PDA

View Full Version : The power of smell

catnapper
07-09-2006, 11:57 AM
I was sitting here on the computer when I smelled something that immediately took me back to my childhood: the smell of grandmom sunbathing in the yard. *Sniff* *sniff* Who can be wearing her suntan lotion, or as she called it, "tanning oil".

Then it hit me, its not tanning oil, its baby oil! LOL Ashley changed the baby's diaper and put baby oil on Cameron's bottom! It never occured to me that people might actually use baby oil for its intended purpose. All my life, it was grandmom's tanning oil! (No wonder she had skin cancer :eek: )

I was thinking though how scents can trigger powerful memories. Anyone have certain scents that take you back?

MariaM
07-09-2006, 12:22 PM
It doesn't happen very often, but sometimes Major will have a certain smell that reminds me of when I very very first got him. I can't remember the smell right now but if it comes, then it takes me right back there.

Randi
07-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Oh yes, I can relate. ;) A few years ago, I were in a place where I could smell my grandmothers kitchen. I think it had something to do with her oldfashioned gas stove, but I loved that smell. :)

sirrahbed
07-09-2006, 12:49 PM
..that smell takes me back to the late 60's/early70's :)

I have caught whiffs of it lately while out shopping. I wonder if it is on someone my age or if this scent is being revived? :cool:

kuhio98
07-09-2006, 04:21 PM
The smell of hot dust takes me back to my pre-teen years in the 70's when we lived on a hot, dusty road and summers seemed to last forever.....

Cookiebaker
07-09-2006, 04:28 PM
You are certainly right that the power of smell is extremely powerful. Unfortunately, these days, it's powerful in all the wrong sorts of ways for me. It's driving me nuts. :( :rolleyes:

Danegirl2208
07-09-2006, 04:38 PM
i can also relate..the smell of bug repellent reminds me of the year i spent in Georgia..and the smell of mashed potatoes brings back a not so nice memory of a car acciedent i was in years ago, and the smell of air bags..(the first thing i ate after the accident was mashed potatoes)..very odd

Dorothy39
07-09-2006, 04:40 PM
The smell of hot dust takes me back to my pre-teen years in the 70's when we lived on a hot, dusty road and summers seemed to last forever.....
i can relate to that smell! I think a lot of people can.

this thread is down to Earth!!! I 'll come back when I can post a reply as good as yours!!!!

sirrahbed
07-09-2006, 05:19 PM
I smelled another *memory* a bit ago - we have the sprinkler out watering the lawn. Especially when it is set on "mist" - it has this.....just wonderful smell :D

lizbud
07-09-2006, 05:34 PM
I know that our sense of smell is a highly important one to have.Just as
important as sight or speech.Even now the smell of baked apples reminds
me of the apple pies my Grandma used to make.This part of my childhood
was a happy one, so the smell makes me feel happy & contented.. :)

Dorothy39
07-09-2006, 06:04 PM
I know that our sense of smell is a highly important one to have.Just as
important as sight or speech.Even now the smell of baked apples reminds
me of the apple pies my Grandma used to make.This part of my childhood
was a happy one, so the smell makes me feel happy & contented.. :)
Yep, something about APPLES!!! along with clean linens fresh from the clothes line!!!!

these smells always make me remember MOM!!!!!!

moosmom
07-09-2006, 06:19 PM
The smell of Old Spice reminds me of my Dad, not to mention the smell of cigar smoke. The smell of the perfume Fiji reminds me of my Mom.

shais_mom
07-09-2006, 09:15 PM
I just love the smell of freshly cut grass.
I love to just go to my parents or my grandma's house in the fall and smell the harvest.
Not so good smell - My grandma's sister died of breast cancer and her other sister took care of her after chemo and when she would get sick my aunt said it smelled like muskmelon/cantelope and she couldn't eat it ever again. I didn't like it before then and now every time I smell it that is what I think of so I can't eat it either!

