PDA

View Full Version : Please keep Zsa-Zsa in your thoughts !UPDATED - VERY BAD NEWS

Miss Z
07-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Zsa-Zsa's eyes have started weeping really badly and she can barely open them. My mum took her to the vet today and it turns out that she has ulcerated boths of her eyes and they are very sore for her, and it's potentially dangerous. We have some drops for her, but the vet said that they're unlikely to help her recover, and the only other option is for her to have an operation to remove both eyes. My mum said we would never put her through an operation that stressful, in her old age she would be likely to die under the anaesthetic anyway and the vet said they would be reluctant to perform such an operation on a cat as elderly as Zsa-Zsa. She would have to be put down. She really needs some PT thoughts and prayers right now, she's a strong cat but I am so worried, around this time last year I lost Zsa-Zsa's brother, and I couldn't go through it again.

Please, please, Zsa-Zsa, just get through this :(

Laura's Babies
07-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Special thoughts and prayers for the elder Zsa Zsa that the medicine do the trick and make those eyes well. Get better soon baby!

LittleOrangeKitten
07-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Oh honey, I am hoping and praying your sweet baby recovers and her eyes get better. Naranj and P. K. are saying kitty prayers for her. Keep us posted.

moosmom
07-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Oh Zara,

I'm so sorry to hear about Zsa Zsa. How old is she?? I hope the drops help her. I'm sending thoughts and prayers for Zsa Zsa's getting well.

(((((HUGS))))) to you honey!

Donna

momcat
07-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Prayers are being prayed for you and your sweet Zsa Zsa. I hope very much that the drops work and she'll be fine in no time. Groucho sends kitty prayers for her recovery and kitty hugs to you. Please let us know how Zsa Zsa is doing?

catmandu
07-06-2006, 01:51 PM
We
are Praying hard for your Poor Zsa Zsa, and we pray that you may have many many more Years with your beloved Senior Friend.

Donnaj4962
07-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Many prayers and warm thoughts are coming to you from Indiana. I hope the drops work for Zsa-Zsa. Please keep us posted!

Miss Z
07-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Zsa-Zsa is sixteen years old, basically surgery is not an option for her at that age unfortunately:(

She's had a big painkiller because the veins at the back of the retina are inflamed and are causing her a lot of discomfort, but she's being very brave. She is very sleepy and doesn't really want to stray too far from the basket, although she still eats with gusto if you bring the food bowl to her. She still purrs really loud when you stroke her, she is such a sweetie.

She starts on tablets aswell tomorrow, which I know she won't like.

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

orangemm
07-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Yes, I will pray for Zsa-Zsa, poor girl. Isn't it amazing how they will still purr even when in pain? Sweet girl, please get better soon.

(scritches)

Killearn Kitties
07-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Aww sweetie, all my positive vibes coming to you and Zsa-Zsa tonight. Give that beautiful girl a hug from me and tell her to get well. OK? :)

Zippy
07-06-2006, 05:30 PM
((((HUGS))))I will keep Zsa-Zsa in my prayers.Hope the drops work.Zippy and Pumpkin send get well Meows to Zsa-Zsa.

Catty1
07-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Hugs and prayers for Zsa Zsa...I hope the drops and pills help. And she can be comfortable.

Give her some pats for me!

Catty1

Sevaede
07-06-2006, 07:22 PM
*hugs* Good thoughts, vibes, and hopes that Zsa Zsa will recover! :(

Catty1
07-06-2006, 10:23 PM
I wonder about warm salt water (not TOO salty) in a wrung out cloth...she might find the warmth soothing, and salt is a good antiseptic. Maybe contact lens saline (saline ONLY) solution gently nuked would be a good rinse.

See what your vet says.

Catty1

jazzcat
07-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Prayers and positive thoughts for Zsa-Zsa.

Aquamarine
07-06-2006, 10:45 PM
*hugs* I'm so sorry...I'll be keeping Zsa Zsa in my thoughts and prayers.

Barbara
07-07-2006, 02:53 AM
Sending my best thoughts for you and Zsa-Zsa. I hope you can find something so that she doesn't have to be in pain. Maybe a second opinion?

