PDA

View Full Version : Need some *Expert* opinions!!!

christa
07-05-2006, 08:30 PM
We just landscaped a little bit around our little building behind our house - nothing big as you can see . . . anyway, I NEED to paint the door before it rots! :eek: Thinking of painting it red to match the doors on the house. Actually I am going to repaint the doors on the house (they need it anyway) . . . think I should paint it to match or paint it the same color that it is?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/christa_law/MVC-008S.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/christa_law/MVC-009S.jpg

I'm scared! Will red doors stick out too much???

Our house is tan brick and the red doors look great, so I don't think this would be much different . . . plus our deck is stained red . . . I thought it would all kind of match? . . . thought I'd get some *expert* opinions!

Roxyluvsme13
07-05-2006, 08:46 PM
I think red would look good :)

DrKym
07-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Red would look wonderful, and those plants will accent it beautifully in couple of growing seasons :D

catnapper
07-05-2006, 08:50 PM
Definately paint it to match -- tie everything together. I really wanted red doors, but ended up blue (don't ask how! Long story!)

Kfamr
07-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Not sure what shade of red you were thinking of - but here's something so you can sorta get the idea. I think it'd look nice if you matched it with the house.

Bengalz
07-05-2006, 09:07 PM
Kay - you're brilliant! The red door looks fantastic. I wonder if it would be possible to paint the trim around the window the same colour red - may give it some balance. Once your plants settle in and grow some, it will look great.

Laura's Babies
07-05-2006, 09:11 PM
What a neat way to see what it would look like.. I LOVE it red!!

jazzcat
07-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Definitely go with the red.

christa
07-06-2006, 07:35 AM
Thanks guys . . . you're right . . . maybe I should go with red. LOL

Kay, that is awesome . . . That's kind of the color, maybe a little darker, more of a brick red color. But that gives me an idea and I didn't even consider that the stepping stones & rock around it would tie in too. :rolleyes:

My plants will really look better next year. That bush under the window is a fast growing knockout rose bush and I think it can get about 3 foot tall and then on the end is a butterfly bush, and you all know how those get. :) It's still a baby, but eventually, it will take over I'm sure.

I might look for some little small shutters for that window . . . that would make it look better, I think. And then we're also going to get some sort of light to put at the top of the building. Looks like there was a ball goal there at one time. I think that will jazz it up a little bit.

Thanks for the advice everyone . . . I haven't asked hubby because he doesn't even think that I should paint it (even though it's starting to rot) and my parents were saying red, red, red . . . I was really torn as to what to do. I appreciate all the advice! PT wins again. I'll post more pics when it's done. :D

Sonia59
07-06-2006, 07:54 AM
My house is made of red bricks (but not a dark red) and the windows and doors are dark green. I think dark green would also suit to it also, but of course red would match with your house.

king2005
07-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Red looks good, but the window frame should be painted red aswell, to balance the building out.

Rachel
07-06-2006, 08:43 AM
The red door looks fantastic. I wonder if it would be possible to paint the trim around the window the same colour red - may give it some balance.

Well, I'm no expert, but this would be my vote. And definitely do paint it something. You don't want to let it rot.

christa
07-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Red looks good, but the window frame should be painted red aswell, to balance the building out.

I was thinking if I got the little shutters, I would paint them the same color as the door . . . that would give it some balance & make the window look better.

The trim on the window is tiny & is vinyl - not wood, so I'm afraid it would be hard to paint. I might go out to Lowes today and see what they have. :)

mruffruff
07-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Be sure to paint the bottom of the door as well. Seal it well so water can't wick between the inside and outside of the door.

I like the darker red, too.