PDA

View Full Version : A new snapping turtle in the family?

IRescue452
07-07-2006, 09:06 PM
Well, my older sister's snapping turtle at least. She came by today to tell me that her friend was cleaning out one of the rental properties he owns and found a turtle that the family left when they moved out last week. She wanted to know what it was. It was a snapper, about 6 inches across. Apparently she tried feeding it romaine and it didn't eat. I told her it'll eat mice, fish, frogs, baby birds, but nothing that isn't moving. Cute little fellow. Insight from a certain pt snapper owner will be put to good use. Such as, do you use anything for basking? I know they don't take to sitting in the light as much as other turtle species. Will a good romp outside in the sun each day be enough?

Argranade
07-07-2006, 09:55 PM
Wow a snaping turtle they shur can bite hard I hope they dont plan of feeding it baby birds :( I would give it mice now it seems there no real diff between them but to me its a huge diff also to the life span.

buttercup132
07-07-2006, 10:26 PM
King will know what to tell ya:D

Zippy
07-08-2006, 09:04 AM
King2005 will know.He has a beautiful snapper. :)

Chilli
07-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Are you positive its really a tame turtle? Not just a wild caught one used as a pet?
If able, I think it might be best for him to be released into the wild if thats where he came from. Don't turtles learn how to fend for themselves at a young age?
Anyway, if it isn't wild, then I know King2005 can give you loads of info.
Good luck! :D

IRescue452
07-08-2006, 05:35 PM
I'm sure it was once wild caught, aren't all snappers? I don't know of any pet market for snappers, at least not in WI. I'm almost positive she'll decide to let it go, but for now she's going to try keeping it. We are able to handle it without being snapped at at all so its pretty tame.

king2005
07-08-2006, 08:27 PM
First off, DO NOT set him free!!! It'll be its death!!! If its been hand raised it will not have the proper imune system that wild snappers have, also no it wont do well feeding its self.. If it use to eating a good quality food, then it wont do well on its own as it will not get the nutrition its use to, causing it to get ill & die. Also if its tame as you say, it'll be an easy meal for a hungry animal, as it wont know how to defend its self properly (as in fast enough).. also if its use to people feeding it, it might go looking for people to get food from & people will think its wild & will think something is wrong with it & kill it. its more then likely illegal to set it free anyways. It might have some health issues & then setting it free could make other snappers or other turtles ill & kill off a huge amount of turtles!

ok for info..

Your right with the food list. Any small animal, fish & birds are good. It might be an idea to buy 1 live hopper & 1 frozen hopper. It all depends on how its been fed before. Axle will eat live & dead. Miss. Turtle will NOT eat live. If her meal blinks she'll fear it, a small crayfish was able to beat her up & shes a 20p snapper & the bug was winning!! So it really does depend oh how it was raised.

Put it in room temp water covering its shell by a couple inches. Keep the water this shallow until you know its healthy & wont drown. Snappers also can ONLY eat under water. They will choak if they try to eat out of the water.

For now, try feeding him cold chunks of hot dog & raw hamburger & raw chicken. After he feeds change its water unless you have a top of the line filter.

ONLY for now, feed him daily as much as he wants for 2 weeks. then go to every second day for a week, then every 3rd day for a week & so on until you get it down to eatting once a week. This is to help save its liver. Since it'll be eatting a good diet, if its over fed you can kill its liver. This is why most snappers in human care die at 20yrs of age. A snapper should live 50+ yrs.

Next you need to find out what sex the turtle is. get photos of his tail + private area for me.. then get photos of it on its back & then pick of its back.. then pics of its head & beak. SO I can check to see if its healthy & what species it is, as there are 3 species.

If its ill it'll be friendly. so BECAREFUL cause it could turn into a monster over night when it gets better!

For light, I just use a regular light as most snappers do not bask. But taking it outside for daily walks is GREAT!! Just set it in a sunny patch in the grass. Don't worry if he doesn't come out of his shell, cause it my not be use to the grass & its scared to death, but the sun is still good for it.. leave it in the sun for an hour.. But a snapper can survive weeks out of water, so do not fear it dying out of water for a few hours.

Do watch its claws. Those things can slice you open like a hot knife through butter!! & the infections you'll get will hurt like HELL! I perposelly didn't treat my infections, as I needed to build up a resistance to it, as Axle will be with me for so many more years.