Miss Z
07-07-2006, 03:10 AM
Thanks everyone.

I'm trying to do some research on the internet about ulcerated eyes in cats to see if there's anything else we can do. Thanks very much for the ideas Catty1, I will research them further although the vet said that you have to be careful what you use on ulcerated eyes and many things which would seem to make them better actually make them worse.

This morning, Zsa-Zsa is a little more perky, she's been for a stroll in the garden and is getting up to eat her food. And she's still purring away. Although, now she has opened her eyes a little more, and her left eye is really bad. It has been bleeding and the whole eye is almost black. I'm just praying that the drops will work for her, as if it continues to bleed then the pressure will cause her a lot of pain and then it would be cruel to let her suffer.

I really hope your good vibes work. ((hugs)) to you all.

Sonia59
07-07-2006, 05:53 AM
My best thoughts to you and Zsa-Zsa. (((Hugs)))

For such an important decision, I would definitely go for another vet's advice before.

Miss Z
07-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Zsa-Zsa seems to be doing a little better. Her ulcerated eye is still filled with blood, but it does not seem to have bled anymore so that's a good sign. She is fairly normal in herself, she does seem a bit more tired than usual and does not stay on her feet too long so she can have a rest, but she still eats, purrs and in need of cuddles from all of us. Thank you, from both of us to everyone who has prayed for her. She's not out of the clear yet but you have all helped so much.

Killearn Kitties
07-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Sending gentle kisses to beautiful Zsa-Zsa. I hope her eyes continue to get better. :)

krazyaboutkatz
07-09-2006, 04:37 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Zsa- Zsa.:( I'm glad that she seems to be doing better and I hope that the drops will help her. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

kb2yjx
07-09-2006, 06:57 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Zsa-Zsa!!! But it is good to know that she seems perky today. Prayers are on the way....

Miss Z
07-13-2006, 09:32 AM
I'm happy to say that Zsa-Zsa seems to be getting better. She's much more herself now and gets up a lot, and seems to have lost that phase of being breathless and tired. Also, her eye still has a lot of blood in it, but it seems to be draining away and about a quarter of her eye is back to normal colour. She's not out of the clear yet entirely, but she's on the road to recovery. Thanks everyone so much for the prayers, they seem to have worked!:D

moosmom
07-13-2006, 09:50 AM
Oh Zara,

I'm SOOOO glad that Zsa Zsa seems to be perking up a little. That's what PT Prayers are all about! ;)

Great job,honey! Keep it up. :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Poor Zsa-Zsa....!
I am glad she is getting better. I would still do what Sonia suggested: ask the opinion of another vet!

Miss Z
07-18-2006, 07:26 AM
Very bad news.

I didn't want to make a post just yet, as I didn't want to seem dramatic and attention seeking, but I have to tell you all.

When I got up this morning, my mum told me Zsa-Zsa had her eyes shut again. She told me to keep an eye on her as it could be a signal that the eye is going to bleed again. My parents are both at work and my brother is still in school so I'm in the house on my own, and I went downstairs to see her. I won't lie, she looks defeated. Due to being ill, she hasn't cleaned herself much and there are terrible matts in her fur. Her eyes are glued shut and there's a horrible, thick mucus-like stuff dripping from both eyes. And she's just laying in her basket, she's not touched her food, she's used the litterbox once and had a tiny drink but nothing more. After I'd had a shower, I took her outside with me to have a sit under the parasol. She sat on my lap for a bit, then I put her down to see what she would do. She walked a few steps and practically collapsed on the spot. I don't know if she had the strength to get up again. I took her back inside and put her just outside her basket, and she took very tentative steps back in it, and she's just laid there ever since. I don't know if she's in pain, but there's no doubt she's suffering. My mum came home on her lunch break to see how she's getting on, and we both think she's worsened in a couple of hours. If we take her to the vets, we know what they'll say, and both of us now think perhaps that would be the kindest thing to do. If she's still here tomorrow, really, we have no choice. We've tried everything and hoped in everything, and she's such a beautiful girl it is cruel to let her wither away to nothing. And we are going on holiday very soon, we have to make up our mind about what to do by Sunday, as we couldn't just leave her to... die a slow death. I am crying my eyes out. Zsa-Zsa's made some miracles happen before but this time something is seriously wrong. I see no way out now and I fear the worst.

