your SIL sizes - is she tall or average?

lv4dogs
07-24-2006, 08:56 AM
Gosh this is still so shocking to us all. I still can't believe what I saw. To make matters worse, almost every newspaper article is wrong, or at least partially wrong. Guess thats what happens when the stupid news reporters take information from some one high on drugs. Heck even if they spoke to someone sober they probably would of got it wrong, news reporters never tell the whole story nor do they tell it truthfully.

Here is the real story:
My almost SIL's old friend from years ago broke into her apartment (she was visiting my brother in Onieda) and light a candle. He stepped out to make a phone call at a pay phone down the street and returned to find the house on fire. I guess he was on drugs, thats why he broke in & light a candle.
He is being pressed for arson & forcing an entry, not sure if any other charges are being pursued or not.

Here is one article:
http://www.auburnpub.com/articles/2006/07/20/news/latest_news/latestnews01.txt

My family lived in #12 NOT #10, it was #12 that the fire started in NOT #10. Electricity was NOT shut off.
My family is the ones moving to Oneida BUT they have no place to live yet, they are still waiting for assistance. They are all spilt up, my almost SIL is staying with my brother in his tiny one bedroom apartment. The kids are bouncing back & forth between my house, my mothers house & my other brothers house.
Red cross offered to put up both families in motels but my family stayed with other family members and the #10 side stayed in the motel.

This is another article:
http://www.syracuse.com/poststandard/stories/index.ssf?/base/news-5/1153472459168560.xml&coll=1#continue

Chris Swartwood did NOT live there, he is the one who broke into the house and the power was NOT shut off. Fire damage was NOT limited to the living room and stairwell, the entire down stairs is TOTALLY GONE, there isn't even walls left. I saw it with my own eyes. The upstairs did fair better, but one bedroom & the bathroom were totally gone, the other 2 bedrooms did just sustain heat, smoke & water damage. The fridge even melted, thats how hot the fire was.
The unit at 10 School St. had mostly smoke & water damage but a couple of their walls were scorched as well.

They are still in need of clothes. We had a LOT given to us, but most of them are too small or too big, and then most of what is left is winter clothing.

School supplies are needed for the kids, back packs, lunch box, paper, pencils, pens, crayons, etc..

Bedding is needed, I have recieved one bedding set, dora the explorer set for Michaela, but no pillows for any of them, and the other 2 (Brad & Crystal) don't have anything.

Toys, games, movies, etc.. are all wanted (not needed but the kids would do a lot better with them).

And like I said, they need everything (besides some of the bigger things, which I listed above). Crystal is still in shock. It is really hard for her to tell us any specifics on what they need.

Those pictures are sweet, Sue. They look so happy in the heap of dogs! i'm going to check at work for some things your SIL sizes - is she tall or average?

She's about 5'7" give or take an inch.

And to top it all off:
My car broke down again. Not sure whats wrong with it yet though. I have to figure out how to get it to the shop without towing it (cause I don't have the money) so they can look at it.
I spent more money than I thought this past week, my car, my bills (more will be due next week) and then some clothing for the kids and now food. We need extra food with the kids staying at my house sometimes and boy can they eat. I have $22 to last me the rest of the week & my gas tank is just about on empty.
One of my windows on my house is leaking, so I've got to get that (or maybe it's leaking down the wall or the roof into the window??) fixed.
I am so sorry for venting but I honestly don't know how we are going to make it the next 2 weeks. Heck after tomorrow or Wed I am not sure how I will get to work & back.
If it's not one thing it's always another.

I want to thank each & every one of yous for being so compassionate.

Edited to add that things are still pretty hectic, I am not sure how much time I will have for internet browsing, sorry if I don't get a chance to check out other threads as often as I usually do.

lv4dogs
07-24-2006, 10:54 AM
I forgot to add that I went to see their apartment last Friday, thats how I knew what it looked like. While I was there I spoke with the fire chief, neihbors, landlord, etc... thats how I knew what the real story & cause was. If anyone needs to speak with anyone to verify anything let me know, I will provide contact info.