Rachel
07-10-2006, 06:15 AM
Just recently I smelled something that reminded me of a bar soap we would sometimes use when I was a kid, but for the life of me I couldn't remember its name. It was easy to figure out all though, all I had to do was google *red bar soap* and I found it....LIFEBOUY.

Ginger's Mom
07-10-2006, 08:33 AM
Just a quick little tidbit I had read many years ago. It was hypothesized that de ja vu was actually brought about by a smell that you didn't even notice but that brought back a memory that caused the been there before feeling. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Dorothy39
07-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Just a quick little tidbit I had read many years ago. It was hypothesized that de ja vu was actually brought about by a smell that you didn't even notice but that brought back a memory that caused the been there before feeling. I thought that was pretty interesting.
That is quite interesting.

I've read about the De Ja Vu experience. I can't recall word for word what I read right now . :rolleyes:

The portion in our brain that controls memory , records what we are doing, what we are seeing ,etc...., and plays it back instantly!!!!

I understand your hypothesis with the sense of smell triggering this sensation . I find it overwhelming whenever I experience it!!!!

Edwina's Secretary
07-10-2006, 03:06 PM
I have read the sense of smell is the most powerful in evoking memories. And I think it so true! How many times a smell will take me back to someplace...like fresh cut grass...or the smell of rain...

Suki Wingy
07-10-2006, 03:16 PM
It's sad but the smell of lingering cigarette smoke on someone reminds me of visiting my dad when he lived in AZ when I was 7/8 years old. It was only until my mom started smoking behind my back and tried to hide it that I connected it.
Oh of course the smell of oiled leather takes me to the barn

Sus
07-10-2006, 04:28 PM
The smell of onions on my hands from cooking make me think of my Grandmother... and I just love the smell of moisture on dry grass: It reminds me of the times when I was the most happy as a child - which was when I was surrounded by all kinds of perfectly groomed farm animals, beautiful horses and proud owners and happy families enjoying a day out at the annual cattle fair (wonder if that is the right word for it?) which took place right next to where we lived...

I ususually bought (or begged my mom to buy!) tickets for all 3 days and I allways got terribly depressed when it was all over... meanwhile the rest of the family drew a sigh of relief as the car traffic in our street subsided and the loudspeakers grew silent... :)

Love,
Sus and Bella

Dorothy39
07-10-2006, 07:03 PM
The smell of bleach on my hands makes me remember when my mother would button the straps on my over alls for me. Over alls were a lot like bib overalls, popular in the 50's for children)That is the first time I smelled the faint odor of bleach.

I seldom use clorine bleach these days, but when I do, that memory returns instantly .

Corinna
07-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Yhere is a certain Rose scented perfume (I can't rememberthe name) butit tales me back to childhood the time spent with a freind being raised by her grandparents very strict I was one of the few kids allowed o visit her. Her grandma had this perfume on always, when she died I went to see my friend and she had njust spillt some we both started to cry. I still get misty when I smell certain types of roses.

Dorothy39
07-13-2006, 07:59 AM
Yhere is a certain Rose scented perfume (I can't rememberthe name) butit tales me back to childhood the time spent with a freind being raised by her grandparents very strict I was one of the few kids allowed o visit her. Her grandma had this perfume on always, when she died I went to see my friend and she had njust spillt some we both started to cry. I still get misty when I smell certain types of roses.

Could it be Avon's "To A Wild Rose?"

Many of their older scents carry strong memories!!!!!!I wish they would re-sell some of their older scents again. They used to.

sirrahbed
07-13-2006, 08:24 AM
Maybe an idea for another post.....

I have read here that several folks remember the scent that their mother's wore - I do too! :) It was Tabu...I asked hubby and he remembers his mom's scent also - Chanel #5

For us, this memory goes back over 40 -50 years :)

That power of smell is an interesting thing!!

Dorothy39
07-13-2006, 10:10 AM
So many of the fragrances popular in the 50's and 60's conguer up sentimental memories.

My Mother sold Avon is the mid 50's. So, their purfumes of tht era always take me back to a gentle time. Here's My Heart, Topaz, Wishing, Occur, to name a few.

