PDA

View Full Version : Dalmatians

Heather Wallace
05-17-2002, 04:57 AM
I am looking after 2 dalmatians for 3 weeks as I am a pet sitter.

Could anyone tell me what they are like, for example characters etc, do they get on well with cats.

Do you have a dalmatian, tell us about it.

Cincy'sMom
05-17-2002, 03:53 PM
As with all breeds of dogs, dals can differ in personality. In general, they are active, and like to run. They can be too playful for young chilren and don't always understand how much bigger they are. in contrast, our Sadie's mom was a dal and she was great with her owners two small children. They don't bark a lot, only when neccesary.

I have no idea how they do with cats, probably depends on the dogs themselves.

Here is some more info from the akc site:

Understanding the Dalmatian's heritage will help you to comprehend his present day skills and needs. His ability to run and coach with horses indicates that he should have daily physical exercise to maintain his health and happiness. If you like to jog, this is a wonderful dog for you.

Dalmatians are intelligent and have a strong desire to please their owners. With owners who provide positive reinforcement and set consistent limits for appropriate behavior, the Dalmatian quickly learns to be an excellent canine citizen. As with any dog, training classes are highly recommended for Dalmatians; they are also invaluable for helping the owner learn how to train their new dog. The Dal's exuberant attitude and inherent intelligence will make him fun to train for the family.

The breed's intelligence surfaces in many ways. Dals love interaction with humans, frequently displaying their affection for one and all. Generally not a one-man dog, they are sensitive to the moods of all family members and respond accordingly. Dals are fun-loving and will demonstrate their sense of humor in a variety of ingenious ways.

The guarding instinct developed in the coaching dog of yesteryear is still part of the Dal's character today. He will issue warning barks when his territory is invaded or he feels his family's safety is being threatened. Obedience training will help make him an excellent watchdog and family companion.

Caring for the Dalmatian is relatively simple. He is odor-free and with his short coat, bathing is necessary only occasionally. Because of his short coat, he should be housed indoors, not exposed to extremes of temperature.

Children and dogs are a natural, and children and Dalmatians can be an exceptionally good combination. Dalmatians thrive on the activity associated with children in a normal, busy household. Mutual respect is the key as it is with any breed of dog; both the dog and the child have to learn appropriate behavior.

If you get a chance, I'd love to se some pics! Dals are one of my fav breeds!

Heather Wallace
05-18-2002, 07:15 AM
Thanks for all of the information you provided for me, it was rally great.

The dalmatians are here, they are lovely dogs. I also had a last minute call from someone asking me to take care of her 8 month old king charles spaniel which I jumped at as rhey are my favorite breed of dog. She is called Lucy and she is adorable.

delidog
05-19-2002, 09:34 PM
what...more spotty dogs?!?!?!?!?!?
are you able to show us some pics??? what are their names?????
love 'em spots!!!!!!!

delidog
05-22-2002, 07:36 AM
:)

puppylove11
05-22-2002, 07:52 PM
I dont know anything, but heres a cartoon

Goochina & Goochissimo
05-23-2002, 12:00 PM
I have 2 dalmatians. Dalmatians love exercise and play, although my older one is a bit lazy.

They are very good with everyone so far, people, children, other dogs, other cats, etc. They do have an extreme interest in bunnies, so beware. I'm not sure what they'd do if they got a hold of one. :eek:

Dalmatians are very smart, but not always cooperative. They aren't overly eager to please you with tricks and commands, even when they know them.

Most of all, my dogs just love affection!!! They get tremendous separation anxiety when left alone. :(

Odie is in my avatar, so I'll attach a small pic of Scout.