PDA

View Full Version : Kennel Fire

elizabethann
07-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Ugh....my heart aches today.

There was a kennel fire in Bedford NH this weekend. Most of the dogs were rescued except for 2 or 3. The place where I take Fenway for doggy day care is sheltering the animals until their owners return from vacation.

I just can't imagine what the owners of the dead dogs are going through. My heart goes out to them.

Please send good thoughts their way.

:(

Chilli
07-10-2006, 11:37 AM
The owners of the dogs whom died will be in my thoughts. I don't even want to begin to think of how they feel. :(
Does anyone know how the fire began?

*iluvskipper*
07-10-2006, 11:40 AM
awwwwww thats sooooooo sad!!!!!! :( :( :(

GreyhoundGirl
07-10-2006, 11:46 AM
:( The poor dogs and owners, that would be the worst thing to happen while away on vacation. :( That's so awful, how would I feel. I can't bear to think of it. :( sob.

elizabethann
07-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Here is a part of the story. It appears the couple who own the kennel were cooking bacon and it was a very old house.

Two dogs died in a four-alarm fire that gutted a two-story home and kennel on Route 101 yesterday afternoon, authorities said.

Firefighters rescued several other animals from the blaze at Aftan Boarding Kennels, carrying them outside and performing CPR in some cases.

Five dogs and three smaller ones were taken to the Barking Dog, a "doggie day care" center in Hooksett. Neither they, nor the two residents living in the antique farmhouse at 345 Route 101, will soon be able to return to the building, which was largely gutted by flames, the chief said.

The fire started around 3:30 p.m. while one of the occupants was cooking bacon on the stove. Without a fire extinguisher on hand in the kitchen, the residents rushed to another part of the house to search for one, Wiggin said.

By the time they returned, he said, it was too late.

GreyhoundGirl
07-10-2006, 11:51 AM
THEY WERE COOKING BACON ?!?!?!?!?!?!? :mad: :mad: :mad:

The reason these people lost their pets were because they wanted bacon?!?!

Not to blame them or anything, but they should have been more careful. Why wouldn't a kennel have a fire extinguisher ? :mad: :mad:

king2005
07-10-2006, 12:21 PM

Not to blame them or anything, but they should have been more careful. Why wouldn't a kennel have a fire extinguisher ? :mad: :mad:

Thats why I have baking soda all over my kitchen.. its cheap & kills silly pot fires.. also my 2 elements are nowheres near a wall, so there is nothing to burn while I turn around to get the baking soda... I also only use a frying pan that has a lid, & now I only use my grill, as there is no splattering & no nasty greese on my bacon, yum!

I still don't know how on earth they set bacon on fire.

I do & don't blame the couple. It was an accident & they did try to stop the fire, but were too late. They should have had a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, so it could have been prevented.. BUT they didn't mean to cause any harm on purpose, so I think they'll suffer on their own, as they lost their home, business & 2 dogs died in their care (I know I would feel dead inside).

IRescue452
07-10-2006, 12:39 PM
Poor dogs. The kennel I work at is in a cement building attached to the store. If the store caught fire the dogs would be fine as it couldn't spread to them. I don't think I'd ever leave my dogs in a private home kennel, too much liability.

Danegirl2208
07-10-2006, 02:21 PM
omg..that is awful :( :( i cant even imagine

Vela
07-10-2006, 03:57 PM

Well it is horribly sad but you can't blame the people for cooking bacon...sheesh. I'm sure they weren't planning on their home burning down and losing everything, on top of some of the dogs, when they were making breakfast. Don't be so darn judgemental. It was a terrible accident, not on purpose, and I don't see why they should be chastised for cooking bacon.... I bet there are a WHOLE lot of people out there who don't keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, even though everyone should. I feel badly for the pet owners but I also feel badly for the home owners. I'm sure they are just as devastated, if not moreso, they lost their home and their business not to mention the guilt they probably have from those dogs dying.

Laura's Babies
07-10-2006, 04:58 PM
I am one that is guilty of not having a fire extinguisher in my kitchen and that was the first thing I bought for the other house I had. BET I will have one before the week is over!

joycenalex
07-10-2006, 05:45 PM
i've got a fire extinguisher near the stove and baking soda on the stove top. it can still happen. those poor dogs and people.

mrspunkysmom
07-11-2006, 10:40 PM
I still don't know how on earth they set bacon on fire.

Grease is grease and it catches fire. My mom almost burned down the house 25 years back because the pan caught fire. She had followed the same procedure in cooking as always, but this time it caught fire. Perhaps it happens more often with old grease, which some people save, as my mom did from time to time. The particles in the grease might be what's doing it. But bacon is usually cooked in its own grease, so I can't say why.

She almost burned the place down because she panicked and wanted to put water on the fire. She is small but strong so I had to restrain her (she is hysterically afraid of fire) and call for my brother to put the lid on the pan. He used the baking soda instead.

So sorry for those pets, their owners, who must return to such sad news, and for the people who ran the business. I, too keep baking soda available now and always the lid nearby.

Anne

GreyhoundGirl
07-12-2006, 06:38 AM
I never knew cooking bacon could cause so many problems. I always get the microwave- 5 secs per piece kind.

I'm not blaming the owners, but if they own a kennel where other people's pets stay at, shouldn't have some sort of fire-safety plan? Wouldn't people ask that before they leave their pets somewere? ( I always do ) You'd think they would lose buisness by not having one. Was the kennel a hobby or a buisness?

:( I do feel sorry for the house owners, but I feel more sorry for the dog owners, especially if they feel the fire could have been prevented. :(

zoomommee
08-01-2006, 12:07 PM
I just found this thread through a search, as I have been keeping tabs on this story - we have been bringing our dogs to that kennel. The owners are a dear retired couple and my heart aches for them, too. ANyhow, here's some updated info of interest I found on topix.net:

BEDFORD, New Hampshire (STPNS) -- Editor's note: A story in the print edition of the Bedford Journal contained incorrect information regarding ownership of the animals killed in the fire. Two dogs and a cat that died were those of kennel owners .... The animals kenneled there survived.
...Thanks in part to the efforts of [one of the owners], who according to a family friend went back into the burning home and helped to retrieve the kenneled dogs and performed CPR on some of them, eight dogs were saved.

Sounds like they did the best they could for the kenneled pets... at the expense of their own. :( A sad story all around, but I bet the owners of the unharmed, saved dogs felt some sense of relief and gratitude.

Just wanted to share - thanks :)

Vela
08-01-2006, 12:36 PM
THank you for the updates. I am sure they are very hurt by what happened and I'm sorry they lost their own pets. They obviously are very caring about the animals they care for and other people shouldn't be so jjudgemental. I hope they had good insurance.

K9soul
08-01-2006, 03:12 PM
How horribly tragic. My heart truly goes out to them. They are heroes for saving all the kenneled pets. I just wish all could have survived :(