I also forgot to say that help is going really slow for them. Red Cross & other places (SA, VOA, YMCA, churches, etc...) are not doing anything yet. HUD IS helping her find a new place, thats all the help they've got so far.

We thought we were getting a lot of help with clothes & the like but so far most it is not the size, stained, etc... and seems like most of the items we have offered to us are duplicates of the items we already have for them, which is just what I listed before:
tv, dvd, vcr, kitchen table & chairs, silverware set, vacuum, a couple pots & pans, some kinck knacks.

I wish I could do more. Thanks again everyone!

lv4dogs
07-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Here's some pics of the kids & their mother that I took over the weekend. I didn't get many as it was so hectic. I know it's always nice to see the face of who you are praying for and helping.

They all told me to tell you PT'ers thank you for everything! The kids are amazed that people that they have never met & live so far away are willing to help them. :D

My nephew Brad playing around with my other brothers backpack (he is walking to & hiking the adirondacks next week, that pack is HEAVY)
http://nanryk.zoto.com/img/45/37c1df84ebce8fde29df8f8d802fa712-.jpg

We were all surprised he could even lift it let alone walk with it on his back. lol
http://nanryk.zoto.com/img/45/814095fc7f53b9aa4c78cfe4537c8142-.jpg

This is my almost/might as well be SIL, Crystal with my brother Mike
http://nanryk.zoto.com/img/45/a6c1256b0e4385d02fcd0f50cefcbd88-.jpg

My sweet Michaela girl (it was HOT & HUMID, excuse the frizzy hair)
http://nanryk.zoto.com/img/45/48ddc9484f4554cfda907d0af32f063b-.jpg

Michaela with my other brother's pug, Shyka (sp?)
http://nanryk.zoto.com/img/45/89a24fa41f7968da28e78167a8998659-.jpg

My actual SIL bridgett, with Brad & Crystal (long faces because it was a long day)
http://nanryk.zoto.com/img/45/04073a026e4c760f3d24aaa25113c1ac-.jpg

left to right, Michaela (niece), Kyle (nephew that I walk for JDRF every year), shyka, Brad (nephew), and my mom
http://nanryk.zoto.com/img/45/1d7ce34386897208cd5189b9af250e70-.jpg

new mom to a veiled
07-24-2006, 09:44 PM
OMG Sue..........I'm so sorry to see whats been going on!!!!! I have some stuff here..........I will drive it over to you if need be......I'm sorry I don't have clothing for the kids. Both my boys are much younger than Brad. Why dont you PM me the phone # where you will be tomorrow, Tuesday. I will give you a call and we can work something out!!!!! It has been a while since I drove down to the USA. You are ALL in my thoughts and prayers!!!!!!

lv4dogs
07-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Just figured I'd post some more things that are needed that some people might not otherwise think of.
Cleaning supplies
blankets, sheets, pillows, etc..
salt & pepper shakers
bathroom supplies (shampoo, conditioner, soap, wash clothes, towels, etc...)
curtains

cyber-sibes
07-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Hi Sue, I just sent you a pm. Can you send me an address to send things to?

Cinder & Smoke
07-25-2006, 05:31 PM
... things that are needed ...

* Cleaning supplies
* blankets, sheets, pillows, etc..
* salt & pepper shakers
* bathroom supplies (shampoo, conditioner, soap, wash clothes, towels, etc...)
* curtains

The cost to box and SHIP those kinds of items is going to be about
the same as BUYING them brand new at a local store!

Rather than spending money at UPS and the Post Office -
buy a GIFT CARD at Wal*Mart or Target - and
let the FAMILY buy the right size and color - and eliminate all the duplicates,
don't fits, and other problems.

/s/ Phred

lv4dogs
07-26-2006, 09:17 AM
Hi Sue, I just sent you a pm. Can you send me an address to send things to?

