PDA

View Full Version : Useless facts!

Danegirl2208
07-10-2006, 03:37 AM
Here are some completly useless facts to fill your mind with ;)

The original game of "Monopoly" was circular.

It costs more to buy a new car today in the United States than it cost Christopher Columbus to equip and undertake three voyages to and from the New World.

One-fourth of the world's population lives on less than $200 a year.

Ninety million people survive on less than $75 a year.

The sentence "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter in the English language.

The word racecar and kayak are the same whether they are read left to right or right to left.

TYPEWRITER, is the longest word that can be made using the letters on only one row of the keyboard.

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is the fear of long words.
A snail can sleep for 3 years.

Did you know you share your birthday with at least 9 million other people in the world.

More people are killed by donkeys annually than are killed in plane crashes.

Women blink nearly twice as much as men.

The continents names all end with the same letter with which they start.

Barbie's full first name is Barbara Millicent Roberts

Most elephants weigh less than the tongue of the blue whale.

Ants stretch when they wake up. They also appear to yawn in a very human manner before taking up the tasks of the day.

You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching television

On the new hundred-dollar bill the time on the clock tower of Independence Hall is 4:10.

All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the $5 bill.

A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.

Danegirl2208
07-10-2006, 03:41 AM
Here are some more! arnt you lucky!! lmao

An ostrich's eye is bigger than it's brain.

Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.

Deborah Winger did the voice of E.T.

A pregnant goldfish is called a twit

On an American one-dollar bill, there is an owl in the upper left-hand corner of the "1" encased in the "shield" and a spider hidden in the front upper right-hand corner.

Maine is the toothpick capital of the world.

It was illegal to sell ET dolls in France because there is a law against selling dolls without human faces.

The numbers '172' can be found on the back of the U.S. $5 dollar bill in the bushes at the base of the Lincoln Memorial.

Horses cannot vomit.

Pocahontas appeared on the back of the $20 bill in 1875.

Napoleon constructed his battle plans in a sandbox.

Both Hitler and Napoleon were missing one testicle.

A group of ravens is called a murder.

Starfish don't have brains

Shrimps' hearts are in their heads.

Laura's Babies
07-10-2006, 07:37 AM
Thanks, I needed to know all that! :D

Dorothy39
07-10-2006, 10:05 AM
That's some wild stuff!!!!

I did find the number in the bushes at the base of the LIncoln Memorial.

I knew that the states were printed along the memorial :p

However, I can't see the Owl on the $1.00 bill, nor, the spider :confused:

moosmom
07-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Did you also know that the hands of Abraham Lincoln in the Lincoln Monument spells out A.L. in sign language?

Dorothy39
07-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Did you also know that the hands of Abraham Lincoln in the Lincoln Monument spells out A.L. in sign language?
Wow,

His likeness is seated , with his arms resting on each side of the large "throne" (for lack of a better word to describe it).

I have to go to google and look at his hands again!!! I've never heard that one.

Dorothy39
07-10-2006, 12:17 PM
I took a crash course on sign lauguage. While A.Lincolns left had is positioned as the letter "A", his right hand is not positioned as the letter "L".

Maybe there are a few more positions in sign lauguage for "L"?

Suki Wingy
07-10-2006, 03:07 PM
"Horses cannot vomit"
Neither can rabbits. In horses it is a very serious usually life threatening thing called colic. Signs of it are kicking the stomach and repeated roling along with general distress and it is advised to walk the horse slowly until it passes.