Keep it away from anyone under 12yrs of age, as the bacteria they carry have a higher chance of harming/killing anyone under 12 & over 60 years of age. There is only 1 guy over 60 that I'll let go near & handle Axle, because he has had snappers for SO many years, he already has his immune system built up for the bacteria. I'm already immune to it to, so raw chicken is less likely to harm me.. take that bacteria!! hehe

oh almost forgot.. go buy 20 feeder goldfish & put them in it water. So if its hungry it can snack on the feeder goldfish & when you get up to feeding it once a week, he wont be over hungry when its meal is due.

Axle is 30p & he eats once every 2 weeks. Except for right now, as hes sick, so hes being fed weekly until better, then he'll go back to every 2 weeks.

If you have to get rid of the snapper, PLEASE go to turtletimes.com/forums & put up an add in there, so he can find a home.

king2005
07-08-2006, 08:28 PM
I'm sure it was once wild caught, aren't all snappers? I don't know of any pet market for snappers, at least not in WI. I'm almost positive she'll decide to let it go, but for now she's going to try keeping it. We are able to handle it without being snapped at at all so its pretty tame.

I know MANY snapper breeders, but you more then likely wont see snappers in pet stores as regular people cannot care for a turtle that'll get to 100p easly or 200p as the Alligator snapper will get to.

king2005
07-08-2006, 08:33 PM
King2005 will know.He has a beautiful snapper. :)

Looks at self.. Checks again, & again.. then asks Ralph, & he said I better not be a dude!..

I'm not a guy, I'm a chick hehe

The pics below are old.. Thats when I use to shave my head. But the turtle is Axle when he was a bit younger

king2005
07-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Wow a snaping turtle they shur can bite hard I hope they dont plan of feeding it baby birds :( I would give it mice now it seems there no real diff between them but to me its a huge diff also to the life span.

Thats not really fair to say. Remember people here may like rats or mice more then birds. Any animal is a good meal for a snapper & a variety is best, regardless how cute the soon to be dinner may be..

Zippy
07-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Looks at self.. Checks again, & again.. then asks Ralph, & he said I better not be a dude!..

I'm not a guy, I'm a chick hehe

The pics below are old.. Thats when I use to shave my head. But the turtle is Axle when he was a bit younger

I thought because of your username sorry. :o

king2005
07-08-2006, 08:55 PM
I thought because of your username sorry. :o

My lastname is King :D
My real username is Kingrattus, my last name+my old rats name.. So when I made this account to come back to PT I just used King+ the year

Argranade
07-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Thats not really fair to say. Remember people here may like rats or mice more then birds. Any animal is a good meal for a snapper & a variety is best, regardless how cute the soon to be dinner may be..

Well I shur could not handle giving an animal live food unless there bugs altho I did have a sugar glyder and gave it baby mice becuase they where dead already and NOT moving.

Are snapers from Australia?

king2005
07-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Well I shur could not handle giving an animal live food unless there bugs altho I did have a sugar glyder and gave it baby mice becuase they where dead already and NOT moving.

Are snapers from Australia?

no difference between a bug & a mouse, rat or bird. Its still breaths & feels pain.

The Common Snapping turtle is found in Canada & USA. The Alligator Snapping turtle is found in the USA & the Flordia Snapping turtle is also found in the USA.

Argranade
07-08-2006, 09:18 PM
no difference between a bug & a mouse, rat or bird. Its still breaths & feels pain.

Well for me there is a HUGE difference between the life spans and the feelings,Intelegince and even how smart they can become to a humane.

Shur they all feel pain but there is a completly HUGE!!! diff between a mouse and a bug.

IRescue452
07-09-2006, 08:46 PM
I've given her the info. Thanks a lot. I'm sure its a common, it looks just like every other snapper here. Boy I believe, but I couldn't see it well in the light.

king2005
07-09-2006, 10:23 PM
I've given her the info. Thanks a lot. I'm sure its a common, it looks just like every other snapper here. Boy I believe, but I couldn't see it well in the light.

Do you know how to check a Snapper to see what sex it is? Just hope he doesn't flash you hehehe its NOT a pretty sight ;)

IRescue452
07-10-2006, 06:47 AM
Well, I'm certainly no expert and with snappers its hard to tell because they all have long tails, but the vent opening on males is supposed to be past the edge of the carapace is it not? Either way, doesn't matter to us.