PDA

View Full Version : This stinks!

catnapper
07-05-2006, 07:22 PM
A full day later, and I'm still trying to compile a comprehensive list for the cops. The more detailed I am, the better my luck at getting it back. I honestly cannot remember what is missing! I never thought I had THAT much jewelry! :o

Some pieces are heirlooms that I never wore, so I can't draw an accurate picture of it. Some pieces are things I'd forgotten I bought since I haven't worn it in years (obviously, those pieces are the ones the cops will find :rolleyes: )

I've got a spilitting headache and I missed doing some design work today because I couldn't focus... I could have USED THAT MONEY!

Well, tomorrow I'll get everything together and hopefully visit a few pawn shops. they're in the city and I don't go there alone so hopefully someone will be willing to go with me! My SIL said she would.... I think you all remember me talking about her? I don't trust her as far as I could throw her, but if she's willing to spend the day hunting with me I can't turn her down.

Sigh, sorry to vent. I never expected to be robbed while I was out cleaning cat cages. I was doing a good thing, so why was bad being done to me?

PS: where is a good online jewelry site to buy a replacement wedding band? I'd prefer a diamond one like the one that was stolen... but its not necessary.

moosmom
07-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Kim,

I figured once the dust settled you'd start finding more stuff was missing. I talked to my best friend this morning about that little "wall safe" we talked about yesterday. She said it came with the condo. It was written in the contract that there was one non-functioning outlet. She and her boyfriend took off the face plate to see why it wasn't functioning and they found a little wall safe.

I tried going online to look at gadget catalogs. No luck. I'll keep looking. Good luck at the pawn shops. Let us know how you make out.

Logan
07-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Kim, I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. It is a good reminder, though, that we need to take pictures of the interior of our homes and our valuables, so that we have them in case of a situation like this! Just recently, I had my few valuable pieces of jewelry appraised and added a rider to my homeowner's policy so that they would be covered in case of loss or theft.

good luck to you!

Logan

catnapper
07-05-2006, 07:39 PM
I definately have photos of my house... its my jewelry thats not photographed. I definately WILL be photgraphing the items that are left (once I get my camera back). Then calling insurance about two or three of the pieces. Not that they are hugely valuable, but they are the best that I have.

Edwina's Secretary
07-05-2006, 07:40 PM
My apartment was buglarized many years ago and the only thing taken was jewelry. The police suspected my landlord...to whom I had just given notice (and who I had been refusing to date for about a year.)

It was probably stolen while I slept...in the same room. Rather scary.

It was covered by insurance but as Logan suggest....it made me realize the importance of photos and/or appraisals on jewelry and other valuables.

Hope you find your stuff. I was living in Chicago at the time...so too many pawn shops to visit!

Karen
07-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Don't forget to check eBay and craigslist, in case the thieves are technologically competent.

jazzcat
07-05-2006, 09:50 PM
Oh my gosh Kim, I'm just now catching up on all this. I'm so sorry!!! How scary and upsetting.

I'm glad no one was harmed.

I know detailing stuff is important. The lady who used to clean my parent's house brought a teenage girl to help her a day or two before Christmas about 4 years ago and the teen stole my mother's wedding ring, an expensive heirloom sapphire and several other pieces plus she stole my Dad's coin collection. What a mess.

catnapper
07-06-2006, 01:50 PM
If I already didn't feel bad about my missing stuff, I do now!

I check out one pawn shop... they were quick to tell me its "Estate jewelry" yeah, whatever! They were so rude and phoney to me. Guess you need to wear expensive clothes and have a designer bag to get any serious help from them!

All the other pawn shops were the same: gritty and CROWDED. None had my stuff. None could tell me whether or not it had come in. All told me I had to go through the police department with a description of my stufff. Sigh, I'll NEVER get it back. :( :( :( :( :( All I did was spend a fortune worth of quarters for parking meters.

So, anyone have a clue how I can raise a quick $500 to get my new camera and replace my wedding band? I'm beginning to thinkn I need to set up a lemonaid stand outside the house with a sign that says "Robbery Victim. Buy my lemonaid to replensih my lost stuff"

Oh, and I just nopticed they took something else: all my shaving razors! I went to take a new one out of the drawer this afternoon and a whole new pack was gone! Silly!

Donnaj4962
07-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Hmmmm.... they took your shaving razors??? That does seem odd. Would they use them to cut screens to get in other people's homes???? I am sorry that you had a bad experience at the pawn shops. Sounds like maybe they depend on the thieves for some of their business??? :rolleyes:

lizbud
07-06-2006, 04:43 PM
I know what you mean about remembering EVERY last thing that was
taken. It actually took me a lettle more than a week to complete my list
for the police & Insurance co.The jerks actually stole soda pop, milk,
bottled water & beer from the fridge along with all the other stuff. :rolleyes:

Our police dept accepted faxed copies of the list which did save some
runnung around.