I didn't get it :confused: but I sent you one.

The cost to box and SHIP those kinds of items is going to be about
the same as BUYING them brand new at a local store!

Rather than spending money at UPS and the Post Office -
buy a GIFT CARD at Wal*Mart or Target - and
let the FAMILY buy the right size and color - and eliminate all the duplicates,
don't fits, and other problems.

/s/ Phred

Yeah, Phred I figured that. It's just that some people were asking me to post some actual items that they will be needing so I did.
I did state that I am willing to purchanse actual items for them and show pictures of the item as well as the receipt so they know I am truthful. It would eliminate shipping that way.

lv4dogs
07-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Just a vent about rude people.

I posted a "wanted" add on Craigslist the other day for furniture for Crystal & her kids. I stated that I am looking for cheap or free items as my family had lost a home to a fire.
I am lucky as I have gotten a few replies (none were free, but thats ok, my dad is buying the couch & beds lol). But one reply threw me for a loop, a big loop.

A woman replied stating she has 2 end tables that I can have for probably nothing and the pics of them were attached to the email. They were virus free so I opened them (to see if it would be worth the drive). What I saw put me into tears, not one, not two but THREE pictues all of firemen fighting house fires. They were pretty graphic. I couldn't believe it. I was in total shock.

I politely emailed her back, thinking maybe just maybe she was looking for pics of Crystals house fire (even though these pics were NOT of her house) and accidently attached them by mistake. She replied back to, exact quote "what else were you expecting, after all you were asking for free items".

How low can one get? I can not believe the nerve of some people.

Does anyone know if craigslist has any rules against spam or whatever else this would be considered? Can I report her to them?

sparks19
07-26-2006, 12:46 PM
i don't know what Craigslist is but I am sure there is some rule about that. I would email them with the details.

Roxyluvsme13
07-26-2006, 12:50 PM
Just a vent about rude people.

I posted a "wanted" add on Craigslist the other day for furniture for Crystal & her kids. I stated that I am looking for cheap or free items as my family had lost a home to a fire.
I am lucky as I have gotten a few replies (none were free, but thats ok, my dad is buying the couch & beds lol). But one reply threw me for a loop, a big loop.

A woman replied stating she has 2 end tables that I can have for probably nothing and the pics of them were attached to the email. They were virus free so I opened them (to see if it would be worth the drive). What I saw put me into tears, not one, not two but THREE pictues all of firemen fighting house fires. They were pretty graphic. I couldn't believe it. I was in total shock.

I politely emailed her back, thinking maybe just maybe she was looking for pics of Crystals house fire (even though these pics were NOT of her house) and accidently attached them by mistake. She replied back to, exact quote "what else were you expecting, after all you were asking for free items".

How low can one get? I can not believe the nerve of some people.

Does anyone know if craigslist has any rules against spam or whatever else this would be considered? Can I report her to them?
How extremely rude! I think you should report her, even though I know nothing about Craigslist.

I've been following this thread, just haven't replied since I don't really have anything to give.

JenBKR
07-26-2006, 01:14 PM
WHAT?? You have GOT to be kidding - that was pretty sick of her to do. I don't understand why she would do that at all :confused: WOW that's really low.......

Karen
07-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Sue, look into http://freecycle.com. It is a great place where people are just giving stuff away, and there's furniture and clothes and all sorts of things - you'd be surprised what people just want someone to take them away! It's free to register and organized by locality, so things are all within driving distance.

That woman was rude, but it's not spam, technically. Just stupid.

lv4dogs
07-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Sue, look into http://freecycle.com. It is a great place where people are just giving stuff away, and there's furniture and clothes and all sorts of things - you'd be surprised what people just want someone to take them away! It's free to register and organized by locality, so things are all within driving distance.

That woman was rude, but it's not spam, technically. Just stupid.

Thanks Karen. I've been a member of freecycle for years. lol Thats how I've de-cluttered & cluttered back up my house before. lol I've already posted and have been checking the site frequently for Crystal & her kids.

