PDA

View Full Version : Teddy not interested in Bones

sparks19
07-03-2006, 12:39 PM
I gave Teddy a Soup bone the other day for the first time and he had NO interest in it at all. He sniffed it a bit and gave it a few licks but that was it. Any suggestions? why doesn't he like it? Is it just because it's something new?

elizabethann
07-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Perhaps he just wasn't hungry at the time? Maybe if you put it in the fridge and try giving it to him another day, he'll eat it?

Maybe he just doesn't like bones? I wouldn't worry too much.

However, Fenway would like to give his address out to you, so you can send the bone to him. :D

sparks19
07-03-2006, 12:47 PM
HAHAHA If I sent it through the post office I'm not sure how good the meat would be by the time it got to Fenway lol.

Perhaps you are right. Maybe I will give it to him after a run at the park tonight.

Jessika
07-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Maybe he just doesn't like them? Dogs have preference too ;)

Jamie doesn't like knuckle/soup bones, either. ;)

sparks19
07-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Maybe he just doesn't like them? Dogs have preference too ;)

Jamie doesn't like knuckle/soup bones, either. ;)

Thats what I was thinking :( Oh well I will try again and if he doesn't like them then I will have to find a new teeth cleaning strategy lol

bckrazy
07-03-2006, 08:46 PM
Gonzo & Fozzie both go nuts over knuckle bones, I couldn't imagine them not! Maybe it's just a shock? Have you ever fed him raw before? Imagine you eating processed foods all of your life (not offending kibble-feeders, as I do too, but it's true.), say McDonald's, and one day being offered a big garden salad? It would take time for both your taste buds and your tummy to adjust. If I were you, I'd put it back in the fridge/freezer and offer it to him in the morning before he has eaten. Maybe smear a little bit of peanut butter on it to entice him to at least try it. =0)

Also, OMGz knuckle bones are the best! They can seriously erase years of tartar in a 15-minute session. Just be sure he's chewing well (if he ends up liking it) and take it away after 10-15 minutes. You can put it in the freezer and save it for another time.

k9krazee
07-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Knuckle bones? Where do you go about getting them?

bckrazy
07-03-2006, 11:54 PM
Oh... knuckle bones and soup bones are the same. =) At most grocery stores, in the beef section, or ask the butcher.

sparks19
07-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the tips Bckrazy :D I will try the peanut butter. right now it is in the fridge. I took it out yesterday and all he wanted to do was carry it around LOL but thats an improvement over not being interested in it at all.

K9Krazee, you have to keep an eye open for them in the beef section of the grocery store if there is no butcher. LOL we walked right by them even though we were looking. We asked an employee and he had no idea but a man overheard us and said he just saw some and directed us to the right place. We got two for only a couple bucks.