PDA

View Full Version : Please help with loaning a horse

horselover
07-04-2006, 02:36 PM
please help me as I am new to this horse loaning business. When you have a horse on loan what happens when you have vet bills? Is it possible to have a short term loan to begin with, for a trail, for a month perhaps? Are there any hidden extras I have forgotten about or is it just the monthly livery bill? Will I have to transport the horse or is that taken care of by the owner?

Vela
07-04-2006, 02:48 PM
You need to have a legal contract in writing that stipulates all of the above questions. You need to talk it over with the person leasing you the horse. It can be different in every instance. You should discuss injuries to the horse while in your care, who will pay for what and whether or not you are responsible for half or more of the vet bills, feed, shoing, etc. You should also discuss use of the tack, as repair or replacement expenses are often shared, unless you have your own tack. You should be able to transport the horse in an emergency, or have it available to borrow from a friend, in case the owner is out of town etc., and the horse needs immediate help. You should always have all contact information and have stipulations about medical costs and what the owner is and is not willing to pay for in case you can't contact them in an emergency, such as surgery or euthanasia if it should become necessary. You need to discuss the terms of the length of the loan and who is responsible for what portion of the expenses. Have it all in writing and have it notorized by a notary so that all of your questions are answered satisfactorily and you don't leave not knowing what to do if something should happen and what your obligations are.

Suki Wingy
07-04-2006, 11:12 PM
Maybe you should move this to Pet General, where most stuff about horses is, more people might see it. I'm sorry I can't help because I've been wondering a lot of the same questions.