PDA

View Full Version : Fitness Fridays Health Club #1 - Grand Opening!

christa
07-03-2006, 08:26 AM
Welcome to PT’s brand new weekly addition . . .

Fitness Fridays Health Club!!!

For those of you who don’t know, Fitness Fridays is the name of our new virtual health club, a place for everyone to come and hang out, talk about health & wellness, share HEALTHY recipes, exercise tips, and weight loss goals & success stories!!!

The thread will be renewed every “Monday” . . . I know it doesn’t make sense . . . Fridays is kind of like our "Doghouse Thursdays", know what I mean? Just the name of the *club* . . . and you are encouraged to . . .

COME WORK OUT WITH US!

COME EAT HEALTHY WITH US!!!

The purpose of Fitness Fridays is to keep everyone motivated and so far, there has been an overwhelming response! Post all week long on the current thread . . . keep us informed about what you’re eating, what you’re doing to stay active. Use this as a motivational tool for yourself and for others!!!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention . . . MEMBERSHIP IS FREE!!! :D

Bengalz
07-03-2006, 09:57 AM
What an excellent place to start any week!!

I must be honest in that I am not into any formal type of exercise regime. However, I do stay in shape by being active with such things as walking, hiking and gardening. Oh, there's also that thing call housework - running up and down 3 flights of stairs every weekend hauling laundry and a vacumn cleaner helps. :D

Probably the best exercise is hiking. I am fortunate to live in BC where there are so many phenomenal hikes to go on - any level or length of time. Also, close to my home there are several trails that we walk regularly including a beach trail right along the Pacific Ocean. Not to exercise this way would be too sad.

Diet? Well, my husband and I are both in our normal weight range and pretty healthy so we generally eat anything we want. I do however, try to keep us on a balanced diet with lots of fruit and vegetables to go with the steak or the chicken or the roast beef. :cool:

We do indulge in junk foods every now and then but generally try to stick with the good stuff. We both have a passion for chocolate - especially DARK chocolate. Lots of good reasons to keep that one IN the diet plan.

Another form of exercise (and diet control) is a forced one - my job!! It keeps me busy and out of mischief for most of the week. :rolleyes:

Another thing I would like to mention is that getting enough sleep makes all the difference for me. When I'm tired, I tend to be a lot lazier and don't take as much care in going for a walk (example) or preparing a good meal.

Thanks for getting this discussion going Christa. I look forward to hearing about other people's experiences and thoughts about how to stay fit and healthy.

Cheers, Betty

My Peanuts
07-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Just checking in. I had a bad weekend. I was active, but I didn't go to the gym. I'm going tonight. I'm planning on making a schedule soon. That way it will be easier to stick to it.

christa
07-03-2006, 12:46 PM
I'm getting ready to go work out with hubby . . . he is off today so we're going to work out together. :D

I changed my routine this past weekend, so I am looking forward to that change . . . hopefully I will see some real improvement! Shock my muscles!!!

Today is ARM DAY! Biceps & triceps . . . Love arm day! And then cardio of course!

Hope you all find time for a workout today!!!

;)

RobiLee
07-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Just wanted to check in and let you know that I had stopped at our local Dairy Mart for hubby and while I was in there I was certain I was getting myself a big huge candy bar. I didn't do it!! I remembered that the local farmer's market was just down the road so I said NO CHOCOLATE and went and bought myself some fresh peaches instead. This is a big deal to me...lol.

No walking yet today. Hopefully I will get that in this evening. I'm off to have myself a peach now ;).

Have a good day everyone! :)

Dorothy39
07-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Ok, This thread is HOT!!!

Sign me up, I will keep checking the up-dates every Monday.

Good Job!!!! Great Motivational Thread.

(Wish I could exercise and post at the same time!!) :D

finn's mom
07-03-2006, 01:36 PM
This is a great idea! I'm drinking nothing but water today... I need to do it every day, but, it's never easy for me. I try to only drink soda when I eat out... but, I need to cut that out, too. I'm on a bit of a workout routine, so, hopefully I'll see some changes within a month or two! Good luck, everyone!

buckner
07-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Just wanted to check in and let you know that I had stopped at our local Dairy Mart for hubby and while I was in there I was certain I was getting myself a big huge candy bar. I didn't do it!! I remembered that the local farmer's market was just down the road so I said NO CHOCOLATE and went and bought myself some fresh peaches instead. This is a big deal to me...lol. Woohoo!!! That IS a big deal.. I'm so proud of you for resisting the temptation! ... and then to eat peaches instead, what a GREAT idea for anyone!! WOOOOOT, GO ROBIN!!!!!!!

Lets see, I was sick all weekend, but I did manage to eat "okay". Not much exercise outside of work, but my job keeps me on my feet at all hours.

For this week, I'm going to write out a menu for each meal (breakfast is pretty much already covered though..) along with an exercising schedule. Walking or running is the only thing I can manage, as I don't belong to a gym or have any equipment, but walking helps tremendously! And because I have severe asthma, I'm unable to run long distances... as of right now. I'm training myself to push myself and get into the routine of running. :)

Next week, I'll be on a mission trip doing hardcore manual labor all week, 8 hours a day, except Wednesday. Basically, in a nut shell, we fix houses for those less fortunate - yes, we pay $400 a person to go fix OTHER people's houses. It's a neat experience, and I have such a blast in so many ways... but that'll be my exercise for the week! I just have to remember to eat. I've been on 3 - the first one I didn't want to eat AT all, the second I ate like a horse, and the third I barely ate. When you're out in the sun working hard, you lose your appetite for some reason.. so eating will be key for me next week. ;)

I'm going to go scrounge up all of my collected recipes and I'll be back! It may be later tonight until I get to post them because I have to leave for work in an hour.. but I'll post them!!! Promise! Any requests?? Any specific type of food someone wants? I've got a ton. ;)

Weee, I'm so excited for this thread! Have a GREAT day, everyone!!!

