PDA

View Full Version : Answers about Netsnapshot

Logan
05-17-2002, 11:52 PM
I just received this email:

Hi -

It's good news and bad news time.

The good news is that netsnapshot is now much faster.

The bad news, for many of you, is that we opted to deny outside link
access to individual images in order to achieve the speed increase.

All of your images are still on-line and available through your albums.

netsnapshot was founded in 1999 as a photo album sharing site. We never
envisioned nor intended netsnapshot as a means for posting individual
images to auctions or message boards.

For several months now, the bulk of the traffic on our server has been
through outside links to individual images.

At times this load has made our internal network, our
www.pacificcodeworks.com website _and_ netsnapshot painful to use.

For you ezcode users, as an alternative to the individual [img] link,
we still allow [link]s to _albums_.

Under the first picture of each album on the 'my albums' page, there is
now an 'L'. Clicking the 'L' will give you a popup with a simple ezcode
link to your album. If you want to post a link to an album on a message
board, use this link. Unlike an [img], a [link] generates no load on
our server unless it is clicked.

Though the album interface, you can provide long captions for your
pictures and users can sign your guestbook - all of these features get
back to how netsnapshot was originally intended to be used.

If there is enough interest, say 10% of the current account holders,
we would be willing to grant access to individual images on a fee for
service basis. Please let us know if this is of interest to you.

We know this is a blow for many of you, but it was a necessary course
of action in order to keep netsnapshot viable.

Thank You

-Greg

aly
05-18-2002, 07:24 AM
I was just coming to post that email too.

This is so frusterating! Time to change to imagestation until they decide not to link pics either. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

anna_66
05-18-2002, 07:52 AM
This just gets so aggravating!!!!http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/geno/3st.gif
What WILL we do next?!http://www.unique-hardware.co.uk/server-smilies/otn/confused/shrug03.gif

Ann
05-18-2002, 08:52 AM
Why not buy a hosting package? That's what I have done and it's perfect. I can have a big website that loads fast and doesn't have annoying ads, you can post your pics off site as much as you want without problems and it really isn't THAT expensive. I could give you the URL to my hoster if you want... And if it is too expensive for you guys, why not get a hosting package TOGETHER? Then everyone could have access and post pics from it, and everyone shares the cost.

Just an idea...

It's just a bad idea to rely on all these free places because sooner or later they will shut down off-site linking when they see that people abuse it. Most of those places don't charge anything for those kind of services, and the only way they can make money of it is if people view users albums and are subjected to ads. It costs alot to keep those places running so I am really not surprised that so many are shutting it down like this. Internet is becoming very commercialized these days, it's a shame really.

anna_66
05-18-2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Ann
Why not buy a hosting package?
I could give you the URL to my hoster if you want.

That would be nice Ann, do they tell you how much it costs and everything? Does it all have to be done in HTML? I really don't understand setting up a webpage like that! I'm just now getting to be a little computer literate!

Ann
05-18-2002, 09:34 AM
topclasshost.com (http://www.topclasshost.com)

Yes they will tell you how much it costs. But if you find their packages to expensive, let me know and I will email them for you and ask if they will do a special deal for you (they did that for me and it's perfect).

Yes, you'd have to use HTML I belive... Although I'm sure you could use a program like Microsoft FrontPage if you wanted. Maybe the hoster even has some program that would help you (I'm not sure about that though).

Anyways, just let me know if you would prefer a smaller and cheaper package and I can email them for you! :)

squills
05-18-2002, 03:55 PM
Check with your ISP. Alot of ISPs offer free hosting to their customers as long as the total files sizes are under a certain amount - for instance, I can have up to 3,000 KB on my page without incurring an extra charge. There are no ads on the pages.

sammi
05-19-2002, 08:00 AM
Thank you squills for the info - but I am coputer stupid yet! I have a local ISP (that is all we can recieve in this area) and they did say something about "A free web page included" is that the same thing? :confused: Thanks!