You know, the most heart-wrenching thing is she's still purring.

GreyhoundGirl
07-18-2006, 07:33 AM
:( *sob. Don't feel dramatic and attention seeking, because it's not true and we all know it. We can't tell you what to do, But can wish for what's best.

Poor Zsa-Zsa, Wishing you the best

Laura's Babies
07-18-2006, 07:42 AM
LES.... ZsaZsa, we are pulling for you baby but if it is time to end your suffering, have a happy journey and we will see you again some fine day.

(((((HUGS)))))) for ZsaZsa and her humans. Lets hope there is something the vet can do!

cavylove
07-18-2006, 08:02 AM
i am so so sorry and i hope she gets better. you never know there could be a miracle.

if you want to talk just ring me up. i'm in all day!

Logan
07-18-2006, 08:05 AM
Zsa Zsa is in my prayers, too. You and your mom seem to have a good handle on what is happening with her and I know it is hard, but I'm so glad she has two people who love her so much and don't want to see her suffer. My daughter and I had to make a rought decision last week, too, and I was glad that she understood.

Logan

Killearn Kitties
07-18-2006, 08:10 AM
Oh I'm so sorry to hear this update about Zsa-Zsa. Cats purr to comfort themselves sometimes, and it might be that this is what Zsa-Zsa is doing. All you can do this afternoon is stay close to her. I'll be thinking of you.

moosmom
07-18-2006, 09:41 AM
I'm so sorry Zara. It's very difficult to watch a beloved pet decline in health. The most unselfish act anyone can do is to is to allow them to continue to the RB in peace.

You and Zsa Zsa are in my thoughts and prayers.

((((HUGS))))

Donna

jazzcat
07-18-2006, 09:47 AM
I'm so sorry. (((HUGS)))

.sarah
07-18-2006, 09:55 AM
Zara I am so sorry to hear this :( You, your family, and of course Zsa-Zsa are all in my thoughts.

Miss Z
07-18-2006, 11:29 AM
My dad has come home and had a look at her, he thinks the same as us. It's unbearable to just look at her in the basket, her head is down now and she doesn't shuffle much like she normally does. Still not touched any food and refuses water, I got desperate and tried to handfeed her a piece of chicken but she won't eat it, she looks like she wants to but her body's telling her no. I couldn't let her go on like this.

I know the thought is horrible, but I was talking with my mum, and we said that if there was no or very little improvement, it would be so much kinder to her and to us to have her put to sleep before we go away rather than to keep her like this for a few days and hope things would sort themselves out, in her state it would be impossible to leave her. We arranged for a neighbour to feed her, but this neighbour doesn't like cats and if Zsa-Zsa was put on medication this lady would not be able to give it to her. Plus, our holiday would just be filled with worry about her.

Thankyou to everyone who's followed Zsa-Zsa's story and has offered prayers and thoughts, at this time it is comforting to know you have people who understand.

Donnaj4962
07-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Oh my Zara... LES here in Indiana for your Zsa-Zsa. I am so sorry that you and your family are having to make this decision. But it does seem to be the most humane thing to do for your furbaby. (((hugs))) and prayers for comfort.

CultureJunky
07-18-2006, 11:43 AM
My thoughts are with you and your family at this sad time. Whatever is best for Zsa-Zsa is the right thing to do. She will always be with you and in your heard not matter what. I hope her passing is as easy as possible.
You will feel heartbroken but you have to be comforted by Zsa-Zsa looking down on you from Rainbow Bridge.
She will be yours forever....
Hugs and prayers
Kate, Jack & Sunny

Catty1
Give that dear girl some loving pats from me!

How old is Zsa-Zsa?

I would hope she rallies again, but her body seems to be tired.

