PDA

View Full Version : Nipping

sophie
10-05-2000, 11:24 AM
I have a 5 month old Catahoula Leopard/Aussie Shepard mix puppy. Just recently when we go for walks, at some point during the walk she will jump up suddenly and nip my arm - sometimes she breaks my skin with her puppy teeth - ouch.

I'm not certain what she is trying to tell me - because when she does it - she's not trying to pull away or anything like that. Help!!

teena
10-05-2000, 11:40 AM
Sophie:

My aussie does that. She tries to nip at my elbows to steer me where she wants me to go. It is normal herding behavior for these kind of dogs. You just have to keep telling her "no" and push her down when she does it. Until she learns that you are the boss and not one of the sheep, it will continue to happen. Good luck!!!!!

1_girl_and_her_dog
10-29-2000, 07:25 AM
my dog did this, i know this sounds harsh but get a fabric muzzel and every time it nipps put it on, the dog will learn that every time it nipps it gets punished its a long prosses but the dog will realise that nipping is getting it know where.

carrie
10-29-2000, 12:03 PM
Hi,
I have been giving this some thought and if you don't mind looking a bit of an idiot, now you've got a puppy you will get used to it, here is my suggestion!
It is a natural way for your pup to show enthusiasm and excitement BUT in a pet situation you have to make it clear that it is not tolerable and you don't share her enjoyment of the habit. As soon as she jumps up to nip, and with alittle practice you will be able to avoid the nip, say, "Ow!". This has to be fairly loud. As you say this and before she has time to even land properly turn around and walk swiftly for ten paces. Stop, giving her no eye contact and no attention. Wait for ten seconds and then call her name to get her attention and carry on with your walk. If she walks properly for fifteen paces say her name very calmly and then, "Good girl." As soon as she jumps up to nip repeat. If you choose this method remember you have to follow the same pattern every time she jumps so she will learn that a negative reaction is the only thing that nipping achieves. Hope this helps.

sophie
10-30-2000, 11:23 AM
Thanks Carrie - I will give it a try tonight when we go for our walk. It would be nice to go for a walk without getting nipped at suddenly. I will let you know if it works.

------------------

carrie
10-30-2000, 12:04 PM
Sophie,
Good luck tonight! Remember that it will take a few repetitions for the dog to click on to what is happening and as she is so young enthusiasm will still probably get the better of her once or twice!! Keep us posted!

RachelJ
10-31-2000, 08:48 AM
This technique worked well with my dog, Tucker, who although a grown dog when we got him, had obviously not had any training. He was a real "mouther". The variation we used was to yelp like a dog (that had been hurt). One yelp out of me and he stops immediately.

karen israel
10-31-2000, 11:45 AM
Yep, A quick "OW! still works for me! I get the "Oops" look esp. during rough play. That big mouth closes immediately!