PDA

View Full Version : Yes!! *switching food*

dab_20
07-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Well as I've posted we are moving to Salt Lak City, UT. The good part about it is that we will be moving to a big City so my mom said we could probably switch from Iams to Nutro! Very happy about it, the dogs, I think, will be much heathier and have nicer coats on Nutro! Anyone have this food... do you think it's a good dog food? :)

bckrazy
07-09-2006, 01:25 AM
That's good news! ;) Nutro is definitely an improvement upon Iams, and I hope your pups love it. I suggest Nutro Ultra, it's the best of the formulas. You're lucky to be moving to Salt Lake City, it is sooo pretty!

Kfamr
07-09-2006, 02:52 AM
Nutro is certainly better than Iams but I will never feed it to my three again.
I've learned over the past few months of REALLY studying dog nutrition how low quality it is.

You'll be so close to Amy & Nebo!

dab_20
07-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Ok, I look into Nutro Ultra. Kay, I know it's an improvment to Iams, and it's an ok price... so I'll feed it for now. Really? I didn't know Nebo and Amy lived there! :)

LuvGold00
07-09-2006, 09:49 PM
All my Goldens are on Nutro Nat Choice Lamb & Rice and are doing really well. Nice coats, etc.

dab_20
07-09-2006, 09:52 PM
All my Goldens are on Nutro Nat Choice Lamb & Rice and are doing really well. Nice coats, etc.

Oh, really? Awhile ago I saw a picture of... I think it was Eclipse... GORGOUS fur!

wolf_Q
07-10-2006, 01:00 AM
Hey that's cool you're moving to Utah. :D I love it here, but then well I've lived here all my life. I live in the Utah County area, not too far from SLC, we should definitely meet up sometime.

There's several Petcos up that way and they sell Natural Balance which is what I feed Nebo currently. That would be a good choice as well, I've fed Nutro too and Nebo does much better on Natural Balance. Petco (Petsmart too) has a buy 10 bags get one free program.

finn's mom
07-10-2006, 08:31 AM
That's awesome news! I am in the process of switching Freckles and Dudley from Iams, too! I'm trying Pinnacle out, we'll see how it goes. Good luck with Nutro!

dab_20
07-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Hey that's cool you're moving to Utah. :D I love it here, but then well I've lived here all my life. I live in the Utah County area, not too far from SLC, we should definitely meet up sometime.

There's several Petcos up that way and they sell Natural Balance which is what I feed Nebo currently. That would be a good choice as well, I've fed Nutro too and Nebo does much better on Natural Balance. Petco (Petsmart too) has a buy 10 bags get one free program.

Yeah we should. How much money is Natural Balance compared to Iams?

Jadapit
07-10-2006, 02:21 PM
I had my fur kids on Nutro. Jada and Ebony have super shinny fur. I switched to Timberwolf dry food and raw so far they are doing great. I know lots of dogs do really well on Nutro.

bckrazy
07-10-2006, 03:20 PM
I like NB, I fed it to Fozzie for a few weeks because that's what his foster mom was feeding him. It literally costs a few dollars more per month for NB instead of Nutro, and NB is cheaper than Nutro NC Ultra. A 17.5 lb bag of Nutro NC Ultra is $25, and a 17 lb bag of Natural Balance is $20.

Note that Nutro has lots of rice! Three different "rice" sources in the top 4 most likely outweighs the amount of Lamb meal, when combined. That means this kibble has more rice than meat. It's certaintly better than Iams & similar kibbles, in that rice is much better than corn and wheat, and there is definitely more, higher quality meat in Nutro. Natural Balance has 3 meat sources in the top 4! Which is ideal. Much lower starches & grains. NB also has much more calories, so you will be feeding less and therefore SAVING a lot of money! NB has over 100 more calories per cup.

Nutro NC Ingredients for Lam & Rice Adult: Lamb meal, ground rice, rice flour, rice bran, sunflower oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of natural vitamin E), poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of natural vitamin E), natural flavors, rice gluten, dried egg product, dried beet pulp, potassium chloride, l-lysine, dried kelp (source of iodine), salt, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, vitamin E supplement, taurine, ferrous sulfate, ascorbic acid (source of vitamin C), biotin, copper proteinate, niacin, manganous oxide, calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin supplement (source of vitamin B2), vitamin a supplement, glucosamine hydrochloride, chondroitin sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), thiamine mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), vitamin D3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, folic acid

Guaranteed Analysis
Protein: 21%
Fat: 12%
Fiber: 5%
Moisture: 10%

Calories
340 Kcal/cup

Natural Balance Ultra Premium Dry Dog Food: Chicken, brown rice, duck, lamb meal, oatmeal, pearled barley, potatoes, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols-a source of vitamin E, citric acid, and rosemary extract), natural flavor, tomato pomace, canola oil, brewers yeast, lecithin, choline chloride, carrots, potassium chloride, whole ground flaxseed, dried kelp, salt, parsley flakes, calcium carbonate, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplements, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), taurine, yucca schidigera extract, l-lysine, manganese sulfate, niacin, riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), copper proteinate, copper sulfate, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, inositol, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), thiamin mononitrate (vitamin B1), d-activated animal sterol (source of vitamin D3), biotin, ethylene diamine dihydriodide (source of iodine), cobalt sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfate complex (source of vitamin K activity), sodium selenite

Guaranteed Analysis
Protein: 23%
Fat: 13%
Fiber: 3%
Moisture: 10%

Calories
485 Kcal/cup

dab_20
07-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Thanks very much for the info bckrazy. My mom says Natural Balance is a good deal. So you think it's better then Nutro? (and it IS at petco or petsmart, right?)

EDIT: Will a better quality food help with Sam's dandruff? His ears are always itchy, too.

bckrazy
07-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Natural Balance definitely is a better deal, and you should see much better results on it, too! NB even has a raw line, if you ever want to supplement ;) If you look at the ingredients in NB, just count the meat proteins compared to Nutro. Much more quality meat content, which is always better. Nutro has just one meat protein, and more rice in it than lamb meal.

The oils & flaxseed in NB will definitely help with dry skin. You can add a spoonful of fish oil to his food, which will also help a lot.

dab_20
07-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks bckrazy. In another thread you said Natural Balance can help dogs gain weight... Sam is a cocker so I always have to watch his weight because they gain weight extremely easy. It won't make him put on pounds will it? Molli doesn't gain weight easily so it should be fine for her. Thanks again for answering my questions!

bckrazy
07-12-2006, 09:36 PM
No. I said that because NB does definitely have more calories than low quality kibbles, more fats & more protein. It "sticks" to a dog much more and a dog uses a lot more of those calories from meat than it would from a kibble that is based on useless fillers. Just be sure you adjust his kibble appropriately - if he seems to be filling out, just reduce the amount you feed a bit. It's not totally loaded with calories, but it does have more calories & quality than a poor quality food.

dab_20
07-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Ok, thanks. :)

Roxyluvsme13
07-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Yay! You get to switch food :D. Too bad you can't go Raw, though.

dab_20
07-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Yay! You get to switch food :D. Too bad you can't go Raw, though.

Yah, that probably won't happen until I get my own house and dogs.