PDA

View Full Version : alex/happy update

joycenalex
07-04-2006, 05:00 PM
i think he has pancreatitis again. he's retching, stretching and there was one pile of clay colored stools in the yard. he's had 2 bouts, diagnosed by lab work and ultrasound, in the last 4 years. the er vet will see him of course, but their cost is horrible and we have an appointment with regular vet tomorrow. i'll hold his food and just give him minimal water and his phenobard tonight and tomorrow am. i feel so sad for him, and worried. he's 10, and he's been on seizure meds for 9 years. please keep him in your thoughts. i'll update tomorrow after the vet visit in the pm.

4 Dog Mother
07-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Oh, poor Alex! We will keep him in prayer that he feels better and gets well soon.

joycenalex
07-05-2006, 05:25 AM
he's done vomiting, no food will do that. he's had minimal water, just 2 ice cubes every couple of hours. he looks like he feels lousy. poor dog

jenluckenbach
07-05-2006, 05:44 AM
Best of luck with Alex today.

Ginger's Mom
07-05-2006, 05:44 AM
Poor Alex. It is hard to withhold food, but he really needs to clean out. I hope he feels better this evening.

K9soul
07-05-2006, 08:28 AM
Prayers going out for Alex. I can just imagine how frightening this is for you. :( Hoping for a good update from the vet's.

Logan
07-05-2006, 08:39 AM
I do hope that the vet can get Alex feeling better soon, Joyce. Keep us posted!!!

Logan

joycenalex
07-05-2006, 05:10 PM
the vet didn't find anything on exam, she drew labs, which will be in tomorrow afternoon. she said it might have been a flare up of a subclinical pancreatitis, the clay colored stools were a clue, but the labs will the proof. so for tonight, rice, chicken broth, and a small amount of shredded chicken. i did the right thing in letting his GI tract rest without food. and my wallet is $300 lighter, he's worth every penny

Glacier
07-05-2006, 05:17 PM
I hope Alex is better soon! Pancreatitis is a nasty thing. Paxil and Preacher have both had near fatal battles with it.

Paxil has a case of mild, chronic pancreatitis. She had a bout with the disease a couple years ago that was so severe her pancreais is permanently damaged. When Paxil has a flare-up now, it's much milder, but sounds much like your boy's symptoms. I give her sub-q fluids for a few days, along with no food(if she's vomitting) or a very bland diet if she's keeping a bit down. The fluids make a world of difference for her. Easy to do and saves a trip to the vet. I take her in if I don't see improvement with the fluids after a day or two(or if she continues to vomit.) Might be worth learning how to do fluids and keeping some on hand for Alex.

joycenalex
07-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Easy to do and saves a trip to the vet. I take her in if I don't see improvement with the fluids after a day or two(or if she continues to vomit.) Might be worth learning how to do fluids and keeping some on hand for Alex.
i'd do the fluids for him in a new york minute , my day job is an xray tech, so i've started them iv drips on humans before. it can't be that different to do sub-q on dogs. thanks for the suggestion tamara, i'll ask tomorrow

Glacier
07-05-2006, 05:38 PM
i'd do the fluids for him in a new york minute , my day job is an xray tech, so i've started them iv drips on humans before. it can't be that different to do sub-q on dogs. thanks for the suggestion tamara, i'll ask tomorrow

Way easier than on a human! You don't have to find a vein, just have to get the needle under the skin in between their shoulders. Paxil is really good about it, she just lays there and gives me her best pathetic look! My vet says that she feels lousy so she stops eating and drinking in an attempt to calm her own GI system down. The dehydration makes her feel even worse and she doesn't have enough fluid in her to help clear things out. The sub-q fluids help clear everything out and she feels better very quickly.

joycenalex
07-07-2006, 04:10 PM
i got his labs back today, his amylase(normal 290-1125) is 2911, his lipase is (normal77-695) is 1726. yep he was working on pancreatitis. so another week of very low fat food. he's enjoying the chicken broth/rice/shredded chicken goop. and his sister peanut is very interested too :p

lizbud
07-07-2006, 06:09 PM
I'm glad to hear that Alex is keeping food down with no problems. I do
hope he continues to eat & feel better.

shais_mom
07-07-2006, 11:26 PM
aawww poor Alex -
thoughts and prayers with you.

