PDA

View Full Version : Personality Disorder ???

lizbud
07-03-2006, 05:16 PM
What the heck does that mean? I would think that defination would
fit any number of mental conditions.All negative.I can't believe this was
not found out before the guy enlisted. Honorable discharge?

Ex-Soldier Charged With Rape of Iraqi

By TIM WHITMIRE
Associated Press Writer
Published July 3, 2006, 2:38 PM CDT

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Federal prosecutors accused a former U.S. soldier Monday of raping and murdering a young Iraqi woman and gunning down her family, all of whose bodies were found burned in an apparent coverup.

Steven D. Green, a 21-year-old former Army private first class who was recently discharged because of a "personality disorder," appeared in a federal magistrate's courtroom in Charlotte Monday.

The murder and rape charges against him grew out of a military investigation involving up to five soldiers in the March rape and killing of the woman in Mahmoudiya and three of her relatives, one of them a young girl believed to be about 5 years old.

Prosecutors said Green and others entered the home of a family of Iraqi civilians, where Green shot the three relatives, and he and another soldier raped the woman and killed her. According to an accompanying affidavit, photos taken by Army investigators in March showed a burned body of "what appears to be a woman with blankets thrown over her upper torso."

FBI agents arrested Green on Friday in Marion, N.C. He is being held in Charlotte without bond pending a transfer to Louisville, Ky.

The case is being handled by federal prosecutors there because Green, who served 11 months with the 101st Airborne Division, based at Fort Campbell, Ky., is no longer in the military. According to an affidavit filed with the criminal complaint, he was given an honorable discharge "before this incident came to light. Green was discharged due to a personality disorder."

He faces a possible death sentence if convicted of murder.

In Baghdad, a U.S. military spokesman, Maj. Joseph Breasseale, said "at this time" no other charges have been filed in the Mahmoudiya case.

The mayor of Mahmoudiya, Mouayad Fadhil, said Monday that Iraqi authorities had started their own investigation. He said U.S. Army officers were also seeking permission to exhume one of the bodies; the U.S. military declined to comment on the report because the investigation is ongoing.

The age of the rape victim was also unclear. U.S. officials close to the case have described her as a young woman, and FBI documents estimated her age at 25, but a neighbor of the family said the rape victim was 14 and her sister was 10.

The affidavit filed in Green's case by FBI special agent Gregor J. Ahlers of Louisville said Green and three other soldiers from the 101st's 502nd Infantry Regiment were working a traffic checkpoint in Mahmoudiya on March 12 when they conspired to rape a woman who lived nearby.

According to the affidavit's account, the soldiers changed their clothes before going to the woman's residence to avoid detection. Once there, the affidavit said, Green took three members of the family -- an adult male and female, and a girl estimated to be 5 years old -- into a bedroom, after which shots were heard from inside.

"Green came to the bedroom door and told everyone, 'I just killed them. All are dead,'" the affidavit said.

The affidavit is based on interviews conducted by the FBI and investigators at Fort Campbell with three unidentified soldiers assigned to Green's platoon. One of the soldiers said he witnessed another soldier and Green rape the woman.

"After the rape, (the soldier) witnessed Green shoot the woman in the head two to three times," the affidavit said.

Ahlers said in the affidavit that he also reviewed photos taken by Army investigators in Iraq of bodies found inside a burned house, including photos of an Iraqi man, woman and young girl who all appear to have died of gunshot wounds. He said he also reviewed a photo of a burned body of "what appears to be a woman with blankets thrown over her upper torso."

An official familiar with details of the investigation in Iraq has told The Associated Press that a flammable liquid was used to burn the rape victim's body in a cover-up attempt. U.S. officials have said they believed the victims were killed in sectarian violence.

On Friday, the U.S. military acknowledged that Maj. Gen. James D. Thurman, commander of the 4th Infantry Division, had ordered a criminal investigation into the alleged slaying of a family in Mahmoudiya.

Four members of the 502nd have had their weapons taken away and were confined to a U.S. base near Mahmoudiya, officials said.

The suspects belong to the same unit as two soldiers kidnapped and killed south of Baghdad last month, a military official said on condition of anonymity because the case was under way.

The military has said that one and possibly both of the slain soldiers were tortured and beheaded. The official said the mutilation of the slain soldiers stirred feelings of guilt and led at least one member of the platoon to reveal the rape-slaying on June 22.

According to the affidavit filed Monday, investigators learned of the March 12 attack during a combat stress debriefing that occurred around June 20.

Green will have a preliminary hearing and a detention hearing on July 10 in Charlotte, and will then be brought to Louisville, said Marisa Ford, chief of the criminal division for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Louisville.

Catty1
07-03-2006, 09:53 PM
I think they deliberately use the words "personality disorder" to cover any number of things and not get specific.

What he did was beyond sick...evil evil stuff...

Lady's Human
07-03-2006, 10:21 PM
WIth very little research the writer could have found out what the soldier's real reason for discharge was. Discharge certificates are public record, and it would have stated the chapter he was discharged under along with the specific reason. "personality disorder" is not a reason for discharge.

