PDA

View Full Version : Bifocals?

davidpizzica
07-05-2006, 01:33 PM
I'll be fitted for new glasses tomorrow. I may be getting bifocals, my first pair, Are they different from regular glasses or is it something I'll get used to?

Craftlady
07-05-2006, 01:51 PM
They are different from regular glasses.
Mine are the linesless (which I love) and have a rx on the bottom and clear (non rx) on the top. Some have rx in both.

You will notice a fuzzyness in the middle and will have to tilt up/down your head so slightly to adjust to see. They will show you where to hold things to read so you dont have that "fuzzy" problem. This tilting at first is very common and you'll adjust. Kinda like people who are wearing contacts for the first time, they blink all the time.

I've worn bifocals for over 20 plus years and love them. I dont like the line bifocals. Only time I have problems is on the computer because of where the location of my monitor.

Pam
07-05-2006, 01:53 PM
Welcome to the world of bifocals David! If you are 40 or above it was bound to happen! :p :D ;) I would suggest, as would my boss who is an ophthalmologist, that you start out with progressive bifocals. They are much easier to get used to and there are three distinct fields of vision (near, intermediate and distant) so you can see everything quite easily. Here's lookin' at you! ;)

moosmom
07-05-2006, 02:01 PM
David,

Like Pam said, welcome to the world of bifocals. I, like Craftlady, have the progressive bifocals and love them. I highly recommend them.

Dorothy39
07-05-2006, 02:45 PM
I was fitted for progressive lens just after turning 40. I was apprehensive about them , but, have gotton used to reading with the lower prescription. It took me a few months to get used to them. You'll do just fine!!!!!!

Ginger's Mom
07-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Yep, I two started wearing the progressive bifocals within a few years of turning 40. :) The doctor warned me about having to get used to them, but to be honest it took almost no time at all. They are great, and as has already been said, with the progressives you can always find a field of vision that works. I have just recently started wearing bifocal contacts. They were a bit more difficult to get used to but so far I am liking it.

davidpizzica
07-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Welcome to the world of bifocals David! If you are 40 or above it was bound to happen! :p :D ;) I would suggest, as would my boss who is an ophthalmologist, that you start out with progressive bifocals. They are much easier to get used to and there are three distinct fields of vision (near, intermediate and distant) so you can see everything quite easily. Here's lookin' at you! ;)
Pam, I'll be 58 in December so I'm definitely past forty. I guess I was overdue!

carole
07-05-2006, 06:13 PM
David i have the progressive lenses and its been like nearly six weeks, i am still adjusting to them, getting better,but is is hard for me, i even had my eyes re-tested and they are changing the script slightly, will let you know if that helps, for me watching tv at night and on the computer is the hardest, at first i felt like i was walking around in a daze, not fun., so yes i think it will take some getting used to, i had only ever worn reading glasses before,But you know i love the look of my Mooks, I think i look better with them than without now, so that is something

Laura's Babies
07-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Am I the only one that needed them so bad that I took right to them and didn't need any time to adjust? Once I tried the progressive bifocals, I wouldn't have anything else and I took to them as soon as I put them on, no having to get use to them either. Yes David, go for the progressive, you will never regret it.

carole
07-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Lucky you, i wish the transition had been that easy for me, i am hoping when they come back this week my glasses will be better, and i don't have to get used to them all over again, you are fairly unique most people i talk to say it does take time to get used to them.

joycenalex
07-11-2006, 07:06 AM
i have progressive bifocals and have had no real trouble. i find that as larger lenses are coming back, it's better for me. when i had the small lenses, i found i tipped my head, leading to stiff neck when in front of the computer. no probs like that with the larger lenses.

cyber-sibes
07-11-2006, 09:21 AM
I just got my first pair of "real" glasses a few months ago. They gave me those progressive lenses first, but I could not get used to them. I couldn't drive and they made me want to throw up. plus, I do computer work all day and the focal point didn't have enough width to see the whole screen at the same time (I draw, so I need to see it all). Then they made bifocals, which worked alright for everything except the computer. Then they gave me tri-focals, which seem to work out for most everything. I gave up trying to use them for the computer, bought another pair of reading glasses just for that. I will say, it's nice to have the world back in focus. Good luck with yours, David!