HUGS to her and to all of you.

Catty1

krazyaboutkatz
I'm so sorry to hear this latest news.:( You're doing the right thing. (((HUGS)))

Karen
07-18-2006, 12:02 PM
Poor Zsa-Zsa, and poor you, but it does sound like the very hard decision for you might be the right one for her.

For those who weren't members then, here's Zsa-Zsa

http://catoftheday.com/archive/2005/September/24.jpg (http://catoftheday.com/archive/2005/September/24.html)

wehn she was Cat of the Day ([URL=http://catoftheday.com/archive/2005/September/24.html).

elizabethann
07-18-2006, 12:27 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Zsa Zsa. She will be in my thoughts.

Miss Z
07-18-2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks Karen for posting that. It made me smile to read it again. I had that page stuck up on my wall but I took it down for a while and now can't seem to find it.

Laura's Babies
07-18-2006, 01:43 PM
She is a very lovely tabby girl, thanks for posting that picture Karen. Not only is she lovely, she was COTD.... that is so special!

k9krazee
07-18-2006, 02:08 PM
:( Oh, no. I'm so sorry :( (((((Hugs)))) to you and the gorgeous Zsa Zsa.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-18-2006, 02:57 PM
it would be so much kinder to her and to us to have her put to sleep before we go away rather than to keep her like this for a few days and hope things would sort themselves out,
I have to agree with this. If she's not eating, things are not going to "sort themselves out" and she would just suffer while you were gone. Like you say, as bad as the idea of having her PTS is, it would be the kindest thing to do for her right now, especially if the person you arranged to care for her won't do more than feed her.

I'm so sorry it's come to this, but it sounds to me like Zsa Zsa is letting you know it's time. :(

catmandu
07-18-2006, 03:03 PM
We are so sorry to hear the sad news about Zsa Zsa.
Its the one duty that we have to do for our companions, and I dread having to make that decision for my Older Cats.
We are praying for Zsa Zsa, and you.

orangemm
07-18-2006, 03:08 PM
I'm late to this (as usual), but please know that you and Zsa-Zsa are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so sorry your sweet girl is fading.

Even though it is the hardest thing you will ever do, it probably is the kindest and most loving gesture you can make for Zsa-Zsa.

(hugs) to both of you........... :(

kb2yjx
07-18-2006, 03:17 PM
It is not an easy decision that you must make. The last thing in the world did I want to do was to put our dear Ralph Syracuse to sleep in June. Sometimes the cat will take that decision out of our hands, but most of the times, we have to decide. It is so sad to watch a beloved friend decline or suffer. You will do the right thing for Zsa-Zsa. Will say extra prayers for you both!!! TAke Care!!!

carole
07-18-2006, 03:43 PM
I am sorry to hear how Zsa Zsa condition if not improving, i had hoped it would, may you be at peace with whatever decision you make, and know that it will be the right one for her, take care and Hugs at a very difficult time for you.

Catsnclay
07-18-2006, 04:01 PM
OMG....I am so sorry that I am very late in posting too!

This must be a terrible decision for you and your family. My thoughts go out to you at this time.

All our fingers and paws are crossed for you & Zsa-Zsa.

WOW.....COTD! we have another movie star on our hands! :D :cool:

AbbyMom
07-18-2006, 09:06 PM
Prayers for you and Zsa-Zsa on the way.

ShylanHal
07-19-2006, 04:03 AM
This is so sad. I don't know what I'd do if I had to choose to put my cat down!
I mean, obviously it would be for the best if I did, but to actually choose to kill your cat would be horrible. I suppose I would have to, in the end, but it would hurt every step of the way, i'm sure.
I have a pretty big imagination, but even with it I dont' think I could get a whiff of what you're feeling unless it actually happened to me. Which I am glad it hasn't, but I suppose that if you are a person with pets in your life that you will inevitably have to go through with the death of a beloved family member.

I'll be praying for you and Zsa-Zsa with all my heart, and I truly do hope that things work out for the better.

catfamily
07-19-2006, 04:39 AM
Prayers for poor Zsa-Zsa.She must be in so much pain with ulcerated eyes.It's so hard to see our babies get old.

