PDA

View Full Version : Eve is Adapting to Changes in Her Life

Bengalz
07-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Prior to coming to live with us Eve spent pretty much all her time outdoors. She loves to be outside exploring and unfortunately, wandering :rolleyes:

We have been gradually encouraging her to change her ways and hope that she will eventually become an indoor kitty. It is a challenge as she is very stubborn, high energy and insistent about going outside.

Things are improving day by day and Eve is now staying in while we're away from home and knows her curfew in the evening as well. So we're making progress.

Today she showed us she is willing to work with us. For the first time she used her new litter box (previously insisted on going potty outside!) and, when my husband came home from work found Eve sleeping under a plant. Normally she would have been sleeping under a bush in our yard :p .

We have a way to go however, small steps lead to big victories ;)

Laura's Babies
07-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Slow and easy with a kitty, soon she will not want to go out into that dangerous world.............. YEA! RIGHT!! :rolleyes: I do know they can be happy inside after being a outside baby. Samantha has never expressed any interest in going out since she has been living here with me and the babies... But that was what she wanted for 2 years before it happened.

Randy_K
07-06-2006, 12:25 AM
Looks like Eve has the best of both worlds: the safety of being indoors and stlill snoozing under a plant. She'll adjust to being able to sleep in absolute safety inside which she can't do outside.

My mom's cat liked to wander when he was younger but now at five he stays in the backyard, comes in to use the litterbox - and then goes back outside. He also comes in to sleep in the afternoon, for laptime in the evening and stays in all night. Same thing in the late morning as he comes in for laptime then too. He decided by himself that he needs to stay in when no one is home.

It just takes time but Eve will figure it all out.

Bengalz
07-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Looks like Eve has the best of both worlds: the safety of being indoors and stlill snoozing under a plant. She'll adjust to being able to sleep in absolute safety inside which she can't do outside.

My mom's cat liked to wander when he was younger but now at five he stays in the backyard, comes in to use the litterbox - and then goes back outside. He also comes in to sleep in the afternoon, for laptime in the evening and stays in all night. Same thing in the late morning as he comes in for laptime then too. He decided by himself that he needs to stay in when no one is home.

It just takes time but Eve will figure it all out.

Randy,

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I am somewhat confused with this situation as my previous cats had no desire to go out. Since kittenhood, they knew inside was home. Eve had a previous life and thinks its her right to go outdoors. I fear for her safety and her health. She is such a dear little cat and I only wants what's right for her.

I appreciate your kind words, Betty.

catmandu
07-06-2006, 09:49 AM
I think that if you were to leave treats around, say Whiskas Temptations, then Little Eve would be more than pleased to send her time indoors.
Juke Joint Joseph and Kittens.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/84377d3a.jpg

Bengalz
07-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the good advice Gary. Eve does love her Temptations! Perhaps I need to increase the "dosage" ;)

Betty

jazzcat
07-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Hopefully you will be able to persuade her to the "in" side soon. ;)

Why am I hearing Darth Vader's voice in my head... "Eve, come to the inside" LOL! Sorry, I digress. :p

Bengalz
07-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Hopefully you will be able to persuade her to the "in" side soon. ;)

Why am I hearing Darth Vader's voice in my head... "Eve, come to the inside" LOL! Sorry, I digress. :p

HeeHee ... I'll try anything! Darth? Oh Darth? Where art thou? :D

catlady1945
07-08-2006, 07:58 AM
Keep at it! Our youngest kitty was indoor-outdoor. We don't let her out any more since our neighbour's beautiful cat was killed by a car.

She seems quite content to sit in front of the window sniffing the air. She's 11 now so maybe she's slowing down a bit.

Bengalz
07-08-2006, 08:55 AM
Keep at it! Our youngest kitty was indoor-outdoor. We don't let her out any more since our neighbour's beautiful cat was killed by a car.

She seems quite content to sit in front of the window sniffing the air. She's 11 now so maybe she's slowing down a bit.

Thanks Catlady,

I will persist. Eve really has such good house manners until she decides she needs a trip outside. It's bizarre -- she stomps around yowling and banging the blinds and scratching the door and gets so frustrated. Thankfully she has now adjusted to staying in all night and each day I shorten her evening curfew by a few minutes so that she comes in earlier and earlier. She is actually beating me to bed these days :D

As for slowing down, I don't see that happening with Eve anytime soon :rolleyes: she is a 7 lb bundle of energy! And we love her that way.

Betty

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Well done!! Just be careful with your plants! She might love the soil and recognize it as the same stuff from outside! We had that problem with Maya when she came to live with us. The plant she used as her litterbox died..... :rolleyes: . The solution for this is: cover the dirt with "chicken wire". Your cat won't be able to dig then!

Good luck!

Bengalz
07-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Well done!! Just be careful with your plants! She might love the soil and recognize it as the same stuff from outside! We had that problem with Maya when she came to live with us. The plant she used as her litterbox died..... :rolleyes: . The solution for this is: cover the dirt with "chicken wire". Your cat won't be able to dig then!

Good luck!

Lut,

That is an excellent point and I am worried about it. Eve has recently decided that she likes the pine based litter we use in her litter box and uses her potty like a good girl. However, caution is wise and the chicken wire idea is a good one. In my larger pots I have covered the soil somewhat with interesting rocks (I love collecting rocks on our walks and am always bringing something home in my pocket :rolleyes: ). That seems to keep her at bay with those plants.

Thanks for your concern, Betty