Rachel
07-03-2006, 03:07 PM
I'm going to go scrounge up all of my collected recipes and I'll be back! It may be later tonight until I get to post them because I have to leave for work in an hour.. but I'll post them!!! Promise! Any requests?? Any specific type of food someone wants? I've got a ton. ;)

I'd be interested in a recipe that: consists vegetables, is not too complicated, and is fairly quick to fix. I eat a lot of salads but that's gets old after awhile. My husband cooks shredded cabbage, chopped onions
and green peppers, chopped canned tomatoes, and corn. I really like this combination. When we reheat leftovers I have it over cooked potatoes. That's what we are having for dinner tonight.

Robi, I want to congratulate you for resisting that candy bar. Being a chocolate addict, I know how difficult that is. You almost have to *detox* off of candy and sweets. After 3 or 4 days, it should get easier. I had peaches with my cereal for breakfast. Yum Also cut up a whole watermelon and that's in the Fridge for when I want *something* really fast.

Flatcoatluver
07-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday I have to work from 7:30-12:00 then from 2:30 to 7:30, so I am very active because it’s running, and feeding dogs and a lot of cleaning. Then on Thursday I am packing and cleaning the truck for a week vacation. Then Friday we are off for a week till Saturday the 15th. Everyday I will be swimming and jogging with Zoey.

Dorothy39
07-03-2006, 04:21 PM
I'd be interested in a recipe that: consists vegetables, is not too complicated, and is fairly quick to fix. I eat a lot of salads but that's gets old after awhile. My husband cooks shredded cabbage, chopped onions
and green peppers, chopped canned tomatoes, and corn. I really like this combination. When we reheat leftovers I have it over cooked potatoes. That's what we are having for dinner tonight.

Robi, I want to congratulate you for resisting that candy bar. Being a chocolate addict, I know how difficult that is. You almost have to *detox* off of candy and sweets. After 3 or 4 days, it should get easier. I had peaches with my cereal for breakfast. Yum Also cut up a whole watermelon and that's in the Fridge for when I want *something* really fast.
These are great choice for me as well. I get sick of salads. I don't have a weight problem, but, I am entering mid life :eek: and I must take stock in what I put into my self. The above menu, (recipes) sound great.

christa
07-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Ok, This thread is HOT!!!

Sign me up, I will keep checking the up-dates every Monday.

No no . . . Check EVERY DAY!!!

I hope that this thread stays active all week long . . . I just plan to restart a new thread so the current thread doesn't go for an eternity.

I had started a thread about 2 weeks ago and it was 150 posts long in no time! That's why we're starting this new format . . . opening our fitness club, so to speak.

So come often, update often & enjoy!!!

christa
07-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Just wanted to check in and let you know that I had stopped at our local Dairy Mart for hubby and while I was in there I was certain I was getting myself a big huge candy bar. I didn't do it!! I remembered that the local farmer's market was just down the road so I said NO CHOCOLATE and went and bought myself some fresh peaches instead. This is a big deal to me...lol.

Robin, yet another hurdle that you've overcome! Those temptations are going to come up and you've just got to find ways to overcome them, and looks like you're making the right decisions!!! Awesome job! You make me so proud!!! :D

Toby's my baby
07-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Wow this sounds great!! It's really hard to eat healthy for me, because I do not like veggies at all. I can not eat them, I throw up. The only things I eat are green beans, corn, and potatoes. Its really sad. I tried really hard to eat a salad about a month ago, and I could hardly do it. :o I REALLY REALLY wish I liked healthy food, because I would eat it. :(

I'm not over weight though, from not eatting "the best" I weight like...115-120?? and I'm 5'5 1/2". I LOVE to work out, I'd have to say that is my favorite thing to do..seriously :p Basketball, riding horses (doesn't sound like a work out, but trust me, it is) and running are my 3 favorite things. I USED to run 2 miles a day, but kinda dropped that...:o I guess this thread has motivated me, I'm gonna try and start running again! :) If it doesn't rain, I'm gonna go run 2 miles after we eat dinner. . :D I'm proud of myself ;)

Anybody got any good snacks/ meals for me? It might be hard, since I don't like a lot of veggies.....

Almita
07-03-2006, 06:10 PM
This sounds like a good idea! Monday thru Saturday at night I go for a 2 mile jog it keeps me fit. I have been trying to get some healthy meals but I can't find any good reciepies. That would be great!

christa
07-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Anybody got any good snacks/ meals for me? It might be hard, since I don't like a lot of veggies.....

So glad to hear that you're being motivated again!!! I like veggies but not really as snacks . . . so I kinda know what you mean.

Snacks for me usually consist of things like lowfat/lowcarb yogurt, a handful of almonds, a hardboiled egg, a spoonful of natural peanutbutter, an apple, a few slices of turkey, a wrap of some sort . . .

Hmm, that's all I can think of right now . . . does that give you any new ideas???

Toby's my baby
07-03-2006, 07:41 PM
yum...yougurt! lol. Is there a better kind of yougurt than others?? One that is more heathy perhaps?? I can't eat apples, peanuts, or hard carrots at the moment because I have braces. I CAN eat apples, its just a hassle because they are hard to chew, and you have to cut them up small. Its also hard to get them out of your braces :o Lucky for me, I get my braces off in about a month in a half.

What kind of "wrap" do you have?? Or perhaps, what kind can you make?

christa
07-03-2006, 07:42 PM
Turkey Meatballs

1 ½ pounds or 1 package of ground turkey
1 tsp Basil
S&P to taste
½ cup minced onion (or half a fresh onion, chopped)
½ cup parsley
1 egg white
1 tsp garlic powder
¼ cup seasoned bread crumbs
oil
jar Tomato Sauce of your choice (we use Ragu Light or Healthy Choice)

Mix ground turkey, bread crumbs, basil, S&P, onion, parsley, egg white & garlic powder in a bowl. You may want to use your hands to make sure everything is blended well.

Heat your skillet, med/lo.

Form meatballs and sit aside. I usually use about a tablespoon full of the mixture for each meatball. You can make them as big or as small as you’d like.

