PDA

View Full Version : Evo Rm

wolfsoul
07-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Innova has a new product called "Innova EVO RM (red Meat)," for those who want to feed their dog a red meat formula. :)

Ingredients:

Beef
Beef Meal
Lamb Meal
Potatoes
Egg
Sunflower Oil
Buffalo
Lamb
Venison
Beef Cartilage
Natural Flavors
Herring Oil
Apples
Carrots
Garlic
Tomatoes
Vitamins/Minerals
Cottage Cheese
Dried Chicory Root
Ascorbic Acid
Lecithin
Rosemary Extract

lute
07-05-2006, 10:30 PM
wow! that's awesme! i think i'm gonna look into that. do you know how much it costs?

wolfsoul
07-05-2006, 10:37 PM
I'm not sure, but I think red meat formulas are usually cheaper?

K9soul
07-05-2006, 10:41 PM
I pay $44 for a 28.6 lb bag of the regular EVO, I would expect it to be around the same really. If my vet gets any in I may give RM a try. The regular has chicken/turkey/herring in it.

DrKym
07-05-2006, 11:04 PM
ok dumb question but I need clarification, I am assuming that they will consume less as more is being utilized? I ask because right now with my 2 we go through a 40 lb bag in about 10 days give or take. But I was really impressed with the ingredient list as it far blows ours away :eek:

cali
07-06-2006, 01:07 AM
I am assuming that they will consume less as more is being utilized?

yup, dogs cannot digest grain, so the more grains in the food the more of it you have to feed, but since EVO is a grainless kibble, you hardly have to feed anything at all.

K9soul
07-06-2006, 08:17 AM
A 28.6 lb bag lasts my two a month. They get two small meals a day. They are both middle aged and not highly active so they don't need big meals :).

elizabethann
07-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the info. Innova is one of the foods Fenway eats.

DrKym
07-06-2006, 09:52 AM
with Rusty health issues I have been trying to find a better way to feed him and I knew they had issues with grains so I will be on the lookout for this kibble. anyone know where and when it will arrive in stores? Thanks for posting this Im excited now lol

finn's mom
07-06-2006, 09:55 AM
does anyone have any idea what it recommends for a daily feeding size? For dogs around 22-27 pounds? When I was looking at food to replace what David feeds Freckles and Dudley, I was surprised that a good food (Royal Canin) actually recommended the same amount or more (I don't remember for sure) than Iams did...it's why I didn't choose to get Royal Canin. I was suprised at how much it said to feed. I think the Nutro Ultra was a smaller recommended feeding...but, i'm going today to a pet supplies store to see what kind of food they offer. :)

Giselle
07-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Finn's Mom, Naturapet advises you to feed 1-1 1/2 cups of EVO for dogs 20-30 pounds. Lucky is around 18-20 pounds and I feed him 1/2-3/4 cups of EVO depending on how much homemade diet he is receiving that day. He isn't a fan of raw so I have to homecook for him. And I do not recommend Royal Canin. It's a fancy-schmancy version of Iams or Euk, if you ask me ;)

I'm definitely going to look into EVO RM as a supplemental kibble. I never was a fan of red meat but we don't feed a lot of it so this will be a nice change.

finn's mom
07-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Finn's Mom, Naturapet advises you to feed 1-1 1/2 cups of EVO for dogs 20-30 pounds. Lucky is around 18-20 pounds and I feed him 1/2-3/4 cups of EVO depending on how much homemade diet he is receiving that day. He isn't a fan of raw so I have to homecook for him. And I do not recommend Royal Canin. It's a fancy-schmancy version of Iams or Euk, if you ask me ;)

Wow, I hadn't really heard that comparison, but, I will keep that in mind for sure. I just find it odd that a good food recommends feeding the same amount of food as Iams does. Iams had about 1 1/2 cups for 20 to 30 pounds, too. Hm. But, I will keep looking! I appreciate the response, and, I'm definitely going to look into the EVO RM! This thread has actually helped me, so thank you wolfsoul for posting it!

K9soul
07-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Royal Canin Natural Blend (now labeled Sensible Choice but same company) is what my dogs used to be on. I wouldn't consider it on the level with Iams or Eukanuba at all. I think it depends on the formula..

But I generally don't really go by the recommended amount the bag when feeding mine except to get a ballpark idea. I base it more on age, activity level, and current weight/condition.

finn's mom
07-06-2006, 03:20 PM
Royal Canin Natural Blend (now labeled Sensible Choice but same company) is what my dogs used to be on. I wouldn't consider it on the level with Iams or Eukanuba at all. I think it depends on the formula..

But I generally don't really go by the recommended amount the bag when feeding mine except to get a ballpark idea. I base it more on age, activity level, and current weight/condition.

I hear ya. I use it as a guideline for the most part, too. I actually feed Freckles on the high end and sometimes more than the recommended and Dudley gets a little less...But, I'm assuming (and you know what they say about assuming :)) that if Iams says feed 1 1/2 cups and Royal Canin says to feed 1 1/2 to 2, that even if I didn't feed exactly the recommended, I'd probably feed the same amount of Iams that I would RC, even if it was a little more or less than what was recommended. Does that make sense? I know what I'm trying to say! :rolleyes: It's a lot to consider, that's for sure!

lv4dogs
07-06-2006, 03:28 PM
Giselle & k9soul gave you, finns mom some good words on the amount to feed. I just want to add that you should keep in mind that most dog food companies (even the good ones) usually list the higher reccomended feeding amounts so they don't get sued if your dog becomes underweight. More times than not, with almost any food you will usually feed less than the reccomended amount.

finn's mom
07-06-2006, 03:33 PM
usually list the higher reccomended feeding amounts so they don't get sued if your dog becomes underweight.

Yeah, I knew about that, and, people would do it, too...what I was doing was comparing the amounts on dog food...like the brands I knew weren't as good were recommending a lot more, which I expected...and, I was just surprised to see that a brand like Royal Canin was recommending the same amount as a brand like Iams. That was my concern. ;) As opposed to some of the other better brands were recommending less than that (even though it was probably still on the higher end of what I'd actually feed Dudley).

I feel like I'm participating in a bit of a thread hijack, so, I'm going to take this to pm from now on, if I get any more replies...sorry wolfsoul! ;)

bckrazy
07-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Finn's mom, when I fed Gonzo only Evo, he got less than 1 cup a day... at 45 lbs and very active. I think most kibbles over-shoot in feeding guidelines, as they base that on a very active dog. I also think they don't want people to underfeed and see weight loss, rather than overfeed a bit. The idea is that with a brand like Iams, all of that grain is going to pass through them and end up in your yard. =) A dog's & cat's digestive tract is far too short to properly digest so much starch & grain. The less grain, the more meat content, the better the dog can absorb and use that food... so, the less you will need to feed to maintain weight.

Thanks for posting the ingredients Jordan! I might look into getting a sample of it. I already have 1 1/2 big bags of regular Evo right now, and it's being eaten very slowly because I feed Gonzo raw 95% of the time.