BOBS DAD
07-07-2006, 11:29 PM
Sounds like Alex is on the mend. He is lucky to have such an informed and educated MOM!!! Feel better soon Alex!!!

K9karen
07-07-2006, 11:42 PM
Sorry for the late reply, but luckily I got to it with a happy ending. Feel better as fast as lightening, Alex! Funny, chicken soup is quite a "cure' for so many things. (thanks grandmom) ;)

joycenalex
07-09-2006, 08:14 AM
he's got the squirts again. he went out 5 times last night, and when i looked this am it's clay colored. i'll call the vet tomorrow, give him only defatted chicken broth tonight and tomorrow am, no dog cookies (dog abuse he'll say) and go very very slowly on reintroducing food. he really is happy this am, we sat outside, me drinking my coffee, he was on yard patrol. one of the true pleasures of life on sunday am, good coffee, fresh air and a sweet old dog near by

Dorothy39
07-09-2006, 12:28 PM
he's got the squirts again. he went out 5 times last night, and when i looked this am it's clay colored. i'll call the vet tomorrow, give him only defatted chicken broth tonight and tomorrow am, no dog cookies (dog abuse he'll say) and go very very slowly on reintroducing food. he really is happy this am, we sat outside, me drinking my coffee, he was on yard patrol. one of the true pleasures of life on sunday am, good coffee, fresh air and a sweet old dog near by

I'll drink to that!!!Love Sunday morning on the porch with my coffee!!!! With a Dog out in the yard!!!Thank-You for typing such a nice post!!!! Give Alex a hug for me. ;)

Poor alex :( ., You, however, are a wonderful Mother Dog!!!!!

joycenalex
07-10-2006, 02:54 PM
he's convinced that i'm trying to starve him (no cookies, at all!) but he's staggery and the vet will be giving him some antibiotics, he's not rebounding too fast. chicken broth and oatmeal for dinner tonight, we're out of rice. a dogs' life

Ginger's Mom
07-10-2006, 03:32 PM
I am so sorry to hear that he is still not doing too well. Come on Alex, we are all pulling for you to feel better fast. I am hoping for you to get some cookies tomorrow. ;)

joycenalex
07-13-2006, 05:52 PM
it's bad news. since last week he's developed a heart murmer and they strongly suspect he has a brain tumor. words fail me

cyber-sibes
07-13-2006, 05:58 PM
We'll say a prayer for Alex, poor guy. Hope he's feeling better soon.

caseysmom
07-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Oh gosh I am so sorry to hear that, why do they suspect that? I don't know what to say just that you are in my thoughts.

finn's mom
07-13-2006, 06:10 PM
oh that's horrible news. :( I hope their suspicions prove incorrect. :(

jenluckenbach
07-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Oh no! :( I am so sorry that the news is bad. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

lizbud
07-13-2006, 06:15 PM
he's convinced that i'm trying to starve him (no cookies, at all!) but he's staggery and the vet will be giving him some antibiotics, he's not rebounding too fast. chicken broth and oatmeal for dinner tonight, we're out of rice. a dogs' life

By "staggery" I thought he you meant like a mock starvation type pose.
But was he really unsure of his footing or have trouble walking? This sure
seems to have come out of the blue. I am so sorry if his outlook looks so
unsure. Prayers for Alex on the way.

Ginger's Mom
07-13-2006, 06:29 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. It really does seem to be too much all at once. I hope they find that things are not as bad as they think. I cannot imagine how hard this is on you. Prayers and hugs are being sent out for you and Alex.

My Peanuts
07-13-2006, 06:38 PM
:( I'm so sorry to hear this about Alex. Let's just pray they are wrong.