Pour a splash of oil into your pan. Just enough to coat the bottom.

Lay your meatballs into the pan and turn the heat up to medium.

Cover the skillet and let them cook for a few minutes . . . when the meatballs are no
longer pink on top, turn them over. I use a spatula & tongs, so they’ll be brown on both sides. This should only take about 10 minutes.

When they’re done, pour in as much of the sauce as you’d like. Stir the meatballs until they’re coated and cover until the sauce is bubbly.

Serve with WHOLE WHEAT pasta, Brown Rice, or a vegetable.

Enjoy!!!

christa
07-03-2006, 07:45 PM
yum...yougurt! lol. Is there a better kind of yougurt than others?? One that is more heathy perhaps?? I can't eat apples, peanuts, or hard carrots at the moment because I have braces. I CAN eat apples, its just a hassle because they are hard to chew, and you have to cut them up small. Its also hard to get them out of your braces :o Lucky for me, I get my braces off in about a month in a half.

What kind of "wrap" do you have?? Or perhaps, what kind can you make?

You have to look at the label when it comes to yogurt. We shop at Kroger and eat the Kroger brand because we have found that it has what we want when it comes to nutritional value. It is low carb, low sugar, high protein. Just be careful . . . some of the yogurts with all the fruity stuff have a TON of sugar and won't do you a bit of good! :eek:

As far as the wraps go . . . I like to use whole wheat tortillas or the veggie/spinach tortillas and then I put spinach lettuace on them and then either tuna (I LOVE the new tuna that is flavored) . . . and then feta cheese. Wrap it up and it's GREAT! ;)

carole
07-03-2006, 07:45 PM
Well I posted in the other thread before noticing our grand opening here.

I am finally on track again, in my second day now, early days yet, but i feel confident that once the week is through i am on my way again.
\
I will need lots of inspiration and encouragement from you all,but hopefully I can report in with good efforts.

Robilee that is awesome what you did, I am not sure i could have done that, pat yourself on the back , and keep it up, YOU CAN DO IT and none of us have to do it alone anymore.

Good luck to everyone.

buckner
07-03-2006, 10:42 PM
and green peppers, chopped canned tomatoes, and corn. I really like this combination. When we reheat leftovers I have it over cooked potatoes. That's what we are having for dinner tonight. The most simple thing I can think of is stir-fry or fajitas. Really, there is no recipe to this crazy madness. I drizzle a little bit of EVOO in a big pain, let it heat up, and then toss is a ton of chopped/julienned veggies. I always use green peppers (or any colour I have) and onions, and sometimes will add cabbage, cauli, broccoli, carrots, or spinach. I'll add anything I have on hand, actually. If I'm doing a stir-fry type of thing, I'll put it with some whole wheat or brown rice. If I'm doing fajitas, I'll throw it in some whole wheat or veggie tortilla shells and gobble it up! You can also add any kind of meat (chicken, turkey, lean steak, shrimp, crab, etc...), it's all wonderful!

Okay, that's what I thought of off of the top of my head. Let me go look through my recipes! :)

buckner
07-03-2006, 10:45 PM
and green peppers, chopped canned tomatoes, and corn. I really like this combination. When we reheat leftovers I have it over cooked potatoes. That's what we are having for dinner tonight. Do you like mushrooms?

Portobello Burgers

4 large Portobello mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, sliced into very thin slivers
1 tsp. fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp. dried, (optional)
1 tsp. fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp. dried, (optional )
1 1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat broiler or grill.

2. Wipe mushrooms with damp cloth. Remove stems. With paring knife, make slits in tops of caps. Stuff slivers of garlic and herbs (if using) into slits.

3. In small bowl, whisk together oil and vinegar with salt and pepper to taste. Brush mushrooms with oil mixture. Place mushrooms, cap-side down, on pan and broil or grill until soft and brown, about 3 to 5 minutes per side.

Makes 4 servings.

I wouldn't go to the trouble of thyme or rosemary, but you do what you want! :) Slap this sucker on a whole wheat bun, and you've got yourself a tasty "burger!"

buckner
07-03-2006, 10:49 PM
Oh, and you said you liked salads, but they get old? Why not spice it up by doing something with a Mexican kick? A taco salad, for instance?

Do you eat meat? If so, cook up some lean ground turkey or grill some lean chicken strips. Set them aside. To a bowl, add your lettuce, tomato, olives, black beans, fat free sour cream, reduced fat cheese, and then your meat. Pretty low in calories, if you do it right. :) Add some fancy kicked up taco sauce, and BAM! :D

OR, vegetable pasta salads? Or a lettuce free salad? Seriously. Chop up thick cubes/chunks of carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, and anything else you may enjoy (beans, cheese, green peppers, etc.) and drizzle your favourite low-fat dressing over top, and enjoy!

Let me know if these are not your cup of tea, and I'll do some more rootin'.

christa
07-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Or a lettuce free salad?

Those are some great recipes, Sara! But a lettuce free salad??? We have replaced regular iceberg lettuce with spinach lettace and it is so good! Full of nutrients! I eat it in my salads, on my sandwiches, in my wraps . . . love the stuff!

And to add a comment about the stirfry & fajita tip you gave previously . . . for those of you who are looking for an even quicker meal, Sara is right, fajitas and stirfrys are the way to go. An even quicker approach is to look for a stirfry or fajita frozen veggie bag at your grocery store. You can get the veggies already sliced, frozen, and all you have to do is throw them in the pan, follow the directions and you don't have to go to the trouble of slicing them up yourself.

Of course, it's never as good as using FRESH VEGGIES . . . but in a pinch, it's easier. :)

christa
07-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Do you like mushrooms?

Portobello Burgers

Hmmm . . . I've always wanted to try this . . . I just can't imagine that a mushroom could taste that meaty. Might have to try it though! You're really inspiring me to step out of the box, Ms. Sara! ;) Got me drinking soymilk & everything!