I knew it wasn't really spam, but possibly a form of abuse or the like??????

cyber-sibes
07-26-2006, 01:35 PM
I knew it wasn't really spam, but possibly a form of abuse or the like??????If nothing else, it was morally reprehensible. Maybe she has some old resentment going on, and this is her sick idea of "teaching someone a lesson". Oh well, just move on...she'll get hers one day.

cyber-sibes
07-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Sue, sent you a pm re: package

lv4dogs
07-28-2006, 12:09 PM
If anyone can keep Crystal in their thoughts we would apprecite it. She's going to look at a few 3 or more bedroom apartments this afternoon.

lv4dogs
07-31-2006, 11:52 AM
Great news, they found a nice big 3 bedroom apartment. It's in a nice quiet neighborhood, right across the street from the school the kids will be going to and a playground.
They are just about moved in, just have a few things left to move & set up. By tonight they should be living there. They only have a few things left to get, like some more clothes & toys, 2 beds and some small odds & ends. Of course their place is pretty empty as they have just the bare neccessities but at least they are all safe & sound. Don't worry, I let them borrow my air mattresses until they get their real beds.

The kids were really down yesterday. I think it's really hitting home now, with them in their new place, half as empty as their last home. Michaela told me that her heart will hurt this week, until she gets the ferrets this coming weekend because she has no animals to love. It was sweet yet very sad. So the ferrets will be moving in this coming weekend. Thanks to some folks at a ferret forum I frequent, they will be getting some extra supplies for them.

I'll be hitting up some yard sales to see if I can get them some of the few things they still need as well as some knick-knacks & the like so it actually looks & feels like home. My father is trying to locate some decent yet cheap mattresses & boxsprings.

My SIL, brother & I are trying to collect some money so we can get some copies of some photos for them, a nice album and some frames.

Jill, we got the check, thank you so very much. That went towards the purchase of a new bicycle for Brad. Which should help him a lot, riding his bike is his FAVORITE thing to do in the whole wide world.

It's amazing how these kids and their mother have handled this situation. I am really proud of them all.

We all thank you all from the bottom of our hearts. I know we will never be able to repay yous enough. Yous are all angels and we are blessed to be a part of PT.

Karen
07-31-2006, 12:01 PM
Oh, so nice to get a happy update. Yup, yard sales and freecycle.com.

Do they need pots and pans? There was a good "starter set" in the ChristmasTree shop flyer I just got for not much money ...

lv4dogs
07-31-2006, 12:30 PM
Oh, so nice to get a happy update. Yup, yard sales and freecycle.com.

Do they need pots and pans? There was a good "starter set" in the ChristmasTree shop flyer I just got for not much money ...

They should be just about all set on kitchen items. They do need 1-2 frying pans & few odds & ends, like salt & pepper shakers, butter dish, a few more plastic cups,etc... but those can be picked up at almost any garage sale or the like for next to nothing. Thank you though.

sparks19
07-31-2006, 12:49 PM
yaaaaaaay I am glad things are starting to look up. How nice to have her childrens school right across the street with a nice play ground :D

I hope things with you are getting better also. :d

cyber-sibes
07-31-2006, 01:14 PM
That's great. Once school starts, the kids will probably feel better. Glad things are going better. A friend told me she got her mattress & boxspring really cheap at Goodwill - I looked when I was there, and the ones they had were all brand-new and quite inexpensive. (by law, they're not allowed to sell used mattresses)

lv4dogs
08-08-2006, 01:24 PM
I am sorry that this update is copied (x-posted) but I am really strapped for time at the moment and I wanted to post an update as some people have been asking how things are going.

My might as well be SIL & her kids are all settled in their apartment. They have almost everything they need besides one bed (for the adults), one dresser, a few (very few) odds & ends & some knick-knacks to make it look more like home. The kids are still in need of some school supplies but most everything else that is needed is for Crystal. It's really looking nice and they seem to be doing great considering all they have been through and how busy they have been. They send their thanks (major thanks) to each & every one of yous.