The purfumes that the women bought then, like Dessert Flower by Coty, and yes, Tabu!!!!! In that Black "Geni" Bottle,Wind Song, Ambush!!!!!. I was so excited when they gave me the last few drops or squirts!!! When I was given some spending money, I remember buying "Blue Walz" for just 10 cents ( yeah, try to find the cent sign on this keyboard) :eek: I found a small bottle of it a few years ago, and the smell of it brings back my childhood front and center.

Pam
07-13-2006, 10:20 AM
My Mother sold Avon is the mid 50's. So, their purfumes of tht era always take me back to a gentle time. Here's My Heart, Topaz, Wishing, Occur, to name a few.

This may be a bit off topic but my mother also sold Avon but it was back in the 60's. She was not a big fan of me wearing make-up (I was a pre-teen/teen back then :eek: ) but since she got a good deal on it (discount) that was when I was allowed to start with some simple make-up. I remember all of the scents that you mention. :) When her Avon box, with all of the orders inside, would be delivered everything would stop at my house while we opened it and took everything out. :) Now there's a precious memory. :)

Dorothy39
07-13-2006, 10:32 AM
This may be a bit off topic but my mother also sold Avon but it was back in the 60's. She was not a big fan of me wearing make-up (I was a pre-teen/teen back then :eek: ) but since she got a good deal on it (discount) that was when I was allowed to start with some simple make-up. I remember all of the scents that you mention. :) When her Avon box, with all of the orders inside, would be delivered everything would stop at my house while we opened it and took everything out. :) Now there's a precious memory. :)
I went crazy awhile back , on E-Bay- and bid on a 1956 Avon starter kit, with everything intact!!!, samples, demos, order blanks, brochures, WOW!!!

I won it too. The samples still smell the same. But the demos were so old that the contents had gone rancid. Yeah, my Mother would not allow me to wear make-up either. I would, however, get Avon lipstick at Christmas time during the 60's.

sirrahbed
07-13-2006, 12:42 PM
This Avon discussion has been fun and sentimental :)

Having the Avon Lady come visit at the house was always great fun when I was a child. This was back in the late fifties/early sixties for me :o My mom let me try a lipstick - I recall it was Pink Velvet but she thought it was too dark for me and wore it herself.

Dorothy - that sampler kit you bought on eBay sounds fun - smelling all of those samples :)

I LOVE scents and always have. Bath & Body Works is one of my favorite places to stop when we are at the mall. I don't think anything is as comforting as showering with a new bath gel and then lathering up with creamy scented lotions. My all time favorite scent is lavender and they hace a line called Lavender Vanilla that is heavenly.

I wonder what scents my grown children remember? I will have to ask them :)

ramanth
07-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Freshly cut wood (done with a power saw), reminds me of my grandpa's workshop. :)

Dorothy39
07-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Freshly cut wood (done with a power saw), reminds me of my grandpa's workshop. :)
Oh That Kia the She Devil!!! Everytime I see her picture of her I just crack up!!!

Freshly cut wood with a power saw reminds me of building our house!!!!! :eek:

The smell of bacon reminds me of my Grandma's old farm kitchen!!! I can't believe that she still used a wood stove in the early 60's!!!!! That kitchen was so different to me. Long and narrow, with a pantry, & a crock for grease ( pan drippings.!!!) I still think of her when I throw out bacon grease!!!! :eek:

Sevaede
07-13-2006, 11:33 PM
There is a certain perfume that people around here seem to really enjoy and wear A LOT. It smells like a certain incense, as well. Anyways. Both the incense and the perfume give off the same smell as my grandmother did (probably because she burned lots of incense). It's smells really pretty.

Dorothy39
07-14-2006, 11:44 AM
There is a certain perfume that people around here seem to really enjoy and wear A LOT. It smells like a certain incense, as well. Anyways. Both the incense and the perfume give off the same smell as my grandmother did (probably because she burned lots of incense). It's smells really pretty.
Could this smell be "Patchouli" ? Buy some Patchlouli Incense and see if that is the smell you can remember from your Grandmother. :rolleyes: