PDA

View Full Version : I found an egg!!

binka_nugget
07-05-2006, 09:01 PM
I found an egg in the bird cage today! :eek: I put a couple new things in their cage a few weeks ago.. one was a cardboard box (I put it on the floor of the cage to act as a little hiding corner for my shy birds). It didn't occur to me that they might use it as a breeding box! I found it when I was moving a couple things around. When I moved the box, I noticed the tiny little egg! No wonder Tonks and Luna were hissing at me everytime I went near the cage!

Right now Dad (Luna :p) is sitting on the egg. Tonks is standing guard near the box.

I wasn't planning on breeding this pair (I was actually hoping to research more and hopefully breed Ozzie to Allie one day). I sure hope it hatches though! How exciting!

(I managed to get a picture too. :p Seeing as how I had already moved the box, I thought I might as well take a pic. :p)

Logan
07-05-2006, 09:21 PM
What a familiar sight! Cockatiel, right??

binka_nugget
07-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Yep! Mum's a cinnamon and dad's a Lutino :)

Logan
07-05-2006, 09:32 PM
Hope you don't get 8 like I'm dealing with, right now! LOL!!!!! :p

lute
07-05-2006, 10:34 PM
how exciting! wha a shocker! i hope it hatches! :D

Chilli
07-05-2006, 10:48 PM
What a wonderful surprise! :D And it sounds like they're being good parents.
Congradulations on the egg^^.

Sevaede
07-06-2006, 12:19 AM
Ooooohoohoo! :D Congrats!

All this bird talk is giving me birdie fever. :P

jesse_3
07-06-2006, 12:29 AM
Wow, that would be a huge surprise! I hope it hatches!:) How exciting!!!!

Steph and the crew

Giselle
07-06-2006, 01:15 AM
Congrats!! :D (Pssst. Are you adding calcium supplements? Mom is really going to need the extra calcium. I lost my beloved hen to egg-bind but most of it was due to stress and other factors...*sigh* I miss those days...)

binka_nugget
07-06-2006, 07:15 AM
I haven't added any calcium supplements yet since this was a surprise, but I'll be picking up some today. :D

Logan
07-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Giselle, help me with a question. I am using crushed boiled eggs (with the shells) to supplement Mily's calcium. And she has a Cuttlebone. Should I be doing something else?

Logan

Giselle
07-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Fresh veggies! One thing my birds LOVED was fresh kale, brocolli, bok choy, and carrot tops. However, I didn't combine all the supplements because too much calcium is detrimental as well. What I did was rotate my supplements.

My birds have a "supplement dish" which is specifically for supplements only. During breeding season, I would make my own eggfood (bread crumbs + crushed eggs and eggshells) and mix that in with storebought eggfood and crushed pellets (Harrison and Zupreem mainly). They would pick and nibble at this stuff for a day or two until I threw it out. After they were done with this powder supplement, I would take out the supplement dish and place a bunch of fresh veggies in its place. I hung mine on skewers because I find that keets especially love climbing on them.

Logan
07-06-2006, 04:24 PM
Thank you. Mine are getting plenty of fresh vegetables, so I'm doing something right! LOL!!!

flamepony12
07-06-2006, 07:24 PM
eee, how exciting! :D it looks so teeny. I hope it hatches too, it'll be fun to watch it grow up :)

By the way, I recieved the check today in the mail. I'm just too lazy to PM you. :o hehe.

molucass
07-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Aww! I hope it hatches. :)

Roxyluvsme13
07-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Yay, an egg! I hope it hatches, too.

binka_nugget
07-06-2006, 08:36 PM
eee, how exciting! :D it looks so teeny. I hope it hatches too, it'll be fun to watch it grow up :)

By the way, I recieved the check today in the mail. I'm just too lazy to PM you. :o hehe.

WOW that was fast!!

Mum and dad seem to be doing a pretty good job. They switch regularly but when I came home today, I found the egg in the middle of the cage with no parent on top. :\ I moved it back near dad.. it hope it wasn't out there too long.

lovethatpug
07-07-2006, 01:18 AM
Congrats..on such a...well, surprise! :D It will be exciting to see if it hatches!

Logan
07-10-2006, 08:55 AM
Has she layed anymore eggs? Is she sitting on them?? Inquiring minds want to know! LOL!!!

If we're going to have babies, the first should hatch on Wednesday of this week. We'll see!

Logan

zoomer
07-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Oh how cool! Keep udating us! :D

binka_nugget
07-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Haha Logan, yep! She has layed more! There's at least three now and they're still being very good parents. I'm SO excited!

My Peanuts
07-10-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm so happy for you. I lost my dear little Milton (tiel) on Friday. Maybe one of your babies will have Milton's soul. :) I know it sounds weird, but it's comforting in some way to me that some of those eggs were laid after he died.

binka_nugget
07-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Well, it's day 19 or so now. If they are fertile, they should be hatching really soon.

I was hoping to check if they were fertile but mom and dad do NOT want to give these eggs up. I don't even know how many there are anymore because they never leave the eggs in full sight.

jesse_3
07-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Oh, this exciting! I hope that they hatch soon! That will be so exciting!:D:D

Steph and the crew

lute
07-24-2006, 09:12 PM
OH! i hope they hatch soon!