PDA

View Full Version : Gorgeous Shuttle Launch

Daisy and Delilah
07-04-2006, 02:02 PM
I've lived in Florida long enough to see every single flight that's gone up from the Cape. We just saw another beautiful launch today. It will simply take your breath away and bring tears to your eyes, no matter how you feel about the space program. Awesome is putting it mildly. I only regret that everyone doesn't get to see it so close up and personal.

elizabethann
07-04-2006, 02:36 PM
I'd love to be able to see that some day. My sister and her family saw it once & I have an Aunt & cousins who live in Florida and see it everytime. They say it really is an amazing thing. I get excited when I see a falling star so I know I would be excited to see the shuttle launch.

Do you hear it going off? If so, is it super loud?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

:)

lizbud
07-04-2006, 04:17 PM
I really would like to see a launch in person.I've really looked forward to
this flight because the other two times the weather was bad.CNN had live
coverage. It would be awesome to actually be there.

Logan
07-04-2006, 04:48 PM
I am so envious. I would love to see the shuttle launch, just once. I have been to the Kennedy Space Center and have seen all the "stuff", but never a live launch.

I'm so glad that the shuttle lifted off successfully today. What a special day to have it happen.

Logan

Daisy and Delilah
07-04-2006, 05:45 PM
We can't hear the noise at my house. I'm close to Daytona Beach. I've been down there several times to see the launches from the banks of the Indian River. Being that close, you can feel the ground move and that's mind boggling. It's just an amazing phenomenon for sure. Some of our other Floridians here at PTmay be close enough to have heard the noise part of it as well. Maybe we should have a big PT meeting the next time we have a launch so everybody can see it ;)

beeniesmom
07-04-2006, 06:46 PM
The one and only time I saw it close enough was when I lived in Ocala many years ago. I will never forget it. It was 1987 and I was in grade school.... It was when the Challenger blew up. :(

RICHARD
07-05-2006, 03:11 AM
Awesome is putting it mildly. I only regret that everyone doesn't get to see it so close up and personal.

I have to settle for fighter jets at airshows.

Tell me,

Why is it you get LES when you are in the preseence of something like that?

I get a kick out of the flyby at a NASCAR race.
I have to hide my eyes when I go to an airshow and a jet makes a flyby.

I have heard sonic booms by Chuck Yeager, the Space Shuttle and a bunch of other air ships and it always gives me the chills....

It's just a noise, or a sight to behold....

A shuttle launch is the last thing on my list....

Of course, a back seat in a Blue Angel's plane is number one....
But I have to be realistic, so until them.... ;)

Pawsitive Thinking
07-05-2006, 10:46 AM
We have a "local boy" up there!

gemini9961
07-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Terry I missed the launch yesterday but I have seen them before. At my parent's house here in Dade City we can see the shuttle go up, but it's not like seeing it up close. I have had the chance to see a night launch over there. I am not real sure where we were but we were across the water. My goodness, it was like daytime when that shuttle took off, bright as could be. I don't recall it being super loud, as we were quite a bit away. But we could feel the ground shake for sure. I also recall seeing the Challenger disaster even though I was just a kid. I was standing out by my parent's pool and my Mom ran in to see what happened. :( Seeing them up close (as close as you can get) is a truly awe-inspiring event.

Richard,

I get goosebumps when they have fly-by's at the Bucs games when I go. :) Makes me immensely proud to be an American and know we have such awesome things as these.