PDA

View Full Version : Question about Nutmeg's nail

Nomilynn
07-03-2006, 02:41 PM
Hi everyone - long time no see I suppose. Today Nutmeg hurt her foot and ripped out the sheath of her nail. It was bleeding at first (I noticed it when she walked and left blood spots on the floor) but it has now stopped and there is just some dried blood on her toe.

I've decided to watch it for a bit before rushing her off to the vet but I'm just curious about her digging around in the litter box. The nail isn't gone, I think she just ripped the outer part off, so there is no open wound. Is there anything I should do though to keep it from getting infected from being in the litter box?

Thanks,
Naomi

catmandu
07-03-2006, 02:44 PM
We dont think that there should be a problem, but will let the smarter Cat people answer.

Laura's Babies
07-03-2006, 02:55 PM
I'd just watch it and make sure she has no problems with it. If there was blood, there is a open wound, maybe it is a real small one and will close up and heal on it's own..

catnapper
07-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Ah, Pincer is old hat at this one. He rips his nails out with a certain regularity. Juts wash it, put some neosporin on it and keep an eye out for infection. She should be good as new in a week or two. The nail will take a while to grow back.

Nomilynn
07-03-2006, 04:29 PM
thanks for the replies. She didn't rip the whole nail off, nor did she snag it... most of the nail is still there. I guess the equivalent would be a fairly bad hangnail.

I will for sure keep an eye on it.

catland
07-03-2006, 10:47 PM
hee-hee - sorry, this reminded me of something that happened a couple of months back - I looked at little girl Jan and wondered what was on her forhead. She had the outer sheath of a nail stuck in it. :eek: My guess is it was Strauss, who is twice her size but who she loves to torment.

Both kitties were fine. :)