By the way, guys, if you haven't tried Silk, you should! It's yummy! :) And good for you!

christa
07-04-2006, 10:17 AM
I know it's a holiday & most everyone is probably having a vacation day today, but that's no reason to be lazy! If anything, it's a reason to get out and get something done today!

I am going to have to get to the Y early today . . . they are closing it down early and will kick us out at around 3, if not earlier. But got to get that heavy leg workout in! My arms are killing me from last night's workout with hubby! And I'm sure they'll just get worse . . . they usually do!

:D Have a great day everyone!

christa
07-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Sara: Do you have any FISH recipes? I am making cod tonight & don't know what to do with it! :eek: Ever make cod??? I've made it before, just threw it in the oven with some lemon, butter & herbs . . . is that all I can do with it? Anything fancier? LOL

Russian Blue
07-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Finally a health club I can join! :D Good idea.

Well, I've been making some slow advances over the last 2 months. Everytime I pass another birthday I always tell myself this will be the year that I will be healthier.

I totally cut out any juices and pop. I only drink water since I didn't want extra calories and sugar being in my beverages. I thought it would be harder but it was quite easy. Anytime I wanted something other than water I would mix a little flavoured water in my glass. Eventually I cut that out also. If I want OJ I eat an orange or if I want apple juice I'll eat an apple. Much more nutrience that way.

I seem to go through craving cycles. I week I'll want bread....muffins, bagels, homemade bread, etc. Then the next week I'll want chocolate,chocolate, chocolate. :eek: Not good.

I've reduced my carb intake by replacing the potatoes, rice, pasta with salad and veggies. A great new recipe I found was cauliflower stirfry rice. Instead of adding rice to your meals you substitue cauliflower. I've also substituted cauliflower for pototoe in many recipes. Just spice it up more and it works great for us!

Beyond the beverages, I just limit quantities of food instead of eliminating them all together. If I totally eliminated things from my life (like chocolate) I would die and not enjoy life. ;)

Also, no eating after 6/7 at night and definately no carbs after 2 pm for me. I'll see how I do over the next two months. But it's always easier in the summer when veggies and fruit are in season. It's the dreaded fall/winter that I can pack on the pounds. ;)

buckner
07-04-2006, 01:54 PM
Sara: Do you have any FISH recipes? I am making cod tonight & don't know what to do with it! :eek: Ever make cod??? I've made it before, just threw it in the oven with some lemon, butter & herbs . . . is that all I can do with it? Anything fancier? LOL

I've never cooked cod, can you believe it?! I've done a ton of salmon and tilapia, and a few other fishes.. must try cod soon! :) But I've done something very similar to this with tilapia.

INGREDIENTS:
2 zucchini, sliced
1 large potato, sliced
1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 large carrots, sliced
4 (4 ounce) fillets cod
1 tablespoon dried dill weed
2 roma (plum) tomatoes, sliced
1 fresh red chile pepper, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
sea salt to taste
coarsely ground black pepper to taste

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x12 inch baking dish.
In the baking dish, arrange the zucchini, potato, green onions, and carrots. Place the cod on top of the vegetables, and sprinkle with dill. Arrange tomato slices over the cod, and sprinkle with red chile pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice, and season with sea salt and pepper.
Cover dish with aluminum foil, and bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until vegetables are tender and fish is easily flaked with a fork.

I just use whatever veggies I have on hand, too... just make sure they can roast well. :D

Also, baking a fish with lemon, pepper, and thyme is wonderful - and to kick it up, add some kind of sauce/glaze/homemade salsa and it's the BEST! TGIF's Bruschetta Tilapia is to die for, imo. :)

christa
07-04-2006, 02:52 PM
Russian Blue: Welcome! Glad you joined us!!! I agree that it's good that you eat your carbs early in the day! The earlier you eat your carbs, the better chance you have of burning them off! :)

Sara: Thanks for the recipe idea! I will try a "variation" of that . . . I don't have all the ingredients on hand and there's no way I'm going to try to get to the store right now! :eek: LOL . . . I'm guessing traffic is pretty bad right now! Gotta make dinner though . . . hubby is hungry! LOL

Rachel
07-04-2006, 03:48 PM
Yes, I LOVE mushrooms. Great meal suggestions, Sara, thanks a lot, and RB, I like the idea of substituting cauliflower for rice. One thing I've tried and couldn't quite get into is the brown rice, but I intend to give it another chance too.

Another meal I enjoy, I call Plate-O-Vegetables, which is steamed cauliflower, brocolli, carrots, and potatoes with a bit of Smart Balance on the potatoes.

Christa, you are prompting me to do my exercises today. Drat the luck. I was going to have another holiday from them!

christa
07-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Rachel: Glad I could help. :) Just go easy on the potatoes . . . they're loaded with carbs. ;)

Actually that brings up a good subject, STARCHY Veggies. You don't want to completely limit them, just be careful about your portion sizes. Starchy veggies include corn, peas, potatoes, sweet potatoes (yams), and squash. These all have a high carb content.

Any veggie that is on the non-starch list is low in calories & high in fiber & loaded with vitamines & minerals, so you can eat as much as you'd like!!! (like spinach, broccoli, carrots, onions, celery, cucumbers) You'll be full quicker and won't be putting the bad stuff into your body!

:D

carole
07-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Lots of nice helpful recipes, well on my third day on programme still going strong.

buckner
07-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Actually that brings up a good subject, STARCHY Veggies. You don't want to completely limit them, just be careful about your portion sizes. Starchy veggies include corn, peas, potatoes, sweet potatoes (yams), and squash. These all have a high carb content. Speaking of potatoes - if you're wanting a potato with your meal, have a sweet potato! They're better for you than regular potatoes (vitamins and nutrients) AND they also have a low calorie and carb count. :) I love me some sweet potatoes!

buckner
07-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Sara: Thanks for the recipe idea! I will try a "variation" of that . . . I don't have all the ingredients on hand and there's no way I'm going to try to get to the store right now! :eek: LOL . . . I'm guessing traffic is pretty bad right now! Gotta make dinner though . . . hubby is hungry! LOL I usually never follow the recipe, unless I'm baking. I won't go out and buy certain veggies just because the recipe says so - unless it's some kind of specific cuisine that calls for garlic that I don't have, or celery, or something. :) The best "veggie" recipes are just starters, really.. they're there to get you thinking, and you can basically substitute anything you have for any of the ingredients!