Miss Z
07-19-2006, 08:46 AM
I think today is time.

There is no improvement with Zsa-Zsa's condition. She had a little drink, but hardly anything, she gulps funny and I think she's dehydrated. I have her in this room now sleeping next to me, and it breaks my heart to watch her sleeping. I think her eye is hurting her now as she doesn't want you to pet her head and she sleeps with her head turned across her back as if she doesn't want weight on that side.

She cannot live like this.

Bengalz
07-19-2006, 08:55 AM
Gentle hugs and prayers for Zsa-Zsa. I am so sorry for you and your family. This is always such a difficult time.

Take care,
Betty

Logan
07-19-2006, 08:57 AM
I'm so sorry things have not gotten better. :(

You are all in my prayers.

Logan

Chilli
07-19-2006, 09:30 AM
Oh Zara, I can't believe I hadn't noticed this thread until now. :(
My stomach feels almost sick at the thought of not seeing that beautiful girl around here anymore...
Good thoughts for you and Zsa-Zsa, I know you will do only the very best for her.

cloverfdx
07-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Oh Zara i am so sorry {{Hugs}}. Zsa-Zsa and your family will be in my thoughts.

RedHedd
07-19-2006, 12:17 PM
{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}} and prayers. It's hard-decision-making time. Whatever you do, may it be for the highest good of all. Poor ZsaZsa; sounds like she's getting ready so say goodbye :( So sad and so hard. Gentle hugs and kisses all around.

Miss Z
07-19-2006, 01:43 PM
She's gone.

Me and my dad took her to the vets, we went to the vet we like and she examined her. She said we could try the drops again, but the chance of success now would be about 1 in 100. She thought blood vessells may have burst in her cheek causing it to be painful and the blood was once more filling up in her eye. On top of that, it was proably old age setting in and telling her it was time to go.

I stayed with her whilst the needle went in and she went almost instantly, she must have had nothing left. It was very peaceful.

I am extremely upset, but it was the best thing. I will make a memorial thread son, I just don't feel up to it right now.

Killearn Kitties
07-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Aww sweetie, I've been thinking about you and Zsa-Zsa all day. You did absolutely the best thing for your poor old girl. I'm so, so sorry. How hard it must be to lose a furry friend you have had your whole life. Hugs to you. My thoughts are with you.

Rest peacefully Zsa-Zsa.

Maresche
07-19-2006, 01:52 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about your sweet Zsa-Zsa. This has been a very hard time for you and your family, but you have done well by her.

RIP Zsa-Zsa and gentle hugs to your family.

Prairie Purrs
07-19-2006, 02:24 PM
I'm so sorry. It hurts so much when they leave us, even when we know that there's no other choice.

Rest gently, Zsa-Zsa. There's no such thing as pain at the RB.

Logan
07-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Oh dear, I'm so glad you were with her as she passed. Many cannot do that, but I know that every experience I have had, that way, was so peaceful and helped me get through it.

Rest in peace, dear Zsa Zsa and Godspeed. My Mimi is surely there, looking for you.

Logan, Butter, Honey, Lilly, and Mack

RedHedd
07-19-2006, 02:41 PM
:( RIP sweet Zsa-Zsa. Play hard at the bridge. You had a good long life on this side of it. LES here :(

catfamily
07-19-2006, 02:46 PM
I am so very sorry for the loss of your dear sweet Zsa-Zsa :(

midget gem
07-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Get well soon Zsa Zsa, I will be thinking of you.
Big (((HUGS))) from me, you're such a lovely cat.

orangemm
07-19-2006, 03:14 PM
Hugs to you. I know you are hurting, but remember now Zsa-Zsa has no pain and is happily frolicking at the RB. She knows you loved her dearly and that you did the right thing.

I'm sorry for all the pain you and she went through....... :(

Miss Z
07-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Thankyou everyone.

Please see Zsa-Zsa's memorial thread (http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=109256)

It's the end of an era, but one I'll treasure forever.