PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm... do I want to do this?

catnapper
07-03-2006, 01:07 PM
We're currently painting the exterior doors and shed. The house is white. The doors are now becoming pale greyish blue (in the shade it looks baby blue) and the accent is a buttery yellow. Don't ask how I came to choose those colors - I'm wondering it myself! :p

Anyway, Tomorrow is the 4th of July. Independance Day. Our shed faces a busy street with high visibility. I was thinking of painting a huge mural of a waving American Flag on the back of the shed tomorrow. I have the paint, so cost isn't a worry. I can use the pale greyish blue and butter yellow as highlights to tie the mural in with the house.

I think it would be cool. I saw some documentaries on tv about barns, roofs, sheds, etc all painted with a flag mural.

Or would it be silly to paint?

Would people be "mad" if my blue stripes were not the exact shade blue on the flag? Would I be inviting cristism?

Also, our yard is not the prettiest in town. Our house and yard need a lot of work. I don't want to make this huge statement when the rest of our house looks pretty neglected.

Anyway... all this rambling because I'm not sure I want to do this flag mural. I do because I think we need reminding of how important our independance is. I don't because I'm unsure how it'll be received by people. and because... well.... it HOT out! LOL

JenBKR
07-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Fantastic idea! I don't know about exactness of the colors, but I just think it would be beautiful. I love the look of the flag painted on a surface, and I think that we certainly do need reminded how important our independence is, and how very lucky we are to have it. If you do, I will also await pictures :D

catnapper
07-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Well, I just painted the shed a new coat of all white.... and most likely won't be doing the flag any day soon. Maybe Memorial Day? you see, hubby planted new grass seed a few hours ago. I got "in trouble" for treading on his grass seed just to do the one coat of white.... grrr.... he KNEW I had plans on painting that shed today and tomorrow!

I still like the idea, but its going to have to wait til the grass comes up strong.

Other than that, Everyone in the house looked at me like I had 4 heads when I told them of my plans. :rolleyes:

Karen
07-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Go for it, when your grass is up and strong - maybe for Labor Day! Even if the blue isn't exact, as long as it's a dark blue, it'll be fine, and no one should complain. And it will serve as a focal point, and folks probably would be less likely to look at the rest of the yard when focussed on it!

kuhio98
07-03-2006, 05:30 PM
Okay, I'm the one that voted "Other". I think it's a great idea, but I think you deserve a break. You have been busy, busy, busy with all the news things going on. I say, drop the paint brush and pickup a mixed drink and take a load off and just enjyoy yourself! Relax! You deserve it!

joanofark
07-03-2006, 06:10 PM
I think it's an AWESOME idea.... The colors don't matter, as long as they're red, white and blue!! I do agree you need a nice break... but hey! You can take a nice drink outside, a radio and have fun!! :D

(Make sure you post pictures if you DO, do it!!) :p

Suki Wingy
07-03-2006, 08:23 PM
sounds like a great idea. I love public art! :) Oh and who says you can't relax at the same time? Set up the radio and have fun painting!