Kfamr
07-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Some of my favorite repices that have been requested:

Veggie Meals/Snacks:

Veggie Quesodillas -
Whole Wheat tortillas
Cheese
Cabbage
Carrots
And any other veggie you like.

Shred/dice the veggies - sautee if you prefer cooked veggies.
Lay tortilla in pan - sprinkle cheese and veggies on top and add another tortilla.

Toast it in the pan, apply pressure with a spatuala to make it "stick" together. Toast until crispy and cheese melts.

For fish, I LOVE making cooking it in foil on the grill.

Different combos I've made and LOVED:

Black Olives
Green Olives
Garlic
Olive Oil
Red Peppers

Green Peppers
Onions
Lemon Juice

Just lay the fish in the foil - I usually put a rew hot red pepper slices on the foil first. Cut all of the "toppings" and put them on top. Add the olive oil or lemon juice. Fold up and put it on the grill. :)

Salads?

One of my favorites...

Tomatoes, Onions, and cucumbers in italian dressing. Cut them to whatever size you prefer and add the dressing. Green peppers are also a nice flavor in this mix.

I haven't really cared to tell anyone but I've been working on losing weight. I eat a lot heathier than I used to. I can't remember the last I've dranken soda - and usually it's only once in a while. I've cut back on my sweet tea drinking (so much sugar!) It's rare I drink anything but water anymore.

It is a "routine" for me to lay in bed and have a small snack and watch T.V. before I fall asleep. It's weird falling asleep without doing so but recently I have or else I've eaten something like cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, apples, mandarine oranges.

Those are the type of snacks I like most but they aren't always available and I can't afford them sometimes. (Dang dogs eat better than I do. :rolleyes: )

So many places offer cold-cut sandwhiches and a choice of healthier sides instead of fries. I try going for the other sides.

One problem I'm working on right now is DIPPING things. Not fruits/veggies because I like those plain. But I like to dip chicken, and potato type thing, etc in RANCH dressing. I've cut down so I'm proud of that but there was a point where I was using 3-4 packets of dipping sauce in one sitting. Now I only always myself to use one.

These are silly steps but certainly in the right direction!

christa
07-05-2006, 07:46 AM
Kay: Excellent receipe ideas! Sounds yummy! And sounds like you're really doing great, getting healthy & sticking with it. I know what you mean about cutting back on the "sauces"!!! I was a honey mustard addict, LOL . . . I think I've just about got rid of ALL of it though. I don't think there is a jar in this house . . . unless there is one in the cupboard . . . and I'm pretty sure there isn't. :eek: I am finally to the point where I can eat it either plain or with something like fat free sour cream.

Sara: You're right - sweet potatoes are a better choice than regular potatoes. I sub them in my veggie soup - that's about the only time we eat them. But you'll be surprised to know that they are actually higher in calories than a regular potato. Not by much though :) . . . the benefits come in the form of FIBER. The sweet potato has almost double the fiber and more beta-carotene. Just remember that most of the fiber comes from the skin, so try to eat as much of it as you can . . . that's the best part!!! :D

buckner
07-05-2006, 08:14 AM
Sara: You're right - sweet potatoes are a better choice than regular potatoes. I sub them in my veggie soup - that's about the only time we eat them. But you'll be surprised to know that they are actually higher in calories than a regular potato. Not by much though :) . . . the benefits come in the form of FIBER. The sweet potato has almost double the fiber and more beta-carotene. Just remember that most of the fiber comes from the skin, so try to eat as much of it as you can . . . that's the best part!!! :D Acckk, I meant fiber, not calories. :o And are you KIDDING me?!?! The skin IS the best part. Of either a sweet potato or a regular baking potato, I'll skip the insides and go for the skin, if need be to choose. :P

christa
07-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Acckk, I meant fiber, not calories. :o And are you KIDDING me?!?! The skin IS the best part. Of either a sweet potato or a regular baking potato, I'll skip the insides and go for the skin, if need be to choose. :P

That's great . . . I just know that most people dig out the insides & scrap the skin for all it's worth & leave it on the plate, never considering that they're leaving behind the most nutritious part of the potato.

The only time I won't really eat much of the skin is if I'm eating out . . . I'm really picky about some things . . . I just like to know that my sweet potato has been scrubbed thoroughly before I eat the skin, LOL . . . but like I said before, I rarely even eat them. Good choice when you're craving something starchy though! ;)

christa
07-05-2006, 11:17 AM
As I said before, GO EASY ON THE STARCHY VEGGIES! But as long as we're talking about Sweet Potatoes, here are some of my fav recipes . . . besides just a regular baked sweet potato. :)

Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Garlic

Ingredients:
2 medium sweet potatoes, washed and scrubbed
1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, sliced thin (or you can use garlic powder if you're in a hurry)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 475-degrees.

Slice sweet potatoes into very thin rounds.

On baking sheet toss with garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.

Roast in preheated oven on middle rack, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes or until crisp.

Rosemary-Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients:
2 pounds sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
3 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/2-tablespoon dried
2 tablespooons chopped parsley
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:
In casserole dish, combine sweet potatoes, garlic, rosemary and olive oil. Toss to coat.

Bake at 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes, turning occasionally.

Just before serving, sprinkle with pine nuts, parsley, salt and pepper.

Just limit your portions with any starchy veggies that you consume and you should be fine. ;)

finn's mom
07-05-2006, 11:22 AM
This thread is really awesome. I'm doing great today, hahaha, but, it's not even noon, yet. ;) Going to work out, though, so, I know I'll feel great when I do that!

christa
07-05-2006, 12:50 PM
This thread is really awesome. I'm doing great today, hahaha, but, it's not even noon, yet. ;) Going to work out, though, so, I know I'll feel great when I do that!