Daisy and Delilah
07-13-2006, 06:46 PM
I'm sending urgent prayers out to Alex right away. So sorry to hear this. I hope he gets better soon and has a complete recovery :(
(((((HUGS TO ALEX AND MOM)))))

joycenalex
07-13-2006, 07:07 PM
alex has been seen by these vets for 9 years. they've checked him out after his numerous seizures and the vet could see by his head & body movements and staggery gait that he is having neurological changes. he cannot locate his hind feet when his toes were turned under for walking. she did offer to send him to a vet neuro for evaluation and a workup including an mri, but i won't put him through that. he'd have to be sedated, and i cannot see to put him through that with the newly discovered heart murmur and pancreatitis.
i am so sad. without any doubt, he has been one of the biggest joys of my life. as long as he is comfortable and eating he can have anything he wants, except for the kitty litter pan. i am so sad

4 Dog Mother
07-13-2006, 07:59 PM
I am so sorry to read this news, Joyce. Poor Alex and poor you! He doesn't understand what is happening but you know what is most likely coming. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

lute
07-13-2006, 08:09 PM
i'm so sorry about Alex. i'm still sending good thoughts and prayers in hopes that Alex overcomes his illness.

Cinder & Smoke
07-13-2006, 08:24 PM
Hi God ~

Sendin sum Purrayers fur Alex, da Wonder Dawg, an his Mom, too.

Please keep him Kumfortable an Happie ...
an have him tell his Mom when he's ready to come up an see You at da Bridge.

Thanks, God.

/s/ the Prayer Pups

shais_mom
07-13-2006, 11:53 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Alex -
will be thinking of you both.

Karen
07-14-2006, 12:15 AM
You AND Alex will still be in our prayers, for a comfortable time until the end. Smooch that pooch for me, okay?

K9karen
07-14-2006, 01:21 AM
I'm at a lose for words. My heart is breaking for you. How wise not to put Alex under more stress with additional tests. I pray that he remains happy and safe in your loving arms. Gentle hugs and kisses for both of you.

pitc9
07-14-2006, 07:49 AM
Many, many hugs and prayers for you both!
We are all here for you!!!

Dorothy39
07-14-2006, 08:10 AM
I have read through the entire story again. , anxiously hoping for a better outcome.

I tend to agree with the "no-additional testing" for Alex. This would only add insult to injury.

I pray that your steadfast devotion to him will be rewarding. I feel so bad for you :( , as, I've been in your shoes so often.

lv4dogs
07-14-2006, 08:10 AM
Oh Joyce, me heart aches for you. Yous will be in my thoughts & prayers and many many {{{hugs}}} for you both.

anna_66
07-14-2006, 08:19 AM
I've tried to keep up with your posts about Alex and I'm so sorry to hear that he's not better, but worse:(
I had such hope that he would rebound and be a-ok in no time, but it seems this is not the case.
I'll be keeping the both of you in my prayers.

Many (((HUGS)))
Anna

Pawsitive Thinking
07-14-2006, 08:44 AM
Bless you Alex

cyber-sibes
07-14-2006, 09:16 AM
:( Continuing prayers for you and Alex....((hugs))

joycenalex
07-15-2006, 07:27 PM
alex and i had a good day. he's less staggery, ate like a horse, and did steal peanuts kong this afternoon, while peanut was outside. we're going to sit outside and watch the fireflies for awhile. thanks for all the good wishes.

Karen
07-15-2006, 07:28 PM
Sounds like a nice day, one to treasure!

K9soul
07-15-2006, 07:30 PM
I hadn't realized Alex took a bad turn again. I'm relieved to hear today he had a good day at least. You and he will remain in my prayers. My God hold and keep you both.

jenluckenbach
07-15-2006, 07:56 PM
ANY good news is fantastic.

Dorothy39
07-16-2006, 05:25 AM
Any improvement is so wonderful to read. You are doing an A-1 job taking care of him . There is nothing more rewarding in life than to see a sick dog beginning to feel better. I hope you have many more "fire -fly" moments with your Alex!!!!

Thank-You for posting that up-date. I'll keep you in my thoughts for another positive post.

Please feel even better Alex!!!!

