PDA

View Full Version : Christmas collectors?

Karen
07-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Okay, odd question, and way off-season. Anyone want a whole pile of Christmas cards from 1943? Most in envelopes, with stamps and postmarks, I satrted tossing the envelopes, then realized the size of the stack and gave up ...

Dorothy39
07-07-2006, 09:03 PM
You have got to be kidding? You are willing to part with a stack of Christmas Cards from 1943?
Are you sure???

I have a few that my Father saved among his War letters. If you are serious, let me know.

If you are serious, WOW :eek: , YES, I am interested, these Christmas Cards are GEMS!!!

Karen
07-07-2006, 11:02 PM
Yup, I am perfectly serious. My Great Aunt Bertha saved everything, and this bunch just happens to be all together. We bought her house, she was a dear, dear lady, but never could manage to throw anything away. The cards ARE cute, but if I saved every 'cute' thing, we'd have too much stuff to even walk in the house!

Suki Wingy
07-07-2006, 11:04 PM
Hm, I love re-reading my old cards, and I love old "artifacts" so if you're serious, then yeah! I'll take some!

Dorothy39
07-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Okay, If you are willing to part with her Cards, you can send us a few.

inee, meanee, minee, moe., :p

If you want to , let me know,

I will care for them, to show,

Neath the the candles when their's snow!!! :D

Is it safe to send my address in a private message?

Karen
07-07-2006, 11:28 PM
YEs, Dorothy39, you can send me your address in a PM, it's safe. Or if you want, you can email it to me to [email protected].

SukiWingy, do you have a preference for Christmas cards, or maybe I'll send this whole bunch to Dorothy, and another bunch of old cards to you? As I am sure to find more ...

Suki Wingy
07-07-2006, 11:42 PM
Anything is fine, just let me know. How many cards are in this bunch? I'd only have space for a few.

Karen
07-08-2006, 01:02 PM
How many would you have room for? I haven't counted the bunch I'll send to Dorothy39, but as I said, there always more in another stash.

Lady's Human
07-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Karen,

Maybe your niece and her mom can use some to make new christmas cards this year?

Karen
07-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Gee, I figured I'd get shot if I offered 'em to you guys! :eek: I'll save the next batch I come across (I've been working on the basement).

Lady's Human
07-08-2006, 01:39 PM
The BASEMENT? Let me know if you find Orc in there, I think there's a dimension rip between your basement and the L+F at thursdays. :p

Karen
07-08-2006, 01:52 PM
The BASEMENT? Let me know if you find Orc in there, I think there's a dimension rip between your basement and the L+F at thursdays. :p

You forget - the Orc wouldn't FIT in my basement - I can only work down there because I've been there enough to duck when necessary, only clocked my head once yesterday. Really, one should be under 5'5 to work comfortably, so the Orc would have to be more hunchbacked than usual!

For the folks wondering, ours in a typical old New England house. We have a small, and low-ceilinged basement, as our neighborhood is built on ledge and glacier-leavings (boulders and down to small rocks).

momoffuzzyfaces
07-08-2006, 01:59 PM
If you have any old stamps on envelopes you don't want you could throw them my way!!! I like to just keep stamps because I think they are neat. Just the stamp and postmark if there is one. Or just the stamp would do. I think the oldest one I have is from the early 60s. I put them in a scrapbook. :D

Kfamr
07-08-2006, 02:06 PM
I'd be interested in the really old ones from 1943 - I'll use them to scrapbook, stamps and all.

Karen
07-08-2006, 02:21 PM
momoffuzzyfaces, send me a PM with your address, and I'll save some of the envelopes - I've been keeping a few, but tossing most, and I'll split the pile between you and another PTer who also collects such.

Kay, I'll add you to the "next pile I find" list of recipients, okay?

cyber-sibes
07-08-2006, 03:04 PM
As unlikely as it seems, :rolleyes: if you do find anything with huskies on it, I'm collecting husky stuff.

Karen
07-08-2006, 03:14 PM
As unlikely as it seems, :rolleyes: if you do find anything with huskies on it, I'm collecting husky stuff.

I really never know what I'll find! I'll keep it in mind.

momoffuzzyfaces
07-08-2006, 04:07 PM
momoffuzzyfaces, send me a PM with your address, and I'll save some of the envelopes - I've been keeping a few, but tossing most, and I'll split the pile between you and another PTer who also collects such.

Kay, I'll add you to the "next pile I find" list of recipients, okay?

Thanks Karen! A PM is on the way!!! :D

Suki Wingy
07-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Karen, 10 sounds like a good number, I'd be afraid to do anything to them like cut them up, but if you really are overflowing then I'll take more and see if I can get over that and find a new life for them in the form of an art project.

Lady's Human
07-09-2006, 08:52 AM
Having been in that basement, it's almost certain that Karen has enough cards to satisy everyone.

Of course there are many other things down there, including a drawer of broken hammers ( a whole drawer) and a drawer of new handles that never quite got around to being put on the hammers, etc.

To say that they saved everything would be an understatement.

smokey the elder
07-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Wow! Talk about uber-packrats!

Lady'sOtherHuman
07-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Gee, I figured I'd get shot if I offered 'em to you guys! :eek: I'll save the next batch I come across (I've been working on the basement).

Asolutely Karen, if you happen to find some more of those cards please send them our way! We'll recycle them into new cards!

momoffuzzyfaces
07-27-2006, 12:43 PM
My mail just came and my stamps arrived.

I love them!!! There was a 1 and a half cent stamp. I never knew they ever made those.

There was a card that really touches me for some reason. It's a "Private Mailing Card". Like a postcard of today. Someone named Mary was inviting Bertha to lunch. It just makes me smile to think of two friends from so long ago getting together. The stamp is of of the Statue of Liberty. It's a 1 cent stamp and says "For Defense". The cancelation stamp says "Buy War Savings Bonds and Stamps". The date was Nov 16, 1943.

I'm saving that entire card in my scrapbook. I started loving old things like that when I started doing my family tree research. Just think, that card touches someone 60 years after it was written.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, KAREN!!

By the way, if you have any old picture postcards, I'd love some of them.
:D

Dorothy39
07-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Okay, I'm camping out by my mail box after reading your post!!!

I can't wait to see the beautiful Christmas Cards from the 40's!!!! I have just a few that my Father saved, among his letters to home!!!! I have to use latex gloves while handling his "precious" hand written letters.

:(

I am so excited over the "chance" to hold onto this History!!!! This Christmas will hold an added blessing !!!!