PDA

View Full Version : Firefox

catnapper
07-10-2006, 07:38 AM
I've had one problem after another with Internet Explorer the past few weeks. Namely everything freezes up when I have more than one window open. :mad:

I seem to remember a lot of people praising Firefox, and I just wanted to know a little more about it before I downloaded and installed a new program.

Also, I want to make sure I'm getting the REAL DEAL when I download it, It looked like a lot of different sites all similar in name when I Googled it.... all promising it was the official download site :rolleyes: Its possible they all could be, with Firefox just making it easier for people to get their program.

Anyhow, I am looking to download and use a new browser since IE is making my life miserable, and from what I hear the problems are sompletely IE related and NOT my computer. BTW, in the time I wrote this, my computer froze up :rolleyes:

Laura's Babies
07-10-2006, 07:40 AM
I don't know anything about it but would be interested in the responses.

Lady's Human
07-10-2006, 08:31 AM
for the actual firefox website, go to www.mozilla.org

sirrahbed
07-10-2006, 08:50 AM
We use it here :)

It is smaller than IE and we think it is faster and less problematic than IE. You might try using both browsers for awhile.

When you go to open new sites with things like videos, flash, etc, it will ask that you install a plug-in now and then but after awhile, it will have added everything you need. One thing I have come across as a problem is the eagle website that will not open for me.

Unlike IE, I have not had any freeze-ups at all.

I like it very much. It lets you change to really cute "theme" designs too. Right now I have light green browser window with a kitty theme. My buttons for home, relaod, stop etc - are adorable cat icons. CUTE!!!

Hubby is trying to get us away from Microsoft and so uses a Linux operating system and Firefox (Thunderbird for E-mail).

Kim - you can always try it as it is completely free. Delete it if you don't like it. I still have both browsers and go back and forth as I am not as "sold" as hubby is :p

Roxyluvsme13
07-10-2006, 12:04 PM
I absolutely love Firefox. I hardly ever have any problems with it, and everytime you need another window open, you DON'T have to have one open. You can just create another Tab :).

Randi
07-10-2006, 12:53 PM
Hubby is trying to get us away from Microsoft and so uses a Linux operating system and Firefox (Thunderbird for E-mail).
Your hubby sounds like a smart guy! ;)

I've only heard good things about Firefox, but am not using it myself. I'm on a Mac and use Safari.

Also, Opera is a very good browser, check it out! www.opera.com

... or: http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/

Lizzie
07-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Well, as a Seattleite, I should support Microsoft, but I must admit that once I switched to Firefox on both my home and work computers, I use IE only with extreme reluctance. I love the tab feature. For one thing, it allows me to switch from PT to something work related in one very fast click.

catnapper
07-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Ok, I'm up on Firefox right now. Its different. Things load quicker, but not quicker... if you know what I mean. Do I need to download all the extras that they mention? Would it go faster or better if I did? Help!

Debbie, I downloaded the cat theme but can't figure out how to use it -- did I not do something right?

MomToThree
07-10-2006, 01:13 PM
I love firefox. I use it all the time. If I am at a site that only supports IE I get upset and go some place else. I hate IE with a passion. It use to crashs on us atleast once a day. Firefox has only crashed maybe 6 times on me over the past 4 or 5 years. So to me it has been worth any penny if I would have had to pay for it. I still would if need be. I refuse to give up this browser. :)

P.s. I also have the kitty theme on mine. During winter we get the Christmas theme on here. :)

sirrahbed
07-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Ok, I'm up on Firefox right now. Its different. Things load quicker, but not quicker... if you know what I mean. Do I need to download all the extras that they mention? Would it go faster or better if I did? Help!

Debbie, I downloaded the cat theme but can't figure out how to use it -- did I not do something right?

Kim - try Tools..Themes...click the name of the theme at left of screen and then at bottom click "Use Theme" There are some new "paw" themes in all different colors as well as the kitty theme that is called Red Cats. This last one is on page two of the animal choices. You can also add more icons by clicking at the top of the browser window and selecting "Customize Toolbar" - even more icons that fit with the theme.

Another thing you may want to do is import the bookmarks you already have been using - just click File...Import. You can also import the usual cookies and internet settings

As for loading the extras, once you visit all the usual sites you use and get the plug-ins, you will not need more unless you try to load a page with something you have not yet used - know what I mean? It takes a day or two of browsing to get Firefox to have what you need.

G535
07-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Once you get away from IE you'll never go back again!

I also use Linux, haven't touched IE for years. :)

dab_20
07-10-2006, 07:58 PM
I have Mozilla Firefox. I really like it... it's alot better then Internet Explorer IMO! Sorry, I don't know anything about downloading it... my brother did!

Roxyluvsme13
07-10-2006, 07:59 PM
My Firefox is pink :D.

PinkSunshine
07-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Another Firefox lover here.... Much more secure than I.E. Here's a thread that I started awhile ago about the extensions:

HERE (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=105888)

K9karen
07-10-2006, 11:51 PM
Once you get away from IE you'll never go back again!

I also use Linux, haven't touched IE for years. :)

Same here. My John specializes in Linux, Debian and some others I've never heard of. I love Firefox too

Vette
07-11-2006, 12:12 AM
I LOVE FireFox. its my life line now.
i got fed up with Internet Explorer when a lot of stuff wouldnt load in it,, and downloaded FireFox.

and heres the propper page to download it off of

http://www.mozilla.com/

FireFox is a lot like Internet Explorer... it looks and feels like Internet Explorer,, but problem free.