So glad you're enjoying it . . . let us know how the workout goes! ;)

My Peanuts
07-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Hey guys, I could really use some motivation to get my butt to the gym after work today. I'm really tired from our 4th of July party yesterday and all I can think about is popping a movie in the DVD player and vegging out. I really need to go since I was unable to go yesterday.

christa
07-05-2006, 03:32 PM
Whenever I'm not wanting to go to the gym, I tell myself . . . I'll go and just stay for 20 minutes . . . then I usually end up getting in the best workout EVER!!! That 20 minutes will turn into an hour and 20 minutes! :eek: Not sure how that works, LOL.

My Peanuts
07-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Whenever I'm not wanting to go to the gym, I tell myself . . . I'll go and just stay for 20 minutes . . . then I usually end up getting in the best workout EVER!!! That 20 minutes will turn into an hour and 20 minutes! :eek: Not sure how that works, LOL.

Thanks Christa. That does help. At least it gets me there and even if it's only 40 minutes, it's better than skipping!

carole
07-05-2006, 05:48 PM
I hear what everyone is saying about starchy veges, but honestly i have everything, but i just limit the portion size, I imagine sweet potato is the same as kumara in NZ, a yellow sweet tasting potato with a purple skin, they are my fav, even Weight watchers no longer count peas and corn, on the older programmes they used to be considered as one portion one bread, now they are Zero, well i know peas are,not so certain about corn,I think as long as you don't go overboard on them you should enjoy them if that is what you prefer, I have never done without the things i enjoy in life, just kept them to a minimum and have been very successful at loosing weight.

My fav treat is a Wendy' chocollo ice cream, at 2 and half points they are great value, and i never ever feel guilty having one, I even have a reward card, when its filled i get a freebie, I always have these when on programme.

Fourth day for me, probably was not as good yesterday as I should have been, but i was not bad either, just ate more portions of fruit than i was allowed, but feeling good and continuing with the battle lol. :)

jazzcat
07-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Just a quick check in. I'm glad to see this thread is so popular. I'll have to pour over it later tonight for all the great recipes and tips.

I've been a BAD girl! I cheated really badly this weekend and today I feel like I'm suffering from a sugar hangover. I did exercise a lot but I ate lots of bad stuff. Oh well, I'm not letting it get me down - that's life. I'm doing better today - back on the wagon but boy oh boy did I get road rash from falling off this weekend. :o

christa
07-05-2006, 06:55 PM
I've been a BAD girl! I cheated really badly this weekend and today I feel like I'm suffering from a sugar hangover.

Don't worry, Lori . . . that happens. But when you've come so far, you can afford to "cheat". :) Just as long as you don't fall off the wagon for good! And I really doubt you gained 5 or 10 pounds from 1 weekend of splurging. Or did you? LOL

BTW, I had 2 family reunions that I went to this weekend and I cheated a little myself . . . so really, don't feel bad. I don't. Of course, I worked my butt off earlier in the week, with those *deserts* in mind!!! :D

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
07-06-2006, 12:00 AM
I've been doing alright. I haven't been WATCHING what I eat, so much as I have been LIMITING what I eat. I've lost about five pounds.

I am going on vacation from July 14th - July 23rd. We will be camping the whole time, so I sure hope I am able to exersize a little, do some walking, swimming, playing games while I'm there and not eat too badly. It's hard to eat healthy up north, that's for sure! I'll have to limit myself to maybe ONE smore, not two or three like I'd usually have... I'll have to maybe pass on desert and not get second helpings. Eat slow so I realize I'm full... no food past 8 and small ice cream cones, not larges! I want to see if I can pull an entire week and a half... my WHOLE vacation... without a soda!! I need to stop drinking soda... but man... Diet Pepsi is my security blanket!! I'll try though. I haven't had any soda today. Go me!

Keep going guys, I know we can all do this. :)

Rachel
07-06-2006, 05:40 AM
Have you ladies seen the number of views for this thread already? Wow! Some absolutely great food suggestions. The roasted sweet potatoes are a favorite of mine. Yes, I do love my potatoes, but they are not my downfall.

If I could just quit the *after dinner eating*, I think I would be alright. Unfortunately last night I had after dinner: a piece of banana bread and a glass of chocolate soy milk, several reduced fat wheat thins with roasted red pepper hummus, a granola bar and ice tea (no sugar). Not that any of these things were horrible in and of themselves, it is just that these are the extra calories that prevent me from losing and make me pack on a pound here and a pound there.

Oh during the day, I also had perhaps 6 Hershey's dark chocolate kisses too. I was deep into trying to find how to correct a mistake on my accounting software, resorted to this. But every day is a new day and I'm not going to let the mistakes of yesterday, thwart me from trying again.

christa
07-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Have you ladies seen the number of views for this thread already? Wow!

I know . . . I am thrilled that so many are "lurking" . . . even if they aren't joining, YET . . . I hope they will soon!

That's the point though . . . to get people thinking about their health. Motivate people to want to live well, be well . . . and hoping that this will pay off for a lot of people on this board! :D

Vermontcat
07-06-2006, 03:25 PM
I've been keeping busy so I have only had time to lurk in this thread so far. ;)
Is everbody drinking their water?
Has everyone gotten in their exercise for the day?
Has everyone been eating healthy?

Rachel, try to drink a glass of water when you get those late night cravings for a snack.
You can also find something to keep you busy, like folding laundry or walking the dogs so you don't think about being hungry.

Christa, the place looks great, it's nice to see Fitness Friday's is up and running. :)

Rachel
07-06-2006, 06:16 PM
I've been keeping busy so I have only had time to lurk in this thread so far. ;)
Is everbody drinking their water?
Has everyone gotten in their exercise for the day?
Has everyone been eating healthy?

Rachel, try to drink a glass of water when you get those late night cravings for a snack.
You can also find something to keep you busy, like folding laundry or walking the dogs so you don't think about being hungry.

Yup, did my exercises. I drink Ice Tea instead of water. Figure I might as well get my antioxidants. Don't worry, no sugar.

