PDA

View Full Version : i hate waitressing!

lute
07-06-2006, 03:06 PM
today was my second day at my new job as a waitress at Denny's. it sucks and as terrible as it sounds i hope i don't stay there long. my first table was 7 guys. they left me a penny tip! ONE CENT! :mad: i also spilled a large sweet tea on a lady's lap. :o she was very nice about it though.

pointless thread.

Zippy
07-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Sorry you hate it.Those guys were jerks to leave you a cent tip.some people. :mad:

JenBKR
07-06-2006, 03:20 PM
((((hugs)))) sorry it isn't going well for you. I could never be a waitress, I don't know how you guys do it. I think I'd mess up everyone's orders. And a penny tip? Wow that's sad, I can't believe they did that. I hope it gets better for you!

Sevaede
07-06-2006, 03:22 PM
What JERKS! They were probably college age or somewhere around there right? Sounds like they did it just to make you mad.

Glad that lady was so understanding! :)

I am sorry your day and job aren't going so well for you. :(

finn's mom
07-06-2006, 03:24 PM
Those guys were rude to do that. I'm sorry that happened to you. I know I wouldn't want to waitress, either, it's not for everyone. I admire you for trying it, and, I would just do the best you can while you're there. But, I'll admire you just as much if and when you realize it's not where you want to be. ;)

One thing I've learned in the past month...you will never be able to control what other people do or say. But, you can control how you react to it. You just stay strong and positive, don't let people having bad days/weeks/months/years/lives ruin yours. Keep your chin up!

lute
07-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Wenisrubber, actually the guys were all in their 30's-40's.

finn's mom, thanks. i imagin i won't stay there long. i just got an offer to get my old job back.

moosmom
07-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Lute,

I was just talking about some of the customers that come into Bed, Bath & Beyond. It seems SOME people, no matter how nice you are to them, or how much you go out of your way to help them, they're never happy. What's really tough is that you still have to be nice to them and smile because it's your job and the "customer is always right".

Those guys were real jerks. :mad: I don't blame you for being frustrated. The ultimate insult to a waitress is to leave a penny rather than no tip at all.

I'm glad you're getting your old job back. Waitressing is a tough job, very stressful and physically demanding. I don't think I could do it.

Good luck!!

slleipnir
07-06-2006, 06:21 PM
You will have people like that with waitressing. People who are rude or mean. People who don't tip (even if the service was really good!) however, you will also have really sweet people. If you've only been there a couple days, maybe you haven't seen them yet. I'm a bartender/waitress and a lot of the time I say I hate it. But I have regulars who come in and I get to chat with them and it's a lot of fun :)

cali
07-06-2006, 08:07 PM
I work in retail so I know some custamers are rather crabby, I know I had one custamer phone me just to yell at me, I told her I was sorry a million times and that I would fix the mistake the next time she came in, but she just kept yelling, as I sat there laughing to myself and rolling my eyes lol I have a trick. ALWAYS stay positive! I make a point of laughing at obnoxious custamers(well not to their face lol) and I always keep a smile on my face and a light, uppity tone of voice. today I had one of our ragular custamers (who hates me lol once I heard him say "I dont want her to help me, she's horrable here") well my friend and a newer employee was helping him and she messed up, I cam over fixed it up and he pretended to be happy, then he came back and showed it to my boss(who he likes) complaining that we screwed up and charged him too much, he looked pissed when she looked it over and told him there was nothing wrong lol. and my god lottery people are insane! they all want something specific, but they all have completly differnt names for what they want, I had one person ask for a combo play, so I gave him a combo play, and he got pissed off because what he wanted was a quick pick! like dude, there is a combo play AND a quick pick, if you want a quick pick then dont ask for a combo play! then coarse most people say they want a a 3 doller quick pick. then I have people who will ask for a "2 dollar ticket" wait till its printed and handed to them before adding "and an extra" then they yell at you for only giving them a 2 dollar ticket lol oh and cant forget the lady who won the free plays and said "ok I will get them at a later date" uuuuhhhh you have to get them now or not at all because of the way it appears on the machine, she did not beleive me then started asking all the "higher up" people, who proceeded to tell her the same thing lol

hehe cant possably forget the stupid custamers! I cannot count the number of people who have seen a line in front of the till so they handed their stuff to me, after all I was standing behind a completly empty counter with no till in sight lol then they look at me peeved when I take their stuff and stand in line behind the person at the till :p well what did they expect me to do? ring it into the air?

Sevaede
07-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Wenisrubber, actually the guys were all in their 30's-40's.

finn's mom, thanks. i imagin i won't stay there long. i just got an offer to get my old job back.

Wow. You'd think they mature with age!

In any case, I'm still sorry you had to deal with immature jerks anyways. :(

EDIT: This actually got me to thinking of when I worked at Subway. A guy and his wife/girlfriend/lady friend/whatever came in. He ordered a particular sandwich (it went by a name, I forgot what it was). When I started to make The Sandwich of Giant Ordeals, he threw a hissy fit because, apparently, I wasn't making it right. One, guy, I have had to read and re read the lists they give us that have the formulas for these sandwiches on them; I know what goes on it. Two, I have a shortened version right in front of my face that I double check anyways! I just let somebody else deal with him.

Also, people used to get mad at me for the amount of toppings that I put on their sandwiches. Subway has formulas for their sandwiches. For every six inch sub, you can have two pieces of cheese, three pieces of meat, three pieces of each vegetable, and two lines of any or all sauces, salt and pepper to preference. Everything is checked with you before continuing. More of anything costs extra. They didn't understand that I would get in trouble if I put more on there.