PDA

View Full Version : Insecure pup

Ollie2005
07-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Help! My 1yr old mix Terrier is extremely insecure when I leave him at home alone! He is howling now which he had never done before and I don't know what else to do! When I do get home, he acts as if he hadn't seen me in years! Is this normal? :confused:

Lady's Human
07-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Does he have a crate or someplace to use as a cave while you're gone?

When we first had Lady she was a terror when left alone. We closed her in the kitchen (which became her "cave" ) and she was fine.

Ollie2005
07-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Does he have a crate or someplace to use as a cave while you're gone?

When we first had Lady she was a terror when left alone. We closed her in the kitchen (which became her "cave" ) and she was fine.

Nope, I figured he would go crazy in there being that I didn't do that in the first place when I initially got him. He does fine alone in the house and doesn't destroy anything, but it worries me that he is so terrified at being left alone

Pawsitive Thinking
07-07-2006, 06:59 AM
You have to try to get him to learn that you going out is a fun thing for him and nothing to worry about.

When we left Tobey (before we got Archie) we set him little challenges like hiding treats inside toys etc so it turned into a game. Also saying the same thing every time "be a good boy, I'll be back soon" got him used to a routine.

He soon learnt that when I picked up my bag he was going to have some fun and stood by his toy box waiting to see what I was going to give him to play with. I still do it with both of them - leave happy dogs rummaging for yummy treats

Both dogs greet us like we've been aways for years even if we have only been outside to put rubbish in the bin - so yours is perfectly normal but a bit lonely without you

Karen
07-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Nope, I figured he would go crazy in there being that I didn't do that in the first place when I initially got him. He does fine alone in the house and doesn't destroy anything, but it worries me that he is so terrified at being left alone

You can crate-train him now - what this does is give him not a "penatly box" as you might think of it, but a "secure cave," where he has a nesting place. If he's got a stuffed toy, or something to chew on in there, it will help keep him occupied while he settles down.

What you can also do is NOT fuss over him when you get home, as this will just reinforce his anxious behavior. As hard as this will be, ignore him for several minutes when you get home, as if it's no big deal. Then, five minutes later, or once he's calm, you can initiate play time if you'd like.