Sometimes I end up being more hungary after I eat than before. That physiological mechanism that makes food stimulate your appetite seems to be haywire with me. It's either that or my body has calculated the number of calories it wants in any given day, and it's not going to give up until it gets them. Don't get me wrong, it's not an excuse as to why I can't lose weight, just a reason why I need to worker harder at it.

Pam
07-06-2006, 07:32 PM
I just ran across these and immediately thought of our little group here at PT. ;)

http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/13.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/exercising/2.gif

Unfortunately this is as close to exercising as I have gotten recently. :o

buckner
07-06-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm coming here because I've got no where else to go. :(

As most of you know, I've had to deal with a tragedy that happened about 6 months back. That onset my depression again (went through a year of it after my grandfather died, started losing weight after, and here I am back in depression) and I thought I could handle it. Well... I can't. I've gotten medication from my doctor who really didn't want to give me medication because it will "make me suicidal"... but oh well. I have it, and I'm starting tomorrow morning. But....

If I'm at work, I'm fine. My mind is off of things. If I'm not at work, I'm here. If I'm here, I'm either crying or sleeping.. and to avoid crying all of the time, I try to do something. But most of the time, I get bored, and end up just eating. I've noticed lately that I'll just be eating to eat... not hungry, feel sick afterwards, even. I know what I'm doing... I just don't seem to care. Don't get me wrong - I care enough to know that I do NOT want to be 231lbs again.. but I just can't seem to shake this. :(

With my current work schedule, I'd have breakfast at 9am. Go to work from 10-2. Have lunch around 2:30-3. Go to work at 4-10. Come home and eat dinner. Then sleep. That alone was slowly putting weight on me, unfortunately.. even if I only ate 800 calories that day. No joke. What time you eat REALLY does matter.. unfortunately. So I was slowly putting weight on, so my mindset was "if I'm going to be gaining weight in an unfair way, why not just eat what I want..". So that's what I've been doing.. and I admit it. :(

I've yet to step on the scale, because I really don't want to know what it's done to me. :( But I do know it's putting weight on me becuase my pants are beginning to be a tad too tight - I can still get my fat arse in them, but they're tighter than they once were. Before, I didn't need to unzip them to get them over my hips and such. Now, well... lets just say, I DO need to unzip them, among other things, to get them on. And I'm trying to obsess about numbers anymore, so I just want to go on how I feel and how my clothes fit.

So... I'm hoping to be BACK on this. I don't want to gain this weight back, really, I don't. But it seemed like, whatever I ate, it was putting weight on me. Maybe I was just getting bloated, becuase my pants were tighter, even if only eating 800 calories a day. So. Advice? Do I just not eat dinner? I cannot eat at work.... I can eat at my first job, but my second job I can't - I don't have the time, really.

This is all really getting to me, and it's not helping my "normal" depression any bit... with my weight gain added on, it's just driving me up the wall.

:( :( :(

Toby's my baby
07-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Whoo Hoo!! Thumbs up for me today!! I babysat a 4 year old and a 6 year old all day, which is a workout itself ;) Played with thier dogs. Played some golf today, rode horse, played with my own dogs, ran two miles, shot baskets, and took another walk. :) I'm so proud of myself. Its only 10 PM and I can already tell i'll sleep JUST FINE tonight :p

Congrats to everyone else who is working out, and eatting healthy!

Almita
07-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Whoo Hoo!! Thumbs up for me today!! I babysat a 4 year old and a 6 year old all day, which is a workout itself ;) Played with thier dogs. Played some golf today, rode horse, played with my own dogs, ran two miles, shot baskets, and took another walk. :) I'm so proud of myself. Its only 10 PM and I can already tell i'll sleep JUST FINE tonight :p

Congrats to everyone else who is working out, and eatting healthy!

Wow congrats Beth! I see you had a busy day especially with the kiddos. yet tomorrow you might have a busy one with the kiddos also. Congrats!

jazzcat
07-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Buckner - I wish I knew something to say to you to help. I'm not good with words but I just want you to know that I think you are a very beautiful young lady and have accomplished so much already. I hope you can see that in yourself and not let the depression get the better of you. Hang in there. (((HUGS)))

Rachel
07-07-2006, 08:59 AM
Buckner, I've not had to deal with a great deal of depression, but I am very familiar with its evil cousin, anxiety, and yes, I am prone to medicate myself with food. You have accomplished so much with the weight loss, I'd hate to see you have to start all over again. That too would be depressing.

It seems you have an extremely difficult work schedule. I wonder if that isn't contributing to your problem. What type of work do you do? If you are consuming so very few calories and still gaining weight, I think you need to discuss this with your doctor. Have you tried writing down everything you are eating to see if in fact there are more calories than you are aware of?

Give your medication a chance to kick in. Please don't get discouraged. You are one of our heros and you need support, perhaps more than you can get in an on line situation. (((HUGS))) from me too.

Vermontcat
07-07-2006, 03:47 PM
More hugs for Buckner...

With your busy work schedule I would recommend eating a bigger meal between jobs around 3 PM and then after you finish the 2nd job at 10 PM try something lighter like a power bar or a salad, something with less carbs etc.
How many days of the week is your schedule like this? If you have a weekend off then I would recommend eating healthy at the regular times then and fitting in more exercise then if you can to help balance out your work days.

finn's mom
07-07-2006, 04:14 PM
wow, buckner, i wish i knew what to say. :( i'm glad you came here, though, there's a lot of support for you here!

I did good today...I ate a good breakfast, a good lunch, and, I plan to do the same with dinner. I've eaten something small between breakfast and lunch, and, i'm about to eat something else here in the next hour or so. i try to eat six small meals a day, i tend to better that way. and, i worked out! yay! i feel sweaty and a little sore, but, it feels great!

Toby's my baby
07-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Great job Kari!! :D

I'm sorry Sara, I dont know what to say either. Like Kari said, I'm glad you came here, we all care about you.