If he did what he is accused of, he should hang.

lizbud
07-04-2006, 05:54 PM
I think they deliberately use the words "personality disorder" to cover any number of things and not get specific.

What he did was beyond sick...evil evil stuff...

Yes and it gives all American troops a black eye. What I wondered was
if potential recruits are tested in any way (except physicals) when they
come to enlist? Seems strange when he's discharged so close in time to
this story breaking.

Lady's Human
07-04-2006, 06:37 PM
There is a minimal psych eval done while in MEPS, but most of the time we have the joy of finding out about these problems when the troops get to the units. :rolleyes:

I've seen some ugly things come into units, multiple personalities, minimal intelligence, etc, but they do well enough to sneak through.

RICHARD
07-05-2006, 03:21 AM
I have to chime in.

Take a best friend., co worker or relative.

Now think about them in splattered on a wall, have them die next to you,
or have them bleed to death in your arms.

I think it is a grave mistake to judge a 'personality disorder' without having known or seen what triggered a person to act that way.

Yes, there are people who slip thru the cracks.....But there are things seen in war time that can move a person to the edge of sanity.

Yep, that is a crime what that soldier did....

---------------

Whitmire is a journalist that probably has never had his best friend shot or killed in he presence...

He is just parroting the 'facts' as he gets them.

I don't really give any story written by some wuss, at a desk in a news room,
any credence....it's all second hand wordage.

In a court of law hearsay don't mean squat.
-------------------

we can give any Peterson, Simpson, Ramsay character a break, but when it come to some jerk, fighting a war, we can't even see the forest.

Yep, he may have confessed but where are his rights.

----------------------------

If we happen to capture a bomber that kills 30 people in a market place in Iraq are we willing to give him a break? ;)

The question is why he did it.

Edwina's Secretary
07-05-2006, 11:54 AM
If he did what he is accused of, he should hang.

Glad to see your commitment to "innocent until proven guilty" Does that apply to the guys at Gitmo too?

And RICHARD.... if seeing someone
splattered on a wall, have them die next to you,
or have them bleed to death in your arms. is an explanation (I did not say excuse) .... does that apply to the "other side" as well? If they see someone they love....a friend, a parent a child a spouse die....does that justifiy revenge on US troops?

These are the moral cunundrums of war.

Lady's Human
07-05-2006, 12:27 PM
In previous wars POWs were held until the end of hostilities, or exchanged for our POWs.

Being that the people challenging their continued captivity are pushing for them to be treated IAW the Geneva convention, which allows for POW's to be held until the cessation of hostilities, I see no reason not to oblige them.

We could, of course, take the other action allowed by the GC, which makes it perfectly legal to summarily execute armed civilians found engaged in combat on the battlefield. (The justification for this is that when the GC was written, they were assumed to be spies or illegal combatants, the GC didn't anticipate NGO's engaging in warfare.)

Edwina's Secretary
07-05-2006, 02:25 PM
LH....You avoid the question. Innocent until proven guilty? This is the first I have heard that all those guys being held were captured as armed soldiers....

Lady's Human
07-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Es, If they were captured as armed civilians on the battlefield, then there is a special section of the GC dealing with them. (in short, they have no GC protection)

If they were captured for another reason, then they should get trials. Military trials were accepted practice in these cases previously, and the USSC has just set out the map to follow to do just that. Now if congress would just get off their tuckusses and actually DO something, maybe there can be some progress.

RICHARD
07-05-2006, 02:36 PM
moral cunundrums

Seriously,

Why are you cursing? ;)

(that word always reminds me of something dirty)

I was not using that as an excuse, merely as a a point.....

a point where people break down and do not come back up.

Edwina's Secretary
07-05-2006, 02:38 PM
But do you find that an acceptable explanation?

(I have that problem with a professional organization to which I belong...PIHRA....sounds like a gum disease to me....)

Edwina's Secretary
07-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Now if congress would just get off their tuckusses and actually DO something, maybe there can be some progress.

Now you are blaming the delay on congress? Are you sure it isn't the press? ;) ;)

Round up the ususal suspects....

I still ask the question. Do you believe them innocent until proven guilty?

Lady's Human
07-05-2006, 02:46 PM
ES, personally, congress habitually (regardless of who is in charge) does nothing until the crisis they are reacting to has already passed. They do a good job of emulating most bureaucracies.......delay, deny, overreact.

I thought I was being fairly clear. For those who do not fall under GC provisions for non-uniformed combatants (Referred to in the GC language as illegal combatants), yes, they should get military tribunals. As in innocent until proven guilty.

lizbud
07-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Now officals are releasing the cause of his discharge was "antisocial
personality disorder". I can believe that, the guy is a criminal deviant.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2155495

RICHARD
07-06-2006, 01:05 AM
But do you find that an acceptable explanation?

nope, just something that set him off....

Kinda like walking into a bar and seeing your Mexican Maiden tossing one back with someone else....

You challenge him to a duel and bust a cap into his arse, kill him and end up on El Pasos' Most Wanted... ;) :p