The ferrets are all settled into their new home with my niece & nephew..... except Spurr. I still have him. (does a BIG happy dance) He developed some excess gook in his ear and one of his eyes Friday night so I am keeping him until he's all healed. Took him to the vet this morning, got some antibiotics for him & some eye cream (already had all the ear stuff). $125 later we should be all set, I hope. I was and still am so worried that he will become depressed without his buddies. In that event I am prepared to drive all the way back up there to re-unite him with his pals at any given moment. But so far so good (knock on wood). He's been getting lots of extra attention at home to help make up for it. IF he does good by himself I may just keep him forever, as a single ferret. Oh and that is IF I can also talk my niece into letting me. IF that happens I think I'll be needing a bigger cage. I have my 1.5 story martins hospital cage but thats not big enough for my tastes. Don't get me wrong, he's got enough room to be healthy in that cage but it only fits one hammock, and in my mind thats too small for a permanent home.
Edited to add that the kids are so very happy to have some critters to love on & give some love in return. Everyone could see an instant improvement with the kids attitude & their attitudes continue to shine more & more each & every day.

Thank you all who have and who are helping us out. The ferrets, the kids, Crystla & I appreciate it way more than words can say!

cyber-sibes
08-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Yeah! (sending a pm)

lv4dogs
08-11-2006, 09:08 AM
I've got some good news & bad news.

Good news:

Crystal, Brad & Michaela are all settled in their new home. They have everything they need now except a bed for Crystal. Granted some of it is in my possesion but I'll be bringing that stuff up to them the weekend after this. They are doing great including the ferrets.
They & I thank yous from the bottom of our hearts. They wouldn't be where they are now if it wasn't for your help & prayers.

My friend & her daughter are moving out this weekend! Thats half good news half bad. It's good because they are finally able to move to Arizona to be with her husband who was relocated there a few months ago. It's also good because we will have more space! It's bad because I could REALLY use the $200/month they give me for rent/bills.

Missy is still living at my house. She started her job on 8/7, first paycheck of hers will be in next week. Hopefully she can save most of it so she can move out as soon as possible.

Bad news:
This is just me, I've had so much bad luck lately that it isn't funny & I just need to vent. You can skip this if you don't feel like reading it.

Within the last 2.5 weeks my car has broken down 3 times and in between those break downs I also had to replace the tires. One break down (which was last night) left me stranded as my car required a tow (AAA just expired). My car is also in need of both front & rear brakes & front rotors. My van has a brake line leak. (was going to put it up for sale but now that my car is dead I can't besides I have to fix the brake line first, whos going to buy it as is?) My freezer died. I have tendonitis in my hip again. My grandmother is not doing well at all. There's a few more problems/issues going on but I'll spare you the details.

Corinna
08-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Hugs to you Sue

sparks19
08-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Awww Sue I'm sorry :( ((((HUGS))))

I'm glad your family is back on solid ground again.

cyber-sibes
08-11-2006, 11:32 AM
...and the good new is..... you just saved money on your insurance with Geico?

sorry,Sue, I couldn't help myself. :rolleyes: Watching too many tv ads lately. Just trying to make you laugh! :D Laughter is good medicine - fortunately you have your funny boy Kaige, sweet Indy, Raustyk and her silly tongue, and that big ol' teddy bear Nook to keep your spirits up. Be sure to get your daily dose of smiles through all of this. (((hugs))) and prayers going out to you, it will get better.

lv4dogs
08-14-2006, 09:33 AM
IF you thought my luck couldn't of gotten any worse then please read on....