I figured out something for myself today. :p I keep filling an empty mountain dew can with water! :p It sounds stupid, I know, but, when ever I go to the fridge for something to drink, and I see my open "mountain dew" I drink that! :)

I can't wait till the temperature drops later, so I can go exercise. Its 90 degrees, and VERY humid right now :o

christa
07-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Sara: I am really sorry that you are having such a difficult time. Give the meds a chance. I can hardly believe that your doc would put you on a med for depression that would make you suicidial though. Seems to defeat the purpose . . . that just confuses me. Looks like an "anti-depressant" would do the trick . . . what did they put you on? Anyway, I really wish I could help more . . . I feel helpless. You know how to get in touch with me if you need me. Hang in there hon! ;)

Almita
07-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Aww i'm so sorry Sara that you are having a difficult time :(

Good Job Kari and nice Beth with the mountain dew water haha

today i rode my bicycle for 2 miles then later on the day i went for my 2 mile jog.

I have also been drinking a lot of water latley, but i still have a craving for coke and root beer.

carole
07-07-2006, 11:53 PM
well I have come to confess my sins, i too fell off the wagon for two days, I am really annoyed at myself, i had four good days and now two bad ones, and yes it will affect my weight loss, there just won't be any, never mind i am almost back on track now, it was just temptation, my daughter's friends mother made some home-made chocolate chip cookies and peanut brownies, both my favourite and i was only going to have one, that was bad enough, one ended up being four, and well you all know the rest, it just went on from there, my mind always says well once you have blown it you better make the most of it.

Oh well I am back with it again, and hoping to not do this again in a hurry, but i Cannot say confidently i won't be nawtee again. :(

buckner
07-08-2006, 07:36 AM
well I have come to confess my sins, i too fell off the wagon for two days, I am really annoyed at myself, i had four good days and now two bad ones, and yes it will affect my weight loss, there just won't be any, never mind i am almost back on track now, it was just temptation, my daughter's friends mother made some home-made chocolate chip cookies and peanut brownies, both my favourite and i was only going to have one, that was bad enough, one ended up being four, and well you all know the rest, it just went on from there, my mind always says well once you have blown it you better make the most of it.

Oh well I am back with it again, and hoping to not do this again in a hurry, but i Cannot say confidently i won't be nawtee again. :( I don't think any of us can say we won't be naughty again. But one bad day won't hurt you in the long run. It's when you make a constant habit of having one bad day after the next....

I talked to my mom about my weight not being able to give because of my schedule - she told me to quit working. Seriously. She said she doesn't care if I work this summer; if it's the money I want, she'll give it to me. She said it's not worth gaining all this stupid weight back. But, I said I'm gonna give it a few more weeks and see what happens. Try a whole new idea - not eating when I get home from the second job. I'm going to see where that leads me. :)

christa
07-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Sara: If that means you're going to go to bed starving, BAD IDEA!

I am worn out . . . I did a serious back workout with hubby yesterday and then rolled a paint roller all day today, LOL . . . my lats are killing me!!!

Time for a shower & some relaxing!!!

Hubby made the best salad last night!!! Love it when he does stuff like that . . . then I don't have to cook as much. It's a BIG salad. Probably will last for a week!!! :eek:

Rachel
07-09-2006, 05:46 AM
Speaking of salads, I mentioned that I eat a lot of them but I get sick of them after awhile. Strangest thing though is I seem to do better on the days I DO eat them. My point being that sometimes what you do eat is as important as what you don't eat. Of course that is obvious for health and nutrition, but I'm speaking of weight control here.

Buckner, I am that last person to offer you advice after what you have achieved and I haven't, but here I go anyway. I think Vermontcat's suggestion of eating your main meal in the middle of the day and a good salad for your evening meal might be worth a try.

Vermontcat
07-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Buckner, I think you would do better to eat at least a little something after your second job, maybe just a banana or a light yogurt before you go to sleep.
If you have to quit your job, maybe quitting the 2nd one would be better so then you could at least eat dinner at a more reasonable hour.

I am just wiped out today, yesterday I spent all day out in the hot sun at a horse show that my daughter was in. I love horses and spending the whole day surrounded by horses is something I just love to do. I just wish there was more shade around the riding rings, I have a bit of a sunburn today.
Toby's my baby, when are you doing your next horse show? Has your finger been feeling better? I know what you mean about horseback riding being real exercise, I rode last Sunday and my legs were sore for the next two days! You probably ride every day since you have your own horse. I hadn't ridden since last October but now that it's summer I hope to ride once a week when my daughter has her riding lesson.

Christa, it looks like the first week of Fitness Fridays is coming to an end.
I guess you will be starting a new thread for week 2 tomorrow, will you be putting a link to this thread in it?

carole
07-09-2006, 09:38 PM
Well two days kinda stretched to four days off track, but I am pleased to say I am back on track again, but i really do need to stay there, I have been doing this all winter, and whereas my weight gain is only 2kgs this winter instead of putting the whole lot back on and then some, i still want to loose more and be at goal for the coming summer.

So wish me luck folks, i need it believe me, and I hope everyone has a good week,as I sure intend to.,with hopefully some results to report in. :)

christa
07-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Christa, it looks like the first week of Fitness Fridays is coming to an end. I guess you will be starting a new thread for week 2 tomorrow, will you be putting a link to this thread in it?

Yes, tomorrow will start a new Fitness Friday! :eek: Week TWO!!! I think that a link is a great idea! I hadn't thought to do that. ;)

carole
07-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Well i am still on track on day two, I am really looking forward to my weight watchers chips tonight though, only two points and i get a whole 14 of them Yahoo,mind you being at the dentist today i wonder whether i will beable to chomp on them at all lol.,Oh well all good for the weight loss i suppose.

Muddy4paws
07-16-2006, 09:52 PM
Right I'm joining up!! :D

Probably the worse thing to give up will be fizzy drinks - I've tried at least twice! and failed both times but I'm definatly determind and hopefully this will last a long time! I got a goal to get to and hopefully Pt'ers can help too :D