Daisy and Delilah
07-16-2006, 06:46 AM
Hi Alex, We're still praying for you to get better sweetheart!! Kisses to you from Florida :)

Ginger's Mom
07-16-2006, 07:12 AM
Sounds like a good way to spend the evening with a special boy. Glad to hear that he had a good day. You will both remain in my thoughts and prayers.

joycenalex
07-17-2006, 12:27 PM
all the prayers and well wishes are working, i just caught alex counter surfing the cats dishes. ;)

jenluckenbach
07-17-2006, 12:38 PM
Sounds like good news to me. ;)

joycenalex
07-19-2006, 04:40 PM
last week, the vets and i thought alex would be leaving for the bridge. it seems that he'd gone toxic on one of his seizure meds, potassium bromide. the signs of toxicity mimic stroke/brain tumors. the muscle weakness, tremors, and the other CNS(central nervous systems) symptoms seemed pretty conclusive, given that his theraputic level was 1.1 & his labs, except for the pancreatitis were normal.after that visit i brought him home and decided to make his last days happy, so i spoiled him with special foods and stopped all his meds except for the phenobarb. he's been on the potassium bromide for 8 1/2 years (on the pheno for 9), and the levels had just reached the end of theraputic value for him. his gait is steadier, he can jump onto the bed and he's tried to steal catfood. when the vet saw him today, she checked with the vet neuro and they said to just keep him on phenobarb. he still has the heart murmur.
i am so happy. i realize some people here won't believe this, given that there have been a few hoaxes, but so many of you were sent kind messages of hope, so but i am so happy alex is doing better i wanted to share this.

Glacier
07-19-2006, 04:44 PM
I am so glad to hear that Alex is feeling better and you will get more time with your special boy!

jenluckenbach
07-19-2006, 05:03 PM
This is fantastic news~ I AM SO happy for you and Alex!

Dorothy39
07-19-2006, 05:12 PM
That is astounding news . Alex's recovery , since removing the other meds, is amazing.

I am so happy to learn this!!!!! He is so lucky to have you as his Mommy nursemaid!!!
Thank-You for telling us the Great News!!!!!! Enjoy the fire flies!!!!!!

My Peanuts
07-19-2006, 05:16 PM
:) Wonderful news about Alex. I've been thinking about him.

My childhood dog, Barney had a heart murmur. He was diagnosed with it at a young age and he lived to be 18 years old. :)

My Peanuts
07-19-2006, 05:17 PM
BTW, I was looking at your profile and we share a birthday :D. I can't remember if I knew that already or not :rolleyes: :p

lizbud
07-19-2006, 05:51 PM
I am so glad they finally figured out what was going on with Alex. I'm
happy for you that he's feeling much better. :)

4 Dog Mother
07-19-2006, 07:48 PM
That is wonderful news about Alex! And good to know too since Snoopy is taking Potassium Bromide too. We would never believe you would start a hoax especially about a dog that is so special to you and we all know has been having the seizures for years. And who doesn't want to believe in miracles?

Ginger's Mom
07-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Oh Joyce, that is wonderful news! I am so glad that Alex is feeling better, and I know you must be feeling better. Give that boy a big hug and get a good night's sleep.

pitc9
07-19-2006, 10:19 PM
I'm so glad to read a good update!
Many hugs to you and Alex!!

joycenalex
07-20-2006, 05:45 AM
... And good to know too since Snoopy is taking Potassium Bromide too. ... And who doesn't want to believe in miracles?
it never occured to anyone that even with blood levels that low he could be toxic. i am glad that we waited to spoil him. :) for a bit longer.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-20-2006, 05:54 AM
Great news :D

anna_66
07-20-2006, 08:47 AM
This is the happiest thing I've read all morning:D Nothing could be better than getting to spend more time with your fur kid after thinking it was the end. I'm sure you were ecstatic...I know I would have been!

We had a similar experience with our RB Angus and we got to have him back for an additional 2 1/2 months before he went to the bridge. It was a heaven send.

Enjoy all the time you can with him!