My friend & her daughter left for Arizona Sat. In a way it's great as we have the house to ourselves again, hooray! But that's the only good thing out of it, she left without paying us the $265 she owed us from the last month & a half of staying there. (had an agreement for her to pay $200/month, she's been there 2.5 months & we've only seen $200 from her ($35 was deducted from items she bought for us while grocery shopping & the like). This hurt big time. To top it off she also ate us out of house & home. Joe & I haven't been home a whole lot the last few days. I went to grab some grub Sat night only to notice that a LOT of our food is GONE, a LOT, GONE. She was also one of my last good friends I had left in this state so it was sad to see her go. Although after the tricks she just pulled I am not sure how much a "good" friend she really is.
The story she gave us for not paying doesn't really add up, and besides she told Joe & I two different stories. She did tell us both that she would mail it to us (would be the beginning of September ~rolls eyes~) but neither of thinks that we will ever see it again.

I am REALLY sick of being nothing but nice to people only to be pooped on with full fledged diarrhea. This just sucks big time. Everyday I think that my life is bound to get better, it must get better yet it only continues to get worse. Read on.....

While cleaning out the bedroom that my friend & her daughter were staying in I notice a nice new soft spot on the floor. Hooray for a floor that now needs replacing. NOT.

Had to replace some brake lines on my van Sat because well they had holes in them & the brake fluid was not staying where it should be. That was a little more expensive than I thought it was going to be and it was a PITA big time.

Still without my car, that should be done today or tomorrow but I have no money so it will probably just sit there until I get some loot.

I went to sew up some curtains for the room we just re-painted & re-carpeted (hooray for free paint & carpet) only to find that my sewing machine that I just paid $200+ for only about 6-8ish months ago is broken. I've only used it a handful of times, each project was easy & short. I just don't understand it. I thought that I could sew a few things that I've been meaning to get done. IT will give me something to do that doesn't cost any money but not now. Now I have to save even more money and see if I can get it fixed. I know that won't be until next month.... at the earliest.

There's a few more problems that occurred over the weekend, but that's TMI for you's and besides I am sure yous are more than sick of hearing me vent. I'm sorry for venting yet once again but I had to get it out. I just can't take it anymore. I feel that if my luck doesn't change soon I won't be able to take it at all anymore. I went to call some therapists in the area for an appointment but come to find out my insurance doesn't cover it. Figures.

I do feel blessed to have you PT'ers though. Your help & support means a lot to me. Thank you all.

Pawsitive Thinking
08-14-2006, 09:44 AM
HUGE HUG

Pembroke_Corgi
08-14-2006, 09:59 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you are still having such bad luck. I hope things turn around for you soon. Let us know if there's something we can do to help you!

lv4dogs
09-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Thank you all for your help & support it means a lot to me.

I wish I could say things are looking better for me but unless you want me to lie I am unable to do that.

I am sorry to vent but my mind is boggled right now I need to get this out of my system. Please skip over this is you are sick of hearing my problems.

In the last week I've dished out approx $700 in: vet bills for Nanook & my ferret Spurr, car troubles, house problems. Now I have to come up with $300-$500 for adrenal surgery for my ferret somehow.
Nanook is not doing well either, I know there will more vet bills in the near future for him.

A good friend of my family passed away last night.
My uncle Harry is in the hospital, they don't expect him to make it.
My grandmother is in the hospital, advanced alzheimers, she has only days left to live.
Joe's friend who is also his boss has to have an operation to correct a nerve that is close to his heart. He has stroke like symptoms now, if he even makes it to the surgery there is only a slight chance he will make it through the surgery.

There's tons of little things wrong with my life right now too. My house has 2 soft spots in my floor, one happens to be under my hot water heater, 2 burners on my stove are not working, one of my living room windows is leaking, need I go on? I can if you want me to. It seems as if it is never ending.

My work is having some troubles, the ecomony is terrible is pretty much what it boils down to. Therefore I am forced to find a new job. I know I will have to take a pay cut no matter what job I get. This is the worst problem I have right now I think.

I just want a break is all. I can't keep on like this. I am starting to get scared, not only for the welfare of my animals & me myself (bills, food, etc..) I am also getting scared emotionally. I can not take this anymore. I haven't felt right in quite a while now. I don't know how I'm going to do this, I don't know what is going to happen.
Please do not say god doesn't give you more than you can handle, or that things will get better, my life & my luck has been like this for about 3 years now, seriously. Ever since I ended a bad abusive relationship. I have been trying to better my life ever since. Sure I have become a better person since then but my life has in turn become a LOT worse.

Forgive me if you don't hear from me in a while. My mind is just so boggled I don't know what I am going to do or what is going to happen. Right now as it stands today I can't take it anymore, I don't feel like doing anything.
Thanks once again.
Sue

Lori Jordan
09-01-2006, 03:44 PM
I am so sorry to hear all this If there is anything i can do please let me know i wish your family and friends my prayers,And that sweet Nanook i know he has some problems but did not know his health has been acting up on him,Hugs to you and Nanook if you would like my phone number i would love to talk to you and try and make you feel better
Love always,
Lori

Catty1
09-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Sue - I don't know you really really well....is Joe a partner or boyfriend? Is be being supportive with all this?

I PM'd you with the only advice I can think of - if therapy is expensive, I know it is - is there a 12 step group or other self-help that can give you a place to go and be with people who are in the same boat? That can be really conforting, to know you're not all alone.

HUGS

cyber-sibes
09-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Hi Sue, sorry to hear things are going so poorly. Just want to send you some (((cyber hugs))) from JoJoe & me, and woo-woo from Star and some snuffles from Sherman. Sounds like things are going from bad to worse :( . I'm so sorry to hear about Nanook, don't we all wish they could live forever? I will keep Joe's boss, your Uncle and Grandmother, your friend's family, Nanook and Spurr, and YOU, my friend, in my prayers.
Call or pm me, I've been at the depths before myself. May not have any brilliant words of wisdom to share, but I'm willing to listen and just be there for you. Oh - and hugs hugs hugs to that Kaige character! Loads of kisses to sweet Indy, Nanook and Raustyk. I send a hug for Joe, too.

Catty1
09-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Sue - Although it is technically not allowed, on the Freecycle here I have seen people asking for car mechanical help, when they are in dire straits. And maybe they can help with a couple of other things.

I hope your "friend" pays up - and if not, I hope you know where she is so you can go after her in small claims court when you feel better.

HUGS to you!

dragonfly
09-02-2006, 05:08 AM
I'm sorry things are going so badly right now. I know just how it is to feel like you are bailing out a sinking ship with a thimble. Just hang in there it really will get better. Do you guys qualify for any kind of assistance such as food stamps. Even if it's not much just knowing that you can eat without sacrificing another necessity is such a relief. I would also check to see if there are any counselors in your area who work on a sliding scale for fees. The state may also have a someone who can help for little or nothing. I'm hoping everything gets better for you really soon. I will be keeping you, your family and your fuzzies in my thoughts.

Karen
09-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Sending you hugs, Sue. And then more hugs.

Soft spots in the floor - how much "flooring" is over the spot? Is it easily removed then placed back down? Often if it's something like tile or linoleum, it should come up pretty easily because of the moisture underneath. Replacing the rotted wood is a pain, but shouldn't be too, too, difficult, and is important to do before it spreads to the surrounding boards. Measure thrice, cut once.

Now sending more hugs.

Corinna
09-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Sue so sorry to hear all this . But look at what good you do have. The house basically is sound and a roof over your head. You have lots of loving fur kids caring abot you. Plus all of the freinds you can imagne here on pet talk. Hanging on to the good things and they can help lift you through the grey clouds into a sunny place. Sending you a BIGHUG and lots of love and prayers.

JenBKR
09-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Oh Sue, I just read your latest update...oh how I wish I could help. If there is anything I can do, please please let me know. Man, you have had one blow after another, I can't even imagine how you're feeling right now. You are such a strong person to have gotten through everything that you have gone through. Lots of ((((hugs)))) and if you EVER need to talk please PM me. Let me know